The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice maiden :) .

If you have access to a 3D printer the friction fit work great for landing gear. I have done it on numerous planes including Kitfox if you go back a few pages. It is the same mount I printed for the Shrubsmacker. I was at the Hobby store picking up balsa for the Extreme and for $9.99 CA the E-flite landing gear for the Apprentice S is basically the same thing I have been doing. I bought the landing gear ( no mount) just the pre-bent wire and wheels already on so I designed the mount into the Extreme but the other guys are flat plates just hot glued into place. The E-flite part number if you want to google it is EFL310007 .
Ok, I'll look into it. I do like the suspension the rubber bands give and how it doesn't transfer the hit to the fuselage if I mess up the landing...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice maiden :) .

If you have access to a 3D printer the friction fit work great for landing gear. I have done it on numerous planes including Kitfox if you go back a few pages. It is the same mount I printed for the Shrubsmacker. I was at the Hobby store picking up balsa for the Extreme and for $9.99 CA the E-flite landing gear for the Apprentice S is basically the same thing I have been doing. I bought the landing gear ( no mount) just the pre-bent wire and wheels already on so I designed the mount into the Extreme but the other guys are flat plates just hot glued into place. The E-flite part number if you want to google it is EFL310007 .
I have seen those struts before at the hobby shop, I to thought about picking them up

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great looking plane and flight @The Hangar makes me want to get mine done and into the air. Indo need to get off my backside and order the motor I want for it. So I guess I'll get on that. I have been thinking of the landing gear and after seeing your I am still not sure :)
Yeah, the rimfire motor is a beast! It honestly doesn’t feel like much more power than my bushwacker, but the kitfox is a bigger plane - pretty substantial actually. It weighs a bit more and is a lot bigger and it has unlimited vertical. I was able to hover it a bit today! The 12x6 prop is perfect for it IMHO. I think with a little more tweaking the rubber and gear could work but something like what @Wildthing did would definitely be a lot easier!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, the rimfire motor is a beast! It honestly doesn’t feel like much more power than my bushwacker, but the kitfox is a bigger plane - pretty substantial actually. It weighs a bit more and is a lot bigger and it has unlimited vertical. I was able to hover it a bit today! The 12x6 prop is perfect for it IMHO. I think with a little more tweaking the rubber and gear could work but something like what @Wildthing did would definitely be a lot easier!
I should say when I come in for a high speed pass it really has good speed though, and while in the air it feels big and like you’re flying something pretty big, but it really has kick to it when you up the throttle! It handles winds great that tossed the bushwacker around.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@mayan you were asking how I like the kitfox - here’s the verdict:
It is the perfect plane for me! It can do a lot of aerobatics, flies slow, flies fast, and handles well through it all! I think one big reason I like it so much is that it’s big and heavy, which makes it just feel better in the air and make it handle better. It feels really good in the air, and with the rimfire it can handle the weight and just really cruises around nicely. It flies so much better then a cub. :D It is definitely one of best planes I’ve ever flown, and it’ll be staying in the hangar for a long time! I’ve already got an hour of flight time on it in the last two days!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
It is the perfect plane for me! It can do a lot of aerobatics, flies slow, flies fast, and handles well through it all! I think one big reason I like it so much is that it’s big and heavy, which makes it just feel better in the air and make it handle better. It feels really good in the air, and with the rimfire it can handle the weight and just really cruises around nicely. It flies so much better then a cub. :D It is definitely one of best planes I’ve ever flown, and it’ll be staying in the hangar for a long time! I’ve already got an hour of flight time on it in the last two days!
Well, that sounds like a ringing endorsement. And a lot to live up to. But I am confident it will :). I am happy to see that it is so successful.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Tiny little breeze and it will hover without the flaps :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have seen those struts before at the hobby shop, I to thought about picking them up
This is my little test block I printed to fit this gear and it could be easily built out of plywood, 1 larger flat plate and then some small ones stacked and laminated together to get about 10mm thickness. The gear at the top is about 50mm wide, my slot is 45mm wide by 10mm thick , it is spring loaded in there . Also I have the slot at a 30 degree angle forward.
2020_0218_073826_001.JPG
2020_0218_073832_002.JPG
2020_0218_073855_003.JPG
2020_0218_073936_004.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is my little test block I printed to fit this gear and it could be easily built out of plywood, 1 larger flat plate and then some small ones stacked and laminated together to get about 10mm thickness. The gear at the top is about 50mm wide, my slot is 45mm wide by 10mm thick , it is spring loaded in there . Also I have the slot at a 30 degree angle forward.
View attachment 158405 View attachment 158406 View attachment 158407 View attachment 158408
Those are the same wheels I use on a few of the planes I have done. I bought 6 of them. If I put gear on the spit, those are the ones I am using

mayan

Legendary member
Sweet! @BATTLEAXE you’ve got another builder here soon.