The Flying Eyeball Revisted

earthsciteach

I built the wing and edf portion of this a while ago. It was way too pitchy to operate as a flying wing. I have been waiting for inspiration to come so I could decide where I wanted to go with it. Inspiration came yesterday morning!

The components are simply set in place in these photos. I need to glue everything together and add a servo for the canard. Then, its just work out the cg and go fly! DSCF6597.JPG DSCF6598.JPG DSCF6599.JPG DSCF6600.JPG DSCF6601.JPG

earthsciteach

The guts are out of a mini-F/A-18 50 mm. Right now I plan on using the stock battery which is an 850 mah, 11.1 V.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Ah, so this is what the canard mixing is for... Cool. I like the idea of having an EDF on a wing, although I think this looks cool too.

earthsciteach

Thanks! I'm gluing the twin booms in place now. I may replace them with more, um, petite ones soon. But for now, they'll do.

Pilot-294

i was oddly enough just thinking about the eyeball, the way it acted, i feel like it may have needed a more prominent vertical stabilizer. perhaps adding some verts to the wingtips or moving the existing ones off the end of the fuselages, that way they aren't stuck in that dead zone behind the flat ends of the fuselages, i have been thinking about the characteristics of its maiden for a while now, just my 2 cents but i felt that it made sense in my mind. (its a messed up place my mind tho hahahaha)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Teach, I like the idea...

After studying the pictures, I am thinking I may build something similar with some changes. I would turn the EDF around and use the canard as the horizontal stab and put the vertical stabs on the horizontal stab.

Not that I am a smart guy, but the fact of using a canard I think would make the plane very pitchy. May be great for high alpha, but I don't know.

I have a couple of 64mm EDF units and speed controls, so I may give something like this one a shot.

Come to think of it, it kind of looks like that Vampire Josh and Josh reviewed!

Last edited:

Fishbonez

Wow that is cool!! Teach now you know yours will be Awesome as well. Time to get that ADHD magic to work :cool:

earthsciteach

Bonez, I am torn between too many RC projects, once again! I finally got my new Spitfire airframe squared away with electronics and motor, but in a moment of stupidity, fried the motor. I have this F6F that needs a motor. I have this AWESOME nitro plane that Pilot-294 gave my RC club that will be an easy fix, if only I can focus long enough. My students in the RC club are doing an incredible job of boosting Hobbyzone profits due to their constant crashing of the MANY Champs and one UM P-51 that are buzzing around our gymnasium. They are really starting to piss me off. Too much crashing and not enough focus on flying well. My ADD is CRAZY bugging out!!!

Fishbonez

LOL. Patience young teacher get in touch with your Chi and focus ADD on thos planes. Drink many SAL but do not drive LOL. As for your students remeber for every crash their is something taught and something learned. Just may not know what that is. Kids are crazy that way.

Pilot-294

Kids need an incentive, give em wings or something. Or make some contests for fun, airplane limbo, or balloon pops. Something to make them want to hone their skills instead of enjoying the crash footage haha :) if you want some help setting up something I can help before I leave! I would love to do a contest of some sort. Been dying to do a balloon pop haha

Fishbonez

Kids need an incentive, give em wings or something. Or make some contests for fun, airplane limbo, or balloon pops. Something to make them want to hone their skills instead of enjoying the crash footage haha :) if you want some help setting up something I can help before I leave! I would love to do a contest of some sort. Been dying to do a balloon pop haha

That is a great idea Pilot