The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

daniZZ

Yeap....it was my only build yet...

I saw your P40 next level build can you share it's electronics setup and AUW. Don't think mine was heavier....

Last edited:

perhapsleiana

Elite member
The best pilot figure is 4 pilot figures!
101162692_2973148102738524_7251640361867542528_n.jpg
101723970_2973148319405169_1896835747516776448_n.jpg

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Got my plotter working decently well. Still needs a dedicated power supply for the stepper motors, and another for the servo, as it averages about 5-10 errors per hour, and it only moves at a maximum of about 15mm/second (jobs range from 3 minutes to 3 hours). Its repeatability and precision are ridiculous for a string plotter, though- precise to who-knows-what and can return to a previous point within 0.2mm every time, assuming it didn't go outside the reliable area. I'm currently running it at about a 23" distance between the belt anchors, which I hard-coded into the firmware to speed up calibration, but when I upgrade to a fully portable device, that distance can be up to 10 feet. In the firmware are several error-correction snippets, such as rejecting any value read over 10,000mm, rejecting near-zero X and Y values, as these often indicate a badly read data point, and several other little functional sacrifices.
Here's Dogmeat from Fallout 4.
IMG_2650.JPG

Now I'm gonna go do some dimensional accuracy tuning while I wait on limiting resistors that will allow me to run the steppers off of 12v.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Got my plotter working decently well. Still needs a dedicated power supply for the stepper motors, and another for the servo, as it averages about 5-10 errors per hour, and it only moves at a maximum of about 15mm/second (jobs range from 3 minutes to 3 hours). Its repeatability and precision are ridiculous for a string plotter, though- precise to who-knows-what and can return to a previous point within 0.2mm every time, assuming it didn't go outside the reliable area. I'm currently running it at about a 23" distance between the belt anchors, which I hard-coded into the firmware to speed up calibration, but when I upgrade to a fully portable device, that distance can be up to 10 feet. In the firmware are several error-correction snippets, such as rejecting any value read over 10,000mm, rejecting near-zero X and Y values, as these often indicate a badly read data point, and several other little functional sacrifices.
Here's Dogmeat from Fallout 4.
View attachment 170499

Now I'm gonna go do some dimensional accuracy tuning while I wait on limiting resistors that will allow me to run the steppers off of 12v.
Need a video of it in action

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Need a video of it in action
I thought about posting a video, but it's just so painfully slow, and it will be until I upgrade the stepper power supply.

Good news is, I tested it with a 3"x4"x5" right triangle. 3" on the X axis plotted very accurately. 4" on the Y axis plotted perfectly as well. and 5" to check for skew was perfect. Lines were square and straight when compared with a ruler, so I think dimensional accuracy is on point!

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Maiden went well. She flew twice and only needed a couple clicks of trim. It was nice to fly at the field today. My Emax 1806 2300kv must be getting tired, I swapped it out for a new 2204 2300kv tonight. Hopefully I can get video proof of flight tomorrow.

This little plane is so much fun. With the 2204 2300kv on it and now I barely have to go above half throttle. Still wasn’t able to get proof of flight pictures or video yet.

290DB622-BD59-4B74-AFD3-ED9AC9FB6717.jpeg

perhapsleiana

Elite member
I thought about posting a video, but it's just so painfully slow, and it will be until I upgrade the stepper power supply.

Good news is, I tested it with a 3"x4"x5" right triangle. 3" on the X axis plotted very accurately. 4" on the Y axis plotted perfectly as well. and 5" to check for skew was perfect. Lines were square and straight when compared with a ruler, so I think dimensional accuracy is on point!
I'm recording a 15 minute time-lapse as I write this. I know it's 15 minutes because the last attempt didn't save the video.