The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Well, plotter is still in the works, tuning the software still, and waiting on hardware.
1590486307692.png

Stress test file is looking nice though! Formatting requirements are pretty strict lol

Attachments

• Obama Line Plot.svg
    245.2 KB · Views: 0

daniZZ

Already prepared for starting the new build. Foam board acquired and plan printed out.
But I'm still trying to understand why the first one failed on me.
Question 1:
Is a 13.7 oz/sqft winload way to much for a plane like this and a nooby pilot to handle?
Question 2:
Is 800-820g way to much for a 2217 1250kv with 9045 prop?
Question 3:
Are the weights stated in the flite test plans realistic? (because I just can't understand how the AUW of the P40 can be 568g if only my electronics with battery, prop, spinner, servos and landing heat are over 600g.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Already prepared for starting the new build. Foam board acquired and plan printed out.
Question 1:
Is a 13.7 oz/sqft winload way to much for a plane like this and a nooby pilot to handle?
Question 2:
Question 3:
Are the weights stated in the flite test plans realistic? (because I just can't understand how the AUW of the P40 can be 568g if only my electronics with battery, prop, spinner, servos and landing heat are over 600g.
wait, what battery are you using? I'd recommend a 1000mAh 2S for that setup, although I'm more familiar with the capability of the Radial 2218.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Update on the XF-02: Turns out that the 5 inch mongo 2218 6S BDF won't fit, because I did in fact size it correctly for a 70mm EDF. So I do need that 60-80A ESC after all. Ho hum, more money, more waiting. The build is turning out to be quite difficult, especially with all the curves and not having a model reference right in front of me. It's far from simple. I'm sure once I get it done I'll be happy with it, but it's looking like that's a ways away. heck, I haven't even cut out all the parts yet. For the first time ever, I'm lacking motivation to build a plane, and I know this one will be so much fun when it's done. Maybe I'm too focused on the plotter? I don't know.

daniZZ

wait, what battery are you using? I'd recommend a 1000mAh 2S for that setup, although I'm more familiar with the capability of the Radial 2218.
Zippy 2200 3s
2200 3s is recommended in the plan.
I have a 1000 3s also but I put some weights on it to match the weight of the 2200. The motor is the closest I could find locally to the 2218 1180KV powerpack C motor.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Zippy 2200 3s
2200 3s is recommended in the plan.
I have a 1000 3s also but I put some weights on it to match the weight of the 2200. The motor is the closest I could find locally to the 2218 1180KV powerpack C motor.
I try not to put weights in my airplane. Things almost always fly better and slower if they're lighter. You should try to move the battery for'ard and aft to get the CG correct.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Question 1:
Question 2:
Question 3:
You should be just fine with that setup. 820 grams is very reasonable weight for that motor and you should have good performance. I would use the 1000 3s without any added weight though.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I am the quintessential ADHD mechanic. When I get an idea, I cannot let go of it until I'm halfway through building it... then I go do something else.
Anyway there's an idea I've got recently that I can't let go of. When I was building my C-185 I had in the back of my mind that I wanted to build a big master series STOL plane sometime, maybe in the 40" range. Unfortunately after thinking about it I realized I have all the parts to build said STOL plane, so there's no talking me out of it that way. I even have enough paint left over from other projects. I'm short an Rx but I can swap one between another plane. That leaves wheels, a spinner, and I'm out of foam and glue but those are all cheap items. I'm hesitant to do it because 1: I've been spending too much on RC lately and 2: I've been building more or less non-stop for three weeks and I should probably go downstairs and see my family.

This really isn't the place for me to try to get talked out of something but there's this red Wilga that looks pretty sweet...

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I am the quintessential ADHD mechanic. When I get an idea, I cannot let go of it until I'm halfway through building it... then I go do something else.
Anyway there's an idea I've got recently that I can't let go of. When I was building my C-185 I had in the back of my mind that I wanted to build a big master series STOL plane sometime, maybe in the 40" range. Unfortunately after thinking about it I realized I have all the parts to build said STOL plane, so there's no talking me out of it that way. I even have enough paint left over from other projects. I'm short an Rx but I can swap one between another plane. That leaves wheels, a spinner, and I'm out of foam and glue but those are all cheap items. I'm hesitant to do it because 1: I've been spending too much on RC lately and 2: I've been building more or less non-stop for three weeks and I should probably go downstairs and see my family.

This really isn't the place for me to try to get talked out of something but there's this red Wilga that looks pretty sweet...
DO IT! I've wondered why I have't seen anyone do one yet and I don't have the skills to do it justice. Just try to avoid those crosswind takeoffs.