The Flying Wing in FB

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Another build update!

I bought a brand new camera in my price range, ($15aud approx $10usd). Still need to learn how to drive it for best results though!

Added the fuselage top deck, (normally part of the fuselage piece but this build was done using as many scrap pieces as is possible)
Here is the outside or top view
Deck added.JPG

The inside view
Deck inside.JPG

The wing profiles cutout of the fuselage sides
Wing profile cut out.JPG

A quick test fit of the fuselage onto the wing!
Test fit.JPG

More later!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am definitely getting old! I was about to strip the servos out of the previous version for this build when I went looking through my box of miscellaneous bits and pieces to see if I had a firewall already cut out. Anyway, no fire wall BUT I did find 2 new 9gram servos that I forgot I had, (still in their packets with all of the accessories,

So I will only be borrowing the Motor, Esc, and possibly the Rx out of the donor. Removing the servos was going to get messy for sure. Leaving the servos in the donor aircraft makes it easier to refit the pieces after I strip out this build prior to handing it on.

Anyway progress,
Servos test fitted in wing showing access hole for the servo leads to the Rx.
Servo fit.JPG

The donor aircraft, (flown only an hour ago).
Donor.JPG

Removed motor and Esc along with the battery extension lead.
DSCF0005.JPG

More tomorrow I hope but then Christmas Eve?? Maybe not! Anyway more later SOMETIME!

Have fun!

Keno

If you like wings, have you tried jpot1's Wannabee Cude? ref: 176931_16fcefdba901f3ca10de2d5661829bf7.pdf. Easy to build and great to fly.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you like wings, have you tried jpot1's Wannabee Cude? ref: 176931_16fcefdba901f3ca10de2d5661829bf7.pdf. Easy to build and great to fly.
I have So many wings and wing plans I doubt I will live long enough to use them all.

This one is just a build on request for a local club member who has been very patient so far. Just clearing the books!

Have fun!

Keno

I have So many wings and wing plans I doubt I will live long enough to use them all.

This one is just a build on request for a local club member who has been very patient so far. Just clearing the books!

Have fun!
So do I but there always a new one that I have to try. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So do I but there always a new one that I have to try. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
I have so many that I get all sorts of them given to me. Most recent is an old but unused set of foam cores for a Bugs Ear. Time permitting I might do the build on the forum prior to giving it away!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Fuselage getting close to completion!

Here is the progress!

Bottom piece curved and ready to fit.
Curved bottom piece.JPG

Bottom piece glued in place
Bottom glued in place.JPG

Trimmed to fit
Hatch lid trimmed.JPG

Hatch lid test fit
hatch test fit.JPG

Hatch side pieces trimmed and test fitted prior to glue being applied.
Hatch side pieces.JPG

More later!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A little progress!

Glued and shaped the battery hatch/canopy as well as fitted and glued the wing in place.
Canopy trimmed and wing fitted.JPG

Cut and fitted a 3mm plywood bulkhead/engine mount. :NOTE: The plywood goes from the wing to the top of the fuselage. This leaves a gap to fit the ESC through and for ventilation if required! I used 5 minute epoxy!
Plywood bulkhead.JPG

Next time it is the fitting of the wing tip fins and then the sealing and painting.
Getting close!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A little progress today/yesterday.

It was time for the vertical stabilisers and rather than fit them in the usual place, (as per the FT gremlin) I decided to make them wing tip covers and vertical stabilisers.

Just hacked out a combination of the vertical fin and the wing profile. Made them somewhat larger than required as this will be going to a newbie when finished. He can trim them down later if required!

The wing tip stabilisers cut out and shape matched.
Wing tip fins.JPG

Glued stabilisers into position.

Ready to seal and paint.JPG

Next it needs to be sealed, (Minwaxed?), and painted. This could take a while as I cannot decide on a colour scheme!

More later!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sealed and painted!

Nothing fancy and actually quite rough but it is destined for a newbie after all.

Top view
Top side.JPG

Bottom view
Underside.JPG

Next is the fitout and setup!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Fit out mostly completed just the elevon servo horn alignment and the fitting of pushrods and control horns to go!

Motor fitted and esc fitted under the wing through the fuselage rear opening/ventilation.
Motor fitted.JPG

Elevon servos connected
Elevon servos plugged in.JPG

Esc plugged into Rx
ESC plugged in.JPG

Rx tucked away above wing
Rx Tucked away.JPG

Elevon servos glued into wing
Wing servos glued in.JPG

Test fitted the 1300 3S battery fully forward and the CG point and the actual CG are almost exactly correct at 42mm From wing LE.

One more post before maiden!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Finished the build and setup.

The pushrods
Pushrods.JPG

The pushrods and control horns fitted
Control horns fitted.JPG

Temporary Bungee hook
Temporary bungee hook.JPG

Bungee hook fitted
Bungee hook taped in position.JPG

Ready for its maiden flight
Ready for maiden 2!.jpg

Perhaps tomorrow if the weather improves!

Have fun!

Attachments

• Ready for maiden!.JPG
    Ready for maiden!.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Maidened it today there were only minor trim changes required though the elevator trim needed a fair more up trim than expected but then I suppose that was due to the thinner wing profile this time out!

I used my ground launch bungee, (no launch ramp), at it flew well from the beginning. I did 2 flights and tried using a fixed camera position using max electronic zoom so sorry if the pics are a little blurred.

Ready for launch
On the Launcher.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG

A few snaps from the blurry videos
Fly past 1.jpg
Fly past 2.jpg
Fly past 3.jpg

Anyway it flies and does so very well!

Let me know if you have any questions or if you decide to build one and have any issues!

Have fun!

Andrew

G'day Mate

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Very nice wing Hai-Lee, flies like it's on rails.
I built the balsa version of this wing many year's ago from the same plan, it's still my "go to model" for having fun. It flys and lands just like yours.

Have fun.
In FB a very simple model to build and fly but not to everyone's taste. Mine if almost 3 years old now and still burning up the sky of about 100Watts total power consumption, (throttle at max).

A great design which was ahead of its time in many respects!

Have fun!