• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Wildthing

Well-known member
To reinforce the sides where the skewers are (for the elastics) I cut some popsicle sticks long enough so they go right to the bottom and come out the other side (spot for a little extra hot glue) and glued them to the inside of the fuse . Saving some of those scrap little piece of cf strips came in handy, couple strips glued onto the wing to protect it from the elastics.

2020_0326_080404_001.JPG
2020_0326_080410_002.JPG
2020_0326_080418_003.JPG
2020_0326_080447_001.JPG
 
Hopefully the Simple Stick will work out well for you then!
I certainly hope so, I built it as a 3ch so if it doesn't have enough rudder for me I've got bigger problems to worry about.
You'll love my Arwing design- it's technically bank and yank but the elevons have enough anhedral to give it converse yaw for days! It's very responsive in the air. Also, for planes that are normally bank and yank only, you can add a little thrust yaw, either diffy thrust or vectoring.
I also gave @FoamyDM's PRANDTL-D project a try. Using washout to create converse yaw. I have the airframe built and half painted but I've started on too many other projects to finish it anytime soon. My Arrowhead actually has a v-tail, I crashed it when I was trying to trim the elevator and didn't have enough hands to use the rudder.
 
Flew the 300i today- Used most of a battery, but it took a good 6-7 minutes of flying to run it down that far. Stripped the thrust vectoring servo with a prop strike on the second landing though, any recommendations as to how to fix it better?
Also, here's a 54 dpi raster plans preview. If you want to view full resolution, it looks like you'll have to download it.
Origin 300i v4_2 overview.png
 
Flew the 300i today- Used most of a battery, but it took a good 6-7 minutes of flying to run it down that far. Stripped the thrust vectoring servo with a prop strike on the second landing though, any recommendations as to how to fix it better?
Also, here's a 54 dpi raster plans preview. If you want to view full resolution, it looks like you'll have to download it.
View attachment 163384
Go metal gear servos.
 
Go metal gear servos.
I was thinking the same thing- i looked for my two spare metal gear servos for about 15 minutes before remembering I lost them in a soybean field last fall. So I just used a better plastic gear servo, and put it in with screws so it's more easily replaceable. A temporary fix to get it back in the air. Also I bent the pushrods differently, hopefully I get more spring this time. It was a little tough flying at the park, wind was from the southwest to the northeast, so to do an upwind landing would mean going low over the road, which means I had to do more of a crosswind landing instead. not that this plane particularly cares, it's fast and the gear reminds me of characters from The Oatmeal with the comically wide stance.
 

Wildthing

Well-known member
Well I finally threw the SR71 onto the scale, not bad for such a big bird and three motors, scale in at 26.45 oz without the battery, with a 2200 3S battery 32.9 oz. Did a vertical thrust test on 3S and at 50 to 60% throttle she would lift so we have enough thrust on 3S to fly comfortably.