The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

OliverW

Legendary member
Clocked it on my old setup with a 9x6 and a Turnigy D2836/8 1100kv doing 81mph, This setup is considerably more powerful (SunnkySky 2216 1250kv, 10x7 prop) I will have to try and get a reading sometime!

I'm hopeful for this setup... motor was only slightly warm to the touch after running a full pack through on full throttle. I'm impressed. Might be time to pull out the 11x7 ;).
It looks to be doing 90 at most

Mr.Grinch

The wind certainly doesn’t help with such a small and light model. It seems like most of the issues show up with throttle application. Torque roll does seem to be part of it. With the new rubber bands, is it possible that they are soft enough to allow movement of the wing in the air? That could definitely cause unintended changes in flight patterns. I also agree with extending the fuselage, both in front and behind the wing, to make it a little less short coupled and easier to balance.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
The wind certainly doesn’t help with such a small and light model. It seems like most of the issues show up with throttle application. Torque roll does seem to be part of it. With the new rubber bands, is it possible that they are soft enough to allow movement of the wing in the air? That could definitely cause unintended changes in flight patterns. I also agree with extending the fuselage, both in front and behind the wing, to make it a little less short coupled and easier to balance.
Ok thank you! I had a relatively successful maiden video and a few other off camera flights with this plane in wind so Its just a bit confusing to me, I will take those into account if I build again.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Good point on the elastic bands, wing could be flopping all over the place .

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The fuse for the Pe-2 is completed, now to build the wing!
IMG_20200403_201248097.jpg

Madspadder

I f
They do work, you just give the a few degrees toe out.

But here you go , nothing , no v stabs or wing tips . Start at about the 3 minute mark. The Horton :)

I saw this video and it reminded me of an 8 foot coroplast B2 concept we were working on. It is at 4:47 in the video. This was made with a 4' X 8' sheet of 2mil coroplast (sign plastic) . In the video we had a central vertical stab for the maiden flight which we eventually removed. If I remember right the B2 had 3 elevons on each half of the wing. This was before foam became so popular. I should revisit these old ideas in foam:unsure:

Overprop

What better time to get building than whilst in Quarantine!

I have been creating this 3D optimised biplane, loosely based on the Tigermoth. So far is coming together nicely. It was just a freehand build, no drawings or templates. Found a great way to annoy the wife by driving this thing round the house last night haha!

Got the canopy lid and upper wing to fix, then its ready for some stunts!

Emax 2205 redbottom motor
7x3 APC
3s 1300mah
Emax 20g digital servos x3

Estimated finished weight 550g including battery
Thrust around 1000g

Should be a riot!

Attachments

• 20200403_213829.jpg
    20200403_213829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_213804.jpg
    20200403_213804.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_213905.jpg
    20200403_213905.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_195318.jpg
    20200403_195318.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_213839.jpg
    20200403_213839.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200404-083329_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-083329_Chrome.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
I f

I saw this video and it reminded me of an 8 foot coroplast B2 concept we were working on. It is at 4:47 in the video. This was made with a 4' X 8' sheet of 2mil coroplast (sign plastic) . In the video we had a central vertical stab for the maiden flight which we eventually removed. If I remember right the B2 had 3 elevons on each half of the wing. This was before foam became so popular. I should revisit these old ideas in foam:unsure:

How long ago was this. Loved the gasser combats :D

Madspadder

How long ago was this. Loved the gasser combats :D
My brother and I started a small company called Plastic Concept Planes. We started around 2002 building "Spad" arfs. For those of you who haven't heard of Spads, they were originally planes built from political signs and plastic downspouts. I think a lot of these plans could easily be converted to foam. Here is a link to some of the plans: https://www.spadtothebone.net/freeplans.htm
Talon.jpg

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Working on another 1-meter wingspan plane, the Thunderbird Shadow that was requested in the Flite Test Fans Facebook group. Really unsure on yaw stability with this one. Total weight at the time of these pictures was 1.46 lbs, it's probably up above 1.5 now, pushing RealFlight's simulated stall speed up to 25 mph. Maybe the round empty "long boi" nacelles are more aerodynamically significant than simulated, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It sure will have a lot of pitch authority on acceleration, seeing as the prop wash covers just about the entire elevator surface.
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG

50A ESC is to leave room for expansion, and because it's what I had. Planedemic, yo. Moter is an emax 2306 Eco 2400kV, nothing pricey. Prop is a 5" Emax Avan Flow.