The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Hoomi

Master member
With so many local events being cancelled (concerts, sports, conventions, etc.), and the CDC advising people to stay home and minimize potential exposure as much as possible, has anyone else thought, "Hey! This would be a GREAT time to work on another airplane,"?

Instead of a Pandemic, we can have a Planedemic!

I'm finishing up my FT Mustang, so I think I'll get started on the FT Bushwacker next. I might just have to add a special decal to it for the Planedemic!

Hoomi

Master member
I tried to convince my boss that, since the CDC advised older people to stay home as much as possible, I (at age 60) should be able to work from home (never mind that most of my work is hands-on with equipment too large to be portable).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I have the simple stick and kitfox to fix, the FT edge to build, and the P-38 and Corsair to finish, a racer and Pietenpol cut out, and an Eflite valiant needing electronics, so I’ve got a good number of builds to keep me occupied for a while! Oh yeah, and I need to finish the plans for the Simple Stick and then I’ll be working on designing a Mighty Mini sized T-28 Trojan.

Last edited:

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Well I have the simple stick and kitfox to fix, the FT edge to build, and the P-38 and Corsair to finish, a racer and Pietenpol cut out, and a Hangar 9 valiant needing electronics, so I’ve got a good number of builds to keep me occupied for a while! Oh yeah, and I need to finish the plans for the Simple Stick and then I’ll be working on designing a Mighty Mini sized T-28 Trojan.
Why are you wasting your time posting replies? You have serious work to do!

Figure9

Elite member
The Planedemic Quarantine Challenge? Scratch build something in 2 weeks (During March) that you can’t go out of the house to obtain any components? Ordering parts online acceptable if you can get the parts in time to complete & fly on the weekend of March 28-29. No winners, no participation trophies, you‘re a winner if you survive & post the build & completed models here. Anybody interested?

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Well I have the simple stick and kitfox to fix, the FT edge to build, and the P-38 and Corsair to finish, a racer and Pietenpol cut out, and a Hangar 9 valiant needing electronics, so I’ve got a good number of builds to keep me occupied for a while! Oh yeah, and I need to finish the plans for the Simple Stick and then I’ll be working on designing a Mighty Mini sized T-28 Trojan.
o_O

Hoomi

Master member
I think the only thing I need for the Bushwacker is to order the Powerpack C.

I'll ask the Better Half when I get home, if she has a vinyl design for something along the lines of a biohazard symbol we can put on our Planedemic builds.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think the only thing I need for the Bushwacker is to order the Powerpack C.

I'll ask the Better Half when I get home, if she has a vinyl design for something along the lines of a biohazard symbol we can put on our Planedemic builds.
You’ll like the bushwacker! I would recommend getting the rimfire .15 motor from the Flitetest store since it has quite a bit more power than the radial C pack. I’ve used it on my kitfox and Simple stick and it really produces a ton of thrust! On the kitfox with a 12x6 prop I get unlimited vertical even though the plane weighs 3 pounds! On the simple stick I’m using a 10x7 prop with it and it is so much power! Oh yeah, and this is all on 3s! :eek:

Hoomi

Master member
I'll probably just start out with the C pack for now, and once I get used to the plane, decide if I want to build a second powerpod with a bigger motor. For now, I don't do much in the way of radical flying, so I likely wouldn't make much use of the extra power anyway.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'll probably just start out with the C pack for now, and once I get used to the plane, decide if I want to build a second powerpod with a bigger motor. For now, I don't do much in the way of radical flying, so I likely wouldn't make much use of the extra power anyway.
Yeah, well the C pack does have plenty of power on the bushwacker!

K3V0

Elite member
You’ll like the bushwacker! I would recommend getting the rimfire .15 motor from the Flitetest store since it has quite a bit more power than the radial C pack. I’ve used it on my kitfox and Simple stick and it really produces a ton of thrust! On the kitfox with a 12x6 prop I get unlimited vertical even though the plane weighs 3 pounds! On the simple stick I’m using a 10x7 prop with it and it is so much power! Oh yeah, and this is all on 3s! :eek:
You and @BATTLEAXE really need to get sponsorships from rimfire I think about getting one every time either of you mention it.

K3V0

Elite member
This is how I imagine life Pre and post rimfire now
1584138144956.gif

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
as long as we are all being salespeople here. ill toss out my 2 cents :)

The Rimfire is a good motor but I prefer the Leopard series motors if only for the many many available kv available in each size and at about half the price. I am using the 3536 (same as rimfire .15) but i chose 960kv instead of rimfires 1200kv. i have a few more prop options i feel between 3s and 4s I also have a 3542 600kv I plan to use for a plane with a 6s and 11in prop. You can find all the info and data sheets at altitude hobbies. If you like the rimfire and its specs are what you need, go for it. it is a solid proven reliable workhorse. I can not speak to the longevity of the leopard but so far I love it. and for the price, I couldn't resist it.

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/