The FT Explorer is GRrreat!!!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I my quest to have some planes for my boys to learn on, I decided to build out an FT explorer.

The plane build is detailed but simple enough. It has a few design issues. I knew it had a tendency to snap it's wingand tail boom. and planned for some reinforcing and CF arrow shaft spar. I have decided to extend the nose and double it up too.

Last thing to decide was how to make it fun and easy for orientation.

As I sipped my coffee looking at the relatively unused orange and black rolls of tape, I notice Tony the Tiger is made from those colors.

The FT Explorers they're Grrreat!!!

So far I have what's depicted below, but I have more to come tonight as I'm nearly done.

IMG_20190607_205114553.jpg
IMG_20190607_205107107.jpg

IMG_20190609_172038375.jpg
IMG_20190607_205151027.jpg

This is taking a lot of time to trim all the tape, but the visuals will be worth it. Likely I can test it tomorrow or Thursday as the weather is rainy today and wednesday.

FoamyDM

Eyes and stripes and motor mount left.
The taping details is taking a long time. :unsure:
Does. It take that long for you folks?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I rarely try to make anything that pretty, function over form for me most of the time... And what little bit I do always seems tedious! Lol

gloobnib

Really love the creativity on display here.

One possible issue to be aware of (at least for me) - I find that blue, orange, and pink are all problematic colors for visually tracking planes in the air, depending on time of day, cloud cover, etc. Orange is especially bad at sunset (when I prefer to fly). It makes it difficult to determine orientation and/or track the plane against the sky.

FoamyDM

Really love the creativity on display here.

One possible issue to be aware of (at least for me) - I find that blue, orange, and pink are all problematic colors for visually tracking planes in the air, depending on time of day, cloud cover, etc. Orange is especially bad at sunset (when I prefer to fly). It makes it difficult to determine orientation and/or track the plane against the sky.

I have similar concerns... tomorrow I shall know. All is ready.. pics in the AM.
I will forgo Landing gear on the maiden I think.

FoamyDM

Finished this finally, and it is ready for it's maiden flight. Auw is 723g (1.59 lbs)
Subtract the weight for the 2200mah 3S, ~173g, leaving the build weight at 550g (1.23lbs).
I'm using a 13T 935-1000kv cheepo motor 30a ESC and a 8x6 prop pushing. 4-9g towerpro-ish servos.
IMG_20190612_075932086.jpg IMG_20190612_080919101.jpg
IMG_20190612_080731703.jpg

IMG_20190612_080743398_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190612_080802790_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190612_080858301.jpg
IMG_20190612_080945397.jpg

I'm very proud of how it turned out. And excited to see it in the air.
Maiden video is next!

CapnBry

Elite member
That looks incredible, but I would expect nothing less from someone who has a full suit of armor in their home. You'll have to let us know how that power configuration works. I found my FT Explorer to be flyable but not sporty on an 8x4.5SF, 3S, and 1150KV motor. I actually just ordered some 8x6 props this morning for my Galleon DT(FB) and it could bring new life to my Explorer.

FoamyDM

@CapnBry Thanks! The 1150kv is a B-pack equivalent right? The 2212 1000kv 13T is a C-Pack Equivalent not as powerful, or efficient as the emax motor, but it'll do. (for now.)
Oh, the Armor. Wanted a suit since forever. Found a reasonably priced one on Ebay. won the bid.
it kinda goes with these:
1560373602770.png

BTW - the Checkerboard box has Dice Sets.

Regarding your FPV cam mount, did you glue the lens frame because the boards get too hot to not melt the glue? (Important for FPV on this bird.)

Has anyone tried using magnetic mounts to shunt power and connect power?
I've been wanting to setup camera mounts using magnets. so when the camera isn't there... it looks like there never was one.

CapnBry

Elite member
@CapnBry Thanks! The 1150kv is a B-pack equivalent right? The 2212 1000kv 13T is a C-Pack Equivalent not as powerful, or efficient as the emax motor, but it'll do. (for now.)
Yeah I flew it first on an Turnigy cheapie that's roughly a B-pack equivalent with an 8x4.5 prop, but switched over to the FliteTest Radial 2212 1050KV with a 9x4.7 prop when I rebuilt the Explorer. That had plenty of push on slightly less power somehow.

I posted a bit more about the camera mount in the Galleon over in that thread. Nothing there is glued in (apart from the foam board), just all press fit into place.

I think you'll have a hard time passing power through magnets. It's definitely a great idea but you need to connect a wire to the magnet and soldering them is *hard* and if you take too long the heat will demagnetize the magnet. You'd need a way of somehow squishing the magnet into the wire and holding it reliably in place. If you come up with something I'd love to see it, because that would be pretty sweet.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Oh, the Armor. Wanted a suit since forever. Found a reasonably priced one on Ebay. won the bid.
it kinda goes with these:
233054_19061b2234ff054a12dc64b5619e55e6.png

Please forgive my uncultured response, but what is that? It looks like dungeons and dragons but i have never played the game so I wouldn't know.

CapnBry

Elite member
Please forgive my uncultured response, but what is that? It looks like dungeons and dragons but i have never played the game so I wouldn't know.
You're right! It is Dungeons & Dragons. It is the Dungeon Master's "screen" that is used to shield the DM's notes about the areas the players are adventuring in and also has handy reference tables on it. From the looks of it, that looks to be an original from the first edition, either 1979 or the early 80s re-issue. Definitely a rare item considering they're only thin cardboard and who hasn't spilled a drink on the DM screen at some point? :-D

I know the dates because I just finished reading (or flipping through) the amazing book "Art and Arcana" which is all about the history of the art in D&D.

JTarmstr

Elite member
You're right! It is Dungeons & Dragons. It is the Dungeon Master's "screen" that is used to shield the DM's notes about the areas the players are adventuring in and also has handy reference tables on it. From the looks of it, that looks to be an original from the first edition, either 1979 or the early 80s re-issue. Definitely a rare item considering they're only thin cardboard and who hasn't spilled a drink on the DM screen at some point? :-D

I know the dates because I just finished reading (or flipping through) the amazing book "Art and Arcana" which is all about the history of the art in D&D.

Ok, thats kinda cool.

FoamyDM

very nice, it could also be chester cheeta
I will have to have a pair of kids cool sunglasses on hand for it.

@CapnBry the vintage is dead right. I was amazed at their well loved but usable condition. It was my attempt at giving my players, almost all born in the late 80's, some history and culture.

I hope to have some footage by tonight.