The Grim Reaper may fly again!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
This is what the Grim Reaper looked like the last time I flew it. I think a propeller hit the ESC, I lost power after a combat hit and made a gentle dead stick landing. it started smoking as I was walking up to the plane. Yeah, I thought I was gonna retire it but it never found it's way to the trash.
rays.jpg flames.jpg

I chopped out all the burned up section and pulled off all the laminate, extreme tape and packing tape.
a4785723-37-DSC05001.jpg a4785724-198-DSC05000.jpg

Glued the two pieces of wing I had left together.
Fixed a whole lot of holes from prop strikes including a big one that was all the way through the wing (gorilla glue mixed with water).
Extreme taped and laminated the wing, remounted the motor ( the only piece of electrics that was reusable). Cut down the elevons. and rehinged 'em.
a4785741-3-DSC04983.jpg a4785742-36-DSC04984.jpg a4785743-75-DSC04985.jpg a4785744-230-DSC04986.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thanks man. I just hate wasting a perfectly good plane.
Yeah- It would have been just as easy to re-kit, but I think it turned out awesome.
I trashed my old and many times repaired slow stick a few weeks ago. It's another one that never made it to the trash can ;)
I took a quick look at it tonight (it's the only night plane I have right now) and spent about 10min fixing it up.
I think it's good to go too ;)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Stainless steel (as supplied in the kit). I have managed to bend one but was able to bend it back.
Haven't managed to break one yet ;)
It's good stuff, some of the guys drill holes in 'em and grind them down to save weight.
I figure the way I fly I need all the help I can get...

Rcjim11

Ok, I am currently building a flying wing, do you think the steel has better survivability than ally for combat? I have a stock of ally, but could go and get some of the steel if it is much better

Cheers

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Ok, I am currently building a flying wing, do you think the steel has better survivability than ally for combat? I have a stock of ally, but could go and get some of the steel if it is much better
Cheers

Definitely steel! it can be bent back multiple times even after horrific crashes.
Aluminum tends to crack.

So here's a quick one for ya.
Home Depot sells an "L" bracket for 89 cents or some ridiculous price.
Look in their fencing department. The A21 bracket is a little smaller (not as long)
as the ones that come in the crashtesthobby kits.
It is a happy coincidence that it comes with two little holes that line up with the mount on the fc2812 motors that we use and also lines up with the Turnigy 3530. I'll try to post a picture or two when I get home

I wanna see some pictures!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
On the right is the stainless steel motor mount that comes with the Assassin and other Crashtesthobby planes.
On the left is an A21 L bracket from Home Depot.
I would definitely use steel for a combat plane.
I've had one that got bent many times and seems like it just bends easier and easier (so I replaced it), but have never had one fail.
DSC05003.JPG

Rcjim11

Cool! Cheers for the photos... my wing is not yet photographable however when it is, i'll be sure to post up a pic!

Do you use the 3530 on the Grim reaper?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yes- I use the 3530 1700KV for the Reaper.
Hobbyking hasn't stocked them in a while but they can be had from RC Timer.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Wow Ninja nice pics and nice job salvaging your plane even though there was like noting left.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahahaha- Thanks man. It was headed for the trash can, but I kept looking at it thinking, dang, I bet I can fix this thing.
Sorry guys I didn't get any pics of the maiden but I'm happy to report it flies very well.
Glides like crazy, I had to do a couple of go around again on landings because it didn't want to come down :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
3010 1700kv Rocket motor.
I have two 1700kv and one 1400kv- I like them a lot but it looks like HobbyPartz is having stocking issues ;)