The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think he thinks highly of himself that his name should be the biggest print on the plans :ROFLMAO:.

Actually I built one of his planes I think he should build one of mine, if it isn't to big for him to carry out the door that is :p
My real name is below yours, you should take that as a compliment:LOL:
If I'm bored one weekend I'll pass my time building one of your planes, plus I'm designing a bigger plane right now:devilish:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well I am going to take a look at building one of these since it could be a fun one to have in reserve. I have a few motors to take a look at here for this. Two questions what prop are you using and what are you using for hinge pins on the laminated paper hinges? Ok three questions, why not plywood hinges?

Looks like a good design and I, unfortunately, remember when the Kitfox first came out, I was at Oshkosh that year. As if @Grifflyer doesn’t already make me feel old. This is how I must have made guys in our flying club feel in 1986.🤔

If I can get to it I will document the build best I can as I go.
You have a 3D printer correct? I'm going to be making 3D printed hinges in the few days...

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I currently have my hands a bit tied between my Prandtl wing and an Arrowhead, but I'll definitely be building one of these sometime! It's such a sweet looking airplane. Just because I couldn't possibly bring myself to build someone else's design without changing it in some way I think I'll try my hand at getting that wider fuselage you were talking about. I also found a few kitfoxes fitted with Rotec radials that look awesome, so I may give that a go too. I have a thing for radials.
I really need to build a storage rack somewhere, last week I built two planes in under five days and fixed one more. Sheesh.

kitfoxradial.jpg

Honestly it reminds me of the DHC-2 Beaver. I may have to scrap my Bird Dog to build this though, I'll post plans if I do.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I currently have my hands a bit tied between my Prandtl wing and an Arrowhead, but I'll definitely be building one of these sometime! It's such a sweet looking airplane. Just because I couldn't possibly bring myself to build someone else's design without changing it in some way I think I'll try my hand at getting that wider fuselage you were talking about. I also found a few kitfoxes fitted with Rotec radials that look awesome, so I may give that a go too. I have a thing for radials.
I really need to build a storage rack somewhere, last week I built two planes in under five days and fixed one more. Sheesh.

View attachment 154477

Honestly it reminds me of the DHC-2 Beaver. I may have to scrap my Bird Dog to build this though, I'll post plans if I do.
It does have the baby Beaver feel doesn't it. The Beaver is an iconic bush plane, never to be replaced in my mind. I never even heard of the Cub till I got into the hobby, being touted as the ultimate bush plane. I think the Beaver is under rated in the popularity of it.

Have you had the opportunity to fly in a full scale Beaver?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
It does have the baby Beaver feel doesn't it. The Beaver is an iconic bush plane, never to be replaced in my mind. I never even heard of the Cub till I got into the hobby, being touted as the ultimate bush plane. I think the Beaver is under rated in the popularity of it.

Have you had the opportunity to fly in a full scale Beaver?
I wish! I haven't had the chance to fly in much of anything, but I have a few hours in Cessna 182s and 206s. I'd love to have a Beaver someday, but they run for a few hundred thousand usually. A radial-engined Kitfox is definitely looking like a great plan B though...
Believe it or not the Beaver is actually the state bird of Alaska. (jk but it might as well be!)