The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I have perfected the mini arrow! Here’s the setup.
Brother hobby Avenger V3 2206.5 2000kv
60 amp BL heli ESC
15 gram MG servos
6 cell 1000 mah 100c Ovonic or a 1300mah 3 cell 95C tattu
13.4 ounces on a 6 cell and 150 MPH
10.5 ounces 3 cell and 88 MPH
Motor pulls 1050 watts on a 6 cell and is only warm to the touch after a minute of WOT😎. 3 cell is still awesome power and tons of fun!
View attachment 169816 View attachment 169817
I’m so sorry @IdoAllMyOwnStunts school has been pretty crazy lately and I haven’t gotten a chance to draw up plans for your arrow or another project I promised someone I’d draw up. Would you rather me draw plans for the new arrow instead? In about 2 weeks I’ll be out and should have time for some RC stuff.

daniZZ

Are you sure about the motor? I had to run more than 50% throttle to feel it wants to go out of my hand and something similar to this happened:

I'm sorry I don't have a movie, I thought I started the camera but it turned out I didn't. But anyway, the movie linked resambles what happened....

IdoAllMyOwnStunts

Elite member
I’m so sorry @IdoAllMyOwnStunts school has been pretty crazy lately and I haven’t gotten a chance to draw up plans for your arrow or another project I promised someone I’d draw up. Would you rather me draw plans for the new arrow instead? In about 2 weeks I’ll be out and should have time for some RC stuff.
Ohh that’s fine! That the beauty of RC it’s a hobby and doesn’t have to have time limits lol. Let’s stick with the original plan for the speed arrow I gave you. The one I just made is simply the original arrow without a center pod😎👍

Wildthing

Legendary member
Are you sure about the motor? I had to run more than 50% throttle to feel it wants to go out of my hand and something similar to this happened:

I'm sorry I don't have a movie, I thought I started the camera but it turned out I didn't. But anyway, the movie linked resambles what happened....
Holding the plane vertically and when you power it up , if it is lifting itself by 50% throttle and wants to jump out of your hand at 100% you have tons of power. If it only wants to lift at 75% or higher it will still fly but won't be super sporty and you won't be able to fight winds that good .

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I built another old speedster this weekend to use as a trainer. I’ve got buddy box set up on it and a couple people ready to learn on it. I’m happy with how it turned out - it looks super clean!
5062ACCE-81C0-4A76-9FC9-E18FB48B44B1.jpeg

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Planning to build a string plotter, but using GT2 timing belts instead of strings, and instead of spooling up excess, letting it slack down below the plotter head. All electronics go in the plotter head, making storage in a small box possible. I'm basing mine roughly on https://www.hackster.io/fredrikstridsman/stringent-the-15-wall-plotter-d965ca in hardware, but more closely in firmware.

The best thing about the Stringent firmware base is that it doesn't need a Gcode file, it just takes a non-bezier SVG (all straight line segments) on a micro SD card.
IMG_2622.JPG

I was originally going to use an Arduino Uno clone that I have laying around, but then I found my Adafruit Metro M4 (same physical footprint, 3.3V logic, and holy mother of shits it's 32 bits and can be clocked to 200MHz!)... only to find that the Metro M4 is incompatible with my SD/touchscreen stack. So I went with my trusty workhorse, the Arduino Due, which only runs 80MHz, but it's plenty to overcome the need for a super-lightweight ASCII-to-float routine, and to compensate for me using much smaller pulleys. All I have left to do for software while I wait for some hardware to arrive is figure out how to replace the shitstorm of a text parser with an atof function version. The other nice thing about the Due is the plethora of pins available, which means there's always room for more features, and I can actually run everything on digital pins rather than needing to run several digital functions on analog pins.

The UI is pretty simple and has just a static screen image, which takes about a second to draw. But touchscreen operation should be nice, especially with this good capacitive panel.
1590356757980.png

CAD is pretty minimal, I'm planning to print the part with the wheels and then use a piece of plywood to mount everything else. You'll notice there's an Uno clone on there, uh, that's supposed to be a Due with a touchscreen stack. Whatever, it's going on a piece of plywood, mounting won't be a problem ;)

All this because I don't have money or space for a needle cutter. And I'm still wondering how precise it is.

Now, for the question: Is it worth running this off a 3S or 4S and a big UBEC, or should I test my luck and run it off a power supply? Also where can I find a good ballpoint pen that can slide into a 3mm hole?