The FT Flyer thread

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it may have been a bad batch, I have a bunch I have split builds with and don't notice much of a difference. I built my Versa with the top wing skin in black and the lower wing skin in white. Where it's bent on the nose from learning how to launch a wing, both black and white are bent evenly and show the same damage.

iCrash

Xuzme, thanks, good to know. I'll keep that in mind and get some next time I'm at the Dollar Tree.

JasonEricAnderson

I do like the look of the black for this. I'm going to do some stripes or something with some electrical tape or maybe run some white vinyl through the vinyl cutter with some design. This was also minwaxed and I'm glad I did. At the open house it was raining all morning and still drizzling when I arrived. I looked out and thought, I can fly in this. It just wipped right off.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jason,

Metalic tape as trim. Jet black core with a sparkly outlines on one side, sparkly patterns on the other . . . Just sayin . . . (hmmm, one more build to my list . . . )

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Here is a link to the article about my EDF FT Flyer. As you can see in the video, it clearly is flyable. It just can be trickier than the original. I'm guessing. I've never flown the original version.

I changed my mind, here is the video in the article instead:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I wonder if putting the EDF up top would mitigate the losses in such a long duct...
You could make the pod smaller/lighter and with the thrust line above the wing it might help with some of the "alpha" tendencies...

rcspaceflight

I wonder if putting the EDF up top would mitigate the losses in such a long duct...
You could make the pod smaller/lighter and with the thrust line above the wing it might help with some of the "alpha" tendencies...

I originally was going to just mount the EDF, with no foamboard around it, on top. But in a way I thought it would complicate the build. I was also worried about having weight on top of the wings since having all the weight below it helps to straighten the plane out to be flying level. I'm sure that doesn't happen from dihedral alone.

I flew the plane again today, which I shouldn't have because the grass is soaking wet and I didn't water proof the plane. So... it's ruined. Compeletly. Maybe I'll put the motor on top for the second plane.

nhoj62

just starting my first build
was wondering if josh could post the basic dimensions of the parts for the ft flyer, like root and tip chord lengths etc, and basic sizes of flat parts to make scaling them or drawing them out at the right size easier as only having one dimension on the plan is proving troublesome.
and thinking of getting a blue wonder brushless motor, ebay item 190917045561, any thoughts on it?
thanks
john

Last edited:

lostcity

Iphone 163.png

Successful maiden flight of my FT Flyer today. Using a Turnigy 2812/14 and 8x6 APC prop, the Flyer took off and handled very nicely. After flying the HZ Champ (and losing it) the I found the FT Flyer was faster and with dual rates set, flew just about as easy. The controls were responsive without being twitchy. I think the Flyer, even with a 2S battey will manage the breezy days we have here in Michigan better than the little planes. A dead stick landing was successful after the battery ran out.

The second flight was also a success unitil I drove the poor thing into the baseball diamond back stop. (not to self: Keep altitude over the fencing) With repairs to the wing, I look forward to getting back in the air and doing a maiden on my FT Old Fogey

Thanks much to the Flite Test crew for a great plane.

lostcity

The blue wonder has a pretty good reputation here. Should work pretty well. I did find that the 8x3.8 prop was not enough pull for my beast. An 8x6 worked pretty well. Good luck with your build. Keep us updated.

iCrash

I had great success today flying my FT Flyer. I took off the landing gear and launched by hand. I'm also using a 3S - 1300mah Turnigy Nano-tech battery. I could have probably flown 12 or more minutes. I stopped at 8m and still had about 58% battery. It flew nice. I then setup a buddy cable to help teach a friend how to fly. He tried 3 other planes and just didn't get it. Today he flew quite well and walked away more confident than ever. I still had to take control now and then, but he had it probably 90% of the time. It was cool to see. He's hooked now! He asked me to build him one too. :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Congrats on the dialed in flight! It's always a great pleasure to feel a plane just after you get it finally trimmed out right!

And good job spreadding the bug!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
cool! I have smaller birds follow my planes sometimes, but never anything like a hawk!

davidio1000

Hi guys, I have the power pod with the Recommended motor for the spitfire, I am in the process of building the spit, I have a sheet of foam left over and was thinking of making a 200% size ft flyer with the motor and ESC from the spit, will it hold the weight of a 2200mah lipo. I will probably put a KF aerofoil on it.

Any thoughts Thanks

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It will be twice as big...? Sorry, the smarta$$ is strong in me.....

Seems like it will work, and it should be a nice floater.

rcspaceflight

Hi guys, I have the power pod with the Recommended motor for the spitfire, I am in the process of building the spit, I have a sheet of foam left over and was thinking of making a 200% size ft flyer with the motor and ESC from the spit, will it hold the weight of a 2200mah lipo. I will probably put a KF aerofoil on it.

Any thoughts Thanks

I think a single sheet of foamboard with that much weight will fold in half. My concern isn't that it won't fly, I'm sure it will, but the wings will probably fold rather quickly. BUT you said you're going to put a KF step on it and that double thickness and hot glue might be enough to keep the wings straight. If the wings crinkle from the weight, just add bamboo skewers to brace the wings. I had to do that with a plane of mine.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think a single sheet of foamboard with that much weight will fold in half. My concern isn't that it won't fly, I'm sure it will, but the wings will probably fold rather quickly. BUT you said you're going to put a KF step on it and that double thickness and hot glue might be enough to keep the wings straight. If the wings crinkle from the weight, just add bamboo skewers to brace the wings. I had to do that with a plane of mine.
I missed that. I was assuming spars of some sort with the KF addition...Yes, at that size, some bracing is necessary to keep foldage from shortening the flights...

iCrash

Jason, that was awesome seeing the hawk come in on your plane like that! not once, but twice!
I had sparrows chasing my micro P-40 before, it's fun to watch them.
Two weeks ago my buddy put his wing up next to a flock of geese (gaggle?) flying overhead. He then slowly turned to circle the field. The entire flock then turned with the wing. It was cool to see a flock circle the field once before deciding that goose doesn't know what it's doing... hahaha....

back on subject, FT Flyer. I was teaching my wife how to fly the other day. We probably had +10 mph (I'm guessing more like 15 w/ 20 gusts) The FT Flyer did well for the first 10m. After swapping out the second battery, my wings folded up when a gust hit it just right. The nose dive broke my firewall and crinkled the foam a bit, however most of the plane took the crash fairly well. I plan to put on a new firewall and then maybe put in a BBQ skewer across the wings as an external spar. I have skewers along the leading edge, but nothing currently between the two wings.

Had a successful first flight today with my Flyer. But I do have a question. I have the Lazertoyz bundle as my electronics and motor and a Turnigy 9x as my transmitter. The motor does not begin to engage until I am at the 1/2 way mark on the throttle. Does that seem right or is there something I may have done wrong?

Thanks