The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Did a "screw it, why not" backyard maiden of the Thunderbird Shadow this evening. Just enough light to still see, and I feel like my Ovonic "50C" lipo which I trusted to about 30C is effectively about 60% of the advertised capacity. On a 40A max draw build, this 1300 50C lipo was getting warm, and ran down after only about 3 minutes. Might just give it a 4S and limit my throttle, motor cooling seems impeccable.
Not going 4S, just gave it a 4x6 APC prop and a new 3S 1300 battery, Venom brand. Had it laying around, it should do the trick.

Tench745

Master member
Decided to add a couple more combat planes to the squadron. Re-worked the Bloody Baron slightly, no fancy curves or scallops. :) . Elevator straight hinge all the way across instead of the ends coming forward, they did snag streamers the odd time but the streamers have also caused the elevator to bind. Then added a couple points to stop the streamer from sliding off the LE. Also re-did the wing and vertical and added points to them also. , will see if it helps.

View attachment 164684 View attachment 164685 View attachment 164686
Gluing a BBQ skewer to the ends of the wing and empennage seems like a quicker more durable solution to me. Dunno if it would be lighter than this or not...

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Lazarus, and the warranty replacement. I feel no difference in magnetic cogging, which is good news for Lazarus.
IMG_2699.jpg

danskis

Master member
Painted up the Sea Fury. You win some and you lose some, this one is leaning to the loss section. Its not a complete write off but it just didn't turn out as planned, due to lack of planning the vision in my head. It always works better in there, not always the case when you put it into practice...
View attachment 164645 View attachment 164646 It will still look good at 40' up though

I think it looks great. I've seen a real improvement in your work over the last year. I wish mine came out half that nice.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I think it looks great. I've seen a real improvement in your work over the last year. I wish mine came out half that nice.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I am naturally lazy when it comes to the paint. The building has gotten better as I do different techniques on other models. This definitely gives me the confidence in the fact that I don't need plans anymore to build any plane I chose. Keeps things interesting.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Didn't get as much done as I wanted because I had to go clear snow, so much for April showers, we got over 4 inches of snow today and Saturday atleast another 1 1/2 inches. Looks like time to put up the Christmas lights and tree again :) .

Anyways the new somewhat Barons are dry fitted together, thinking of calling them Shaft.

2020_0406_203748_001.JPG
2020_0406_203755_002.JPG
2020_0406_203809_003.JPG

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Didn't get as much done as I wanted because I had to go clear snow, so much for April showers, we got over 4 inches of snow today and Saturday atleast another 1 1/2 inches. Looks like time to put up the Christmas lights and tree again :) .

Anyways the new somewhat Barons are dry fitted together, thinking of calling them Shaft.

View attachment 164743 View attachment 164744 View attachment 164745
Last time you built two combat planes you made one from coroplast, why do you always build two?