The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Hoomi

Master member
I received my Power Pack yesterday, and got my motor mounted, servos centered and glued in, linkage stoppers installed on the servo arms, and the power pod securing skewer poked through. May add something to either side of the power pod to reinforce the hole where the skewer goes through. For one of my planes, I just cut a tongue depressor and glued that on the inside of the pod. Cheap, easily available, and provides a decent amount of reinforcement for minimal weight.

I should be able to finish all construction on it after work today (my job is considered "essential," and therefore, normal work hours for me - not that I'm complaining), and have it ready to paint.

Hoomi

Master member
Hatch is done, couple small lengths of 3mm cf strips on the back side, glued a little tray to hold the magnet on the front side and cut out a little hole to put in a magnet there also. Little bit of epoxy and very very fine plastic to lay inbetween the two magnets so I can glue them inplace and it is guaranteed a perfect fit. Little bit of duct tape for a pull tab and we are done. just some velcro and she is ready for her maiden.
View attachment 163089 View attachment 163090 View attachment 163091 View attachment 163092 View attachment 163093
She looks incredible. Hope she flies as good as she looks!

Madspadder

Put a little paint on the Dog House. Now I need to get Snoopy printed out.

Attachments

• 941D1D9B-F90F-477B-8601-D098F470BA59.jpeg
    941D1D9B-F90F-477B-8601-D098F470BA59.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@ScratchBuildMast 38 to be exact! Well I have a pretty big build list and we’re not really supposed to go out for anything “nonessential” (I’d say fb is pretty essential;)) so I though I’d better stock up while I can... :D
Oh, and I have about 10 sheets of ftfb/maker foam left as well.

Figure9

Elite member
Yes, I agree, fb is VERY essential!!

Due to the recent shortage of DTFB our local DT store secured their maximum order allowance for 100 DTFB boards. Some low down scoundrels, probably organized crime figures, tripped the electronic locks, remotely shut down the security cameras, snuck in under the cover of darkness & stole only the store’s entire DTFB supply. The high tech crime division of local law enforcement is baffled & indicates the culprits are surely armed & dangerous. It was noted that some unknown person left a $100 bill on the store counter. A local RC club member previously seen in the vicinity offered no comment to news personnel & was uncooperative with law enforcement.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the SR-71 is on the back burner now not that there was much left to do but have to wait until all the snow is gone before I can maiden anyways so I started a new build, @The Hangar Simple Stick :) .

2020_0325_103128_001.JPG

I don't like just sliding a horizontal in and lining it up by eye or marks especially if using hot glue you have very little time to get it right. So in the fuse I shortened the registers by 15mm and on the horizontal I add 2 registers so I should be able to slide and lock it into the correct spot right off the bat.

2020_0325_103140_002.JPG

A little plate to glue to the bottom of the wing to keep it centered in the fuse

2020_0325_103841_001.JPG

Now with the extra little foam at the center of the wing plates let's use the paper. One wing has the extra paper on the bottom and the other wing has the top paper left on.

2020_0325_120014_001.JPG

Wing glued together now, paper overlapped on the bottom and top side. Should help with the wing strength.

2020_0325_122235_001.JPG
2020_0325_122245_002.JPG

Figure9

Elite member
Well the SR-71 is on the back burner now not that there was much left to do but have to wait until all the snow is gone before I can maiden anyways so I started a new build, @The Hangar Simple Stick :) .

If you just can’t wait to see how that SR-71 flies you can ship it to me here in Contented Cows, California. I’ll test fly it & ship the remains back to you with a description of the flight characteristics & recorded top speed in a ‘power-on’ vertical dive.
I think I’ll take a look at the Simple Stick by @The Hangar Simple build birds are still what’s right in my wheel house.

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you just can’t wait to see how that SR-71 flies you can ship it to me here in Contented Cows, California. I’ll test fly it & ship the remains back to you with a description of the flight characteristics & recorded top speed in a ‘power-on’ vertical dive.
I think I’ll take a look at the Simple Stick by @The Hangar Simple build birds are still what’s right in my wheel house.
I really don't need help crashing planes, I do pretty good on my own. I will probably break this thing before it even makes it out to the field. :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 163166
I don't like just sliding a horizontal in and lining it up by eye or marks especially if using hot glue you have very little time to get it right. So in the fuse I shortened the registers by 15mm and on the horizontal I add 2 registers so I should be able to slide and lock it into the correct spot right off the bat.

View attachment 163167
A little plate to glue to the bottom of the wing to keep it centered in the fuse

View attachment 163169

Now with the extra little foam at the center of the wing plates let's use the paper. One wing has the extra paper on the bottom and the other wing has the top paper left on.

View attachment 163170

Wing glued together now, paper overlapped on the bottom and top side. Should help with the wing strength.

View attachment 163171 View attachment 163172
Awesome, it's off to a great start!! I really like what you did with the tail alignment - mind if I add that to the plans? :)

Figure9

Elite member
I‘m thinking the 1918 Hergt Monoplane balsa kit I ordered isn’t going to be arriving soon. It might be coming from China & not much is getting out of there. Calls to the Colorado retailer go unanswered, messages left are not getting a reply. The business is probably closed to quarantine.

Slick1855

Welcome to the forum. Don’t sweat the kitchen, I’m glad to know I have kindred kitchens somewhere in this world. At what point does the dimension percentage of a Corsair become quarter scale? I donno, but yours will have to get us by till you add on an attached shop to your house & build us a bigger Corsair.

My shop is technically big enough to fit a full size Corsair in, but is currently filled with racecars.

Might have to kick a car out to see how deep this rabbit hole goes...

123" span would be quarter scale, I'm currently around 96".