The Flying Eyeball

earthsciteach

Here's my latest random creation. Its a 50 mm EDF flying (I hope) wing. I'll maiden her tomorrow. I built it for a kid in my neighborhood whose 50 mm edf F/A-18 I've rebuilt so many times that there just isn't anything left of the nose to rebuild. I hope it is something he can fly better than the Hornet. We'll see about that tomorrow... photo2.JPG photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo.JPG

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Nice Eyeball you did there.

Yeah be aware that on any wingtypish plane the pitch will be VERY sensitive.
On my little Skyfighter (or just Mini Swift) I had to programm 80DR and 70Expo

earthsciteach

Yeah, particularly with the snub nose that this one has. If it is too pitchy, I was thinking of attaching foam and making it more of a delta.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I don´t know about sci´s suggestion if it work or not but if I take your idea and make it a little easier to do and making more sense (don´t get me wrong there).

I think adding foam tp the sides without (!!!) increasing the control surfaces would make a difference in pitchyness.
Because it is the control surface area in relation to the total area of the plane that give you the pitchiness.

earthsciteach

The wing is very short-coupled. Too short-coupled, in fact. Due to the small distance from the nose to the control surfaces, the cg is SO sensitive. Small changes in weight and distance from cg translate to large changes in "pitchiness." If I add a delta shaped foam to the front, it will give me a lot more "wiggle room" to work out cg.

I'm building this for a 7th grader in my neighborhood, so I want it to be much more docile than it currently is. I got a bit caught up in making for myself. I have to step back and tone her down a bit.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have the feeling that EDF's can go faster than normal props, but someone said on the forum that "EDF's are less efficient". How is this?
I only know that since you don't have prop wash, you need speed to have the control surfaces work.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Some sweep in the wing will also give you a wider range of acceptable CG to work with.
How much throw do you have on the elevons?
Are you sure the pitchiness is a CG issue?
How did you determine your starting point for the CG?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Oh- just reread your post. If you get the CG right and don't have too much throws on the elevons I think you'll be alright :)