The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Hoomi

Master member
Looks great! I hope to see a flight video sometime soon! Take care, and we'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers up on your behalf!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Took me 1 year and 8 months of quarantine to do it but my 200% corsair went airborne for the first time today! Just in time for Flitetest to release an updated, easier to build option....
Sweet! Did you use any of the thicker FT Maker Foam, or just standard foam board? Looks great! (y)

Slick1855

Sweet! Did you use any of the thicker FT Maker Foam, or just standard foam board? Looks great! (y)

Unfortunately when I started this the thicker foam wasn't available yet. So I scaled the plans to 200% and doubles the foam in some spots and used a single layer skin.

It also has 2 fairly substantial birch spars, along with a wood spine running down the center of it. It basically looks like the plane swallowed a simple stick fuselage.

Takes 2 4s-5200mah batteries and a very large impact socket zip tied inside the cowl to balance out

Runs on a 5065-400kv motor, spinning a 20" prop.

FPV system runs on its own separate 3s - 850mah battery.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Unfortunately when I started this the thicker foam wasn't available yet. So I scaled the plans to 200% and doubles the foam in some spots and used a single layer skin.

It also has 2 fairly substantial birch spars, along with a wood spine running down the center of it. It basically looks like the plane swallowed a simple stick fuselage.

Takes 2 4s-5200mah batteries and a very large impact socket zip tied inside the cowl to balance out

Runs on a 5065-400kv motor, spinning a 20" prop.

FPV system runs on its own separate 3s - 850mah battery.
Are you running the 4s packs in series or parallel?

Slick1855

Are you running the 4s packs in series or parallel?

Right now parallel. With this much prop on it 8s would be way too much.

I think it would be better going to 5 or 6s and a smaller prop, but the cowl on this thing is HUGE.

It makes the 20" prop seem small.

I cut the flight short at 3-4 minutes because of the wind, and still had 88% battery left. It took me 80-90% throttle to come back up wind, and 30-40% going down wind.

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_145904453.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Right now parallel. With this much prop on it 8s would be way too much.

I think it would be better going to 5 or 6s and a smaller prop, but the cowl on this thing is HUGE.

It makes the 20" prop seem small.

I cut the flight short at 3-4 minutes because of the wind, and still had 88% battery left. It took me 80-90% throttle to come back up wind, and 30-40% going down wind.
Is that a '55 Chevy Belair in the garage?!

Nice Corsair BTW, any flight video yet