The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Figure9

Elite member
@The Hangar I’m getting really brain-dead with maturity onset. :cautious::poop: Made up my mind to build your Simple Stick. I think it’s exactly what I need right now. Easy build, easy to modify (In my case probably make it worse) & have fun building for my skillset. ’B’ motor is my fav & it doesn’t look exactly like anything I’ve already built. I’ve been following your strings on it, just didn’t connect right away. Early morning grogginess, I guess, it’s only 10:30AM. ;):coffee::ROFLMAO:

Figure9

Elite member
Plans are on the resources section. I scaled mine up to 123% (bigger is always better). Stock it should be about a 1hr build. Super simple as the name implies.

I have the plans ready to send to my copier. I’ll probably increase the wing span, lengthen the fuselage but save the fuselage frontal area. I’ll enlarge the tail feathers if they end up looking kinda dinky. No swappable power pack for this design, so the motor & ESC are dedicated, but (Of course) easily removable for use on a different plane.

@The Hangar Welcome any comments. I’m guessing the fuselage plan is designed to use an FT engine mount.

Last edited:

daniZZ

Hi guys

So as you can see I'm building my first RC airplane the 36"WS edge 540.
My best estimation regarding the complete equiped weight of the finished plane is something around 600g.
I have a A2212 1400KV brushless with a 30A ESC and a 35C 1000mAH Zippy Lipo.
Can you please help me estimate the flight time for this setup.
And can you please advice which size of prop should I try.

Looking forward for your kind help

Thank you
Daniel

Michael9865

Elite member
Started my JB Simple Stik by JUSS10. The tape on the wing took me a bit longer than I wanted. I made a couple of mistakes, but who will see them when it is in the air. I might tape an accent on the fuselage after I get it formed up. I used purple and orange since I had plenty in the drawer. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/jb-simple-stik.60515/

BDE0B734-D8B7-4DB2-B014-7E4D5BB1BC52.jpeg 66BB0B0C-4797-47CD-903E-57C3AEE75E0B.jpeg 5E03D785-96B6-40E3-94C4-3BD073890AEB.jpeg

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Just finished my latest build, the Aeronaut. A 2m sailplane designed by me. This is my second sailplane design and weighs in at 491g, almost 100g less than my last one. It is 4ch running off a 1300mah 3s. I made plans for it if anyone's interested, it would be nice to have a beta builder or two since I haven't tested them.

IMG_20200328_140402.jpg

IMG_20200328_141100.jpg

Honestly I think it's too pretty to fly but I guess I'll have to eventually.

Figure9

Elite member
Hi guys

So as you can see I'm building my first RC airplane the 36"WS edge 540.
My best estimation regarding the complete equiped weight of the finished plane is something around 600g.
I have a A2212 1400KV brushless with a 30A ESC and a 35C 1000mAH Zippy Lipo.
Can you please help me estimate the flight time for this setup.
And can you please advice which size of prop should I try.

Looking forward for your kind help

Thank you
Daniel

Welcome to the forums. Somebody will probably come up with a graph that you can use or you can search through the resources link at the top of these forum pages. I have a couple of designs not too different from what you’ve got & I limit my flights to the 5 minute warning provided by my DX6e using about half power most of the time. I might have over done it with one of my batteries that failed. Lots of excellent help on this forum. I use a 2212 1050kV with a 3S 2200mAh 25C, but because I over worked a battery I decided to upgrade my batteries to 3S 2200mAh 40C. IMHO it’s hard to go wrong with a 9X4.5 prop, that’s my ‘go to’ with the 2212 1050kV motor & I’m a newbie at flying. I think that what you’re risking with the 1000mAh battery is depletion. The 35amp ESC should be sufficient, especially if you’re soft on the throttle stick like I am. You didn’t say how many servos you’re running. I like to use 4.
Enjoy your build & good luck on the maiden flight.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am having to ease the building itch again, and in thinking of what I wanted to do, i have come up with this little hot rod...
90bfd89953553045c738daa7f74d3d03.jpg
I looked up Reno Race on Google and of all the off beat design styles I choose this on, kinda guess i like a classic style. This will be a good base to start from, a blank canvas you might say. In styling I will stay with the radial style nose, maybe move the canopy back some and make it razorback. I like the paint job too
ab1432befadbe25e390d41266300dea4.jpg

This might be something i will take my time on. I would like to utilize wood glue more for fit and finish, the inner fuse structure, wing spars, etc, so this will take longer just in that nature. I would like to plan it a bit better as well given that the Tiger Moth taught me a bunch of things to look for, to pre-empt for. This should be an interesting design and build

Figure9

Elite member
Simple Stick?

So I went out wandering around today to find supplies for my Simple Stick build & upsize the ’PLANS’ !! For a simple dude like me with only an 8.5“ X 11” copier, I just did the math & determined that I wanted my, ’PLANS’ from the 8.5 X 11 copies, 275% upsized. A good job for Staples, $18.

68A5C171-C280-4A83-9CD1-61626BDE76B3.jpeg

So, wouldn’t you know it, (The story of my life.) the transfer to the enlarged set came out a little bit undersized from the math I did. (Take a look at the engine mount sitting on the base board.) I’ll adapt it rather than fork out another $18.

8B3AA7F2-CDA2-410E-93AD-35AA982DC986.jpeg

So I went to the DT & picked up 15 sheets of DTFB. As I was checking out a totally “NERDED OUT” weirdo (You know the type.) told my cashier than there were limits on anything anybody was hoarding. My checker just kept checking me out like she didn’t even hear him. I came so close to slicing his head off with the ‘Light Saber’ I always carry on my belt.

5FD94CE3-DDA5-44AE-AC09-D0CEB0288D96.jpeg

Time to get busy building.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I am having to ease the building itch again, and in thinking of what I wanted to do, i have come up with this little hot rod...
View attachment 163673 I looked up Reno Race on Google and of all the off beat design styles I choose this on, kinda guess i like a classic style. This will be a good base to start from, a blank canvas you might say. In styling I will stay with the radial style nose, maybe move the canopy back some and make it razorback. I like the paint job too View attachment 163674
This might be something i will take my time on. I would like to utilize wood glue more for fit and finish, the inner fuse structure, wing spars, etc, so this will take longer just in that nature. I would like to plan it a bit better as well given that the Tiger Moth taught me a bunch of things to look for, to pre-empt for. This should be an interesting design and build
That's a Hawker Sea Fury if you're wondering.

Madspadder

Painted Snoopy, think he still needs some firepower. Still waiting on motors, so won’t be able to get these flying this weekend!! Thanks for the challenge, I think everyone participating is a winner!! This has been fun seeing all the builds. On to the 1/4 scale DR 1. What would Snoopy be without the Red Baron.
60A8CA5B-13BB-4173-B71F-89BA406E6E69.jpeg
9F7770DC-7038-4EFD-8BB2-E089DDA70DB3.jpeg