The FT Flyer thread

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
have you calibrated your ESC?

turn on the TX, move the throttle to full, then plug the ESC in. Wait for a the first and second set of beeps, then move the throttle to the bottom. The ESC will beep the number of cells, then arm. You should have full range after that.

Last edited:

iCrash

Craftydan, I know a lot of the ESCs come with directions to do that, however I learned recently that though that works that way, it can be dangerous. When you bind with the throttle at 100%, that becomes the default setting. If the receiver does not see the transmitter, it could result in your plane flying away due to loss of signal from the transmitter. It could also cause problems if you plug in the battery without the transmitter on or if you forget and turn off the transmitter before unplugging the battery. Possibly injuring someone.

Best to bind with throttle at 0%. Read the instructions for your ESC. Most of them have a separate way to program and set the throttle minimum and max settings after the receiver is bound.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
iCrash,

I'm not recommending doing that for the bind. In fact binding is the *ONLY* time you should power on the receiver first.

To Calibrate your ESC's however, the TX must be powered and at the max value when the ESC is boots up (first set of beeps). The ESC senses the throttle is nowhere near a "0", remembers the value then beeps to let you know it's ready for you to move the throttle down. If you pull the stick down, it remembers both points, and records the min and max pulsewidths to equate to min and max stick travel. If you leave the stick up, it will switch over to programming mode and that's another ball of wax.

What you are speaking of is the "fail safe" which is "what should I do if I loose contact" (common, but not all receivers have this). For most receivers it saves the stick position sent when binding, but for the transmitters I've played with, you enter binding mode by powering on the transmitter while pressing the bind button -- that means the RX should already be powered and setup to bind.

Safe or not (personally, I agree) there are some who would prefer a low throttle setting to slow the model's descent (or act as an airbreak). It may seem like the OEMs left a dangerous bug in the setup, but some folks actually *want* this.

iCrash

Craftydan, Thanks for the further explanation. I think I read your first post about ESCs wrong. Sorry about that. I'm still learning too here. :) Thank you for further explaining things.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No sweat iCrash. They are similar in procedure, so it's easy to mistake one for the other.

We all are still learning -- if you're not, you're missing some really neat and valuable stuff that'll make things easier and more fun.

Hell2Go

lots of good stuff here guys... for those interested, I built the flyer with alerons instead of rudder for my son th learn alerons on. needs a lot of throw on alerons and minimal throw on elevator. i adjusted the alerons down a little (about 1/8 in on the outer corners) to slow it and add a little lift. the boy loves it. I like it so much I may build myself one, especially after seeing that black stealth one on here. I found some gold glitter paper at walmart in the craft dept. that would make some awesome stripes for that black Flyer. Iwas thinking of trying a kf airfoil or better yet, make a folded wing airfoil like the versawing, just withsome dyhedral. would add a littleweight but mine would probly be endowed with a 2826-2200 that I have lying around, very little dyhedral as it will be a rocket!

happy hobbying! - Ed

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
lots of good stuff here guys... for those interested, I built the flyer with alerons instead of rudder for my son th learn alerons on. needs a lot of throw on alerons and minimal throw on elevator. i adjusted the alerons down a little (about 1/8 in on the outer corners) to slow it and add a little lift. the boy loves it.
happy hobbying! - Ed

I just put my rudder on the right stick and fly it bank and yank. Since it flies like it has ailerons with just the rudder and dihedral, it works pretty well.
I might have to give ailerons a try though on it, sounds like some fun!

Hell2Go

It does some interesting rolls with alerons. I think an airfoil will be cool, heading to Dollar Tree in the morning for some black foam. I just rounded all my edges today with a monokote iron, really sturdied it up, including the power pod. It hardens the foam as it melts I harden the pod tabs and the mounting holes too. should last longer. and polycoat them all!

Hell2Go

So... I built a customized Flyer inspired by the pictures of the Stealth Flyer I saw on here earlier. I'm calling it the Speed Stealth Flyer and I will try to post a How To article on the build when I figure out how. Waiting on servos from HK to finish the build. when its done I will put up a video of it, if it flies...

Here is a sneak peek...

Flyers.JPG

Hell2Go

I built the Speed Stealth Flyer With the intent to make it a high performance machine and show how a few slight changes to an FT plane design can result in a great airframe with a personal touch.

I lessened the dyhedral, for stability in high speed turns, added an airfoil to improve wingload and strengthen airframe, and boxed the fuse for rigidity, and extended the fuse to make it less twitchy on the elevator controls. I also added full length alerons for insane roll rates! Should really perform well, but these changes will make it for more advanced fliers.

Let me know what you guys think of my redesign. Thanks - Ed

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks nice and fast! might have to try that after I catch up some...still have a 3D in the box and I still need to build another Versa....working on a bloody wonder...have to put a bec on the tri...there's other stuff too.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I lessened the dyhedral, for stability in high speed turns, added an airfoil to improve wingload and strengthen airframe.

I really like the look of the airfoil. I'm sure it'll fly like a completely different beast since you won't have to fly with the nose pointed up.

iCrash

I love the look of the black Flyer and the air foil. Are you able to make a video? I'd love to hear and/or see how it flies. I may make an advanced Flyer like this one at some point. Thanks for sharing! Gives me more ideas. :) I'm sure my wife will thank you! (hear the sarcasm?) :)

Hell2Go

I'm still waiting on servos from hobbyking... I ordered some more from hobbypartz hoping they get here sooner. I also have a milder motor coming to use on it as I think the 2826-2200 is just too much for it, but it should be stronger than the blue wonder. I forgot the size on it but its a 330 class dynam from hobbypartz. I have a Slinger that I put a 4240-1300 on and found it hard to fly with too much power, need a balance between not enough and too much power. I find that about 150% more thrust on a motor than the flying weight is about right for a good flyer.

Hell2Go

I made a stealth-like canopy that I'm gonna put on it with magnets and use it to hide my servos. If it flies well, I'll build a new one with white foam (more durable) and I'll hide the servos and linkage inside and underneath so it will look really clean and I'll make it a stand-alone instead of swappable and I'll try to make a battery compartment and maybe tricycle landing gear with retracts and maybe try to get a little more stealthy look to it. Now is the time to suggest some ideas guys, I'm counting on you...

Last edited:

Hell2Go

This could probly be built with a fuselage on top of the wing with an EDF right between the alerons... with a round fuse it could look like an early jet....

Bedrock

Hello all,
just flew my FT Flyer for the second time, still quite twitchy in the vertical plane. (First flight was like a roller-coaster!). CoG can only be about 1.5 cm (just over 1/2 inch) behind where it should be - could this be the problem?

I'm using the stock motor (D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv) and 800mah 2s battery to get it there (CoG that is). UK foamboard being heavier than what you have in the US is pulling the CoG backwards I think.

Any other tips for less twichiness in the vertical plane?
Rudder seemed ok. I had 30% expo on both control channels which made things better than the 50% on the first flight, but I've never used expo before....

Thanks for any tips!