The guys you always make fun of

aerobaticandy

Have you ever seen the person who turns up at the flying field with a tatty flight box a model held together with hot glue and duck tape and an engine that has more dead sticks than a box of fire wood. Even after all this they didn't care how it looked as long as there model flew and it put a smile on their face. Always trying something different and normally going home with a bin bag full of bits. Only to return the next week with the same battered plane just with more tape and glue added.

That was me once not so long ago I used to have a motto that a tidy shed was a sign of a wasted life. Well it was when you had better things to do like go flying. There was only one other person at the airfield who didn't make fun of me and that was my good friend John Luke maybe it was because I taught him how to fly or maybe we were just to a like but to us if the model flew well that was the only thing that mattered and the sneers of the others at the field just blended into the background of aviation bliss.

Fast forward 5 years and after a lot of time studying engineering some things have changed. I now have developed mild OCD and can't work on a model until everything is put in its place in my workshop. I have a tidy flight box and organised battery box. My models however that's a different story I'm slowly working on getting them tidied up but there are some that will remain to badly crashed to ever get made pretty again, as long as they fly good right? Maybe it's the engineer coming through thats made me like this but I personally think it's because I now have the money to do things a little better. I'm not going to lie if john hadn't come and said lets go flying I would still be sitting staring at a shed full of planes without the heart to fly any. John however hasn't changed much although he now has an amazing ability to make models out of foam board that never fail to put a smile on my face when I get a flight, Getting back together flying after the time out it's refreshing to see that the only thing that matters is aviation.

Till the next time may your landings = your takeoffs

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
aerobaticandy,

Perspective . . . I Like it!

Welcome to the forum! Buncha beatup foam and plastic and props and plans and panes around here, but it's all about keeping things in the air and a smile on our faces!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In all fairness, engineering is "enabling" of those kinda behaviors . . .

. . . Not that it's kept my workbench clean.