The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Rear wing and controls mounted. Working on the rest of wiring and assembly. The motor will be mounted and everything set up on my TX next before glueing everything in place. Most of my electronics will not be visible. Here's the front wing flipped back and over, plus in place, showing how my electronics are set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My next build is going to be the @mayan Mr. Mulligan. I’m stocking up on fb today so hopefully I can start the build next week. This week I’m finishing up another simple stick to make build instructions with. I’ve already got it partly cut out of maker foam. Btw I’m LOVING the maker foam - it’s awesome!!!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Almost done! If this thing ever flys, you better start watching out for airborne swine. It has to weigh more than my target, ‘Less than 250gr. 20” wingspan, 14” length overall. Balances out slightly nose down holding it wingtip to wingtip about 30% behind wing leading edge & laterally supported by tail & nose prop hub it’s flat as a pancake. 3 channel control, it’s going to be very unstable & will need lots of rudder input to stay level, ’cause it’s a low wing & there ain’t no dihedral. The motors should be plenty strong with 2 geared together, prop looks about 6” X 3.5 degrees. No plans, no knowledge, no skills, no common sense. Built entirely of junk I had laying around when the Quarantine was called on by the Gov last week. Just gave me something to do for the Planedemic Quarantine. I ain’t even gonna paint it cause I don’t expect it to live very long & paint or tape might throw it outta balance. Wish me luck!

View attachment 163065 View attachment 163066 View attachment 163068
As longs as you have enough power I think it will fly surprisingly nice.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hatch is done, couple small lengths of 3mm cf strips on the back side, glued a little tray to hold the magnet on the front side and cut out a little hole to put in a magnet there also. Little bit of epoxy and very very fine plastic to lay inbetween the two magnets so I can glue them inplace and it is guaranteed a perfect fit. Little bit of duct tape for a pull tab and we are done. just some velcro and she is ready for her maiden.
2020_0324_081918_001.JPG
2020_0324_081930_002.JPG
2020_0324_101845_001.JPG
2020_0324_101908_002.JPG
2020_0324_102337_001.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Almost done! If this thing ever flys, you better start watching out for airborne swine. It has to weigh more than my target, ‘Less than 250gr. 20” wingspan, 14” length overall. Balances out slightly nose down holding it wingtip to wingtip about 30% behind wing leading edge & laterally supported by tail & nose prop hub it’s flat as a pancake. 3 channel control, it’s going to be very unstable & will need lots of rudder input to stay level, ’cause it’s a low wing & there ain’t no dihedral. The motors should be plenty strong with 2 geared together, prop looks about 6” X 3.5 degrees. No plans, no knowledge, no skills, no common sense. Built entirely of junk I had laying around when the Quarantine was called on by the Gov last week. Just gave me something to do for the Planedemic Quarantine. I ain’t even gonna paint it cause I don’t expect it to live very long & paint or tape might throw it outta balance. Wish me luck!

View attachment 163065 View attachment 163066 View attachment 163068
That is a solid little build man, have fun! Good Luck on the maiden

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hatch is done, couple small lengths of 3mm cf strips on the back side, glued a little tray to hold the magnet on the front side and cut out a little hole to put in a magnet there also. Little bit of epoxy and very very fine plastic to lay inbetween the two magnets so I can glue them inplace and it is guaranteed a perfect fit. Little bit of duct tape for a pull tab and we are done. just some velcro and she is ready for her maiden.
View attachment 163089 View attachment 163090 View attachment 163091 View attachment 163092 View attachment 163093
Smooth build man, I am jealous. You want to build me one ;):LOL:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's my new tandem. A little rough and tumble compared to some of the works of art on this thread, but everything lines up straight and flush and she's built sturdy, with taped leading edges and underside of the fuselage. CG feels just about right with battery(850 3s). Can't wait to maiden!

Attachments

• IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just curious, where does a tandem wing balance? Somewhere in between the wing?
Here's my new tandem. A little rough and tumble compared to some of the works of art on this thread, but everything lines up straight and flush and she's built sturdy, with taped leading edges and underside of the fuselage. CG feels just about right with battery(850 3s). Can't wait to maiden!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just curious, where does a tandem wing balance? Somewhere in between the wing?
Yep. My best successes have been with the CG just a tiny bit behind the trailing edge of the front wing. I think some tandem designs work well with it a bit further back, but will take some more research and experimentation. What you don't want is to just put the CG 25%-1/3 back from the leading edge like a regular plane. It will most likely fly and maybe not too bad, but then you'll just have a conventional plane with an inefficiently large tail surface that doesn't contribute any positive lift.