The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

Wildthing

Legendary member
What size of 3s are you thinking? That amperage seems high to me, probably because of the Kv. I ran a 12x6 on 3s with a 40 amp ESC and there are no overheating issues, not that I know what the metrics are on it but it has to be below 40 amps
Higher kv will pull more amps because it is trying to spin it faster.
I ran it at full for 10 seconds plus, motor was cool but esc was getting warm but I only had a 50A esc on there . I plan on running a 50A esc so this will work and I won't be running it full throttle throughout the flight . I know this motor would pull a bigger prop but this will be lots.

battery I will see, probably a 2200 or 3000 ,

Wildthing

Legendary member
Nice. I went the other way with my motor. I havent finished the build yet but i have a 3536 960kv motor ready to put in it. Figure i can go larger props on 3s or spin the 12 incher on 4s

It should be very close to spinning a 12" on 4S.

If you are out shopping for props pick up a 13X4W APC prop , built like the sport prop but wider blade so it pulls a ton of air

Wildthing

Legendary member
Kitty is all back together and ready to test. Suppose to warm up around here , hope the wind stays away.

2020_0228_064933_001.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
https://www.apcprop.com/product/13x4w/

They are meant for 3D planes, the 13" is the smallest diameter they make.
It's a cool idea for 3D but the limitation of the sizing would be an issue. The shape almost looks like a Master Airscrew.

Kitty is all back together and ready to test. Suppose to warm up around here , hope the wind stays away.

View attachment 159604
Looks good, should leap off the ground. I am liking your battery hatch idea more every time I look at your plane. When I build the next one I will do the same. Or I might just redesign the whole plane to be molded instead of folded. Might not be as rugged though...

Wildthing

Legendary member
It's a cool idea for 3D but the limitation of the sizing would be an issue. The shape almost looks like a Master Airscrew.

Looks good, should leap off the ground. I am liking your battery hatch idea more every time I look at your plane. When I build the next one I will do the same. Or I might just redesign the whole plane to be molded instead of folded. Might not be as rugged though...

I went to APC's site trying to look for these props and 13" is the smallest. Now for you and that Rimfire motor it could work really good on 2S . When testing I had 12x6 , 12x8 13x6 normal props and nowhere close to the amount of air it pushed with that 13X4W prop. It may not relate to speed but sure a lot of torque.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I went to APC's site trying to look for these props and 13" is the smallest. Now for you and that Rimfire motor it could work really good on 2S . When testing I had 12x6 , 12x8 13x6 normal props and nowhere close to the amount of air it pushed with that 13X4W prop. It may not relate to speed but sure a lot of torque.
The 11" 3 blade I use works really well for torque having the extra blade and is within the amps parameters on 3s just fine. I actually scaled the plane to be built around that prop. I did do the 12x6 APC on that plane and got some good results out of the torque there too

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I wonder how it would do with the 13”w and 3s. The motor barely gets warm on 3s with the 12x6...

Wildthing

Legendary member
I should listen to my own preaching:D:D Couple minutes into flight while doing an inverted she shut down totally and came straight down nose first. Really surprising almost zero damage, broke the front top piece of foam off infront of the hatch. Oh it did smell in there like burnt electronics, my 6 year old 50A esc didn't like the new motor even though I was just putting around at 1/2 throttle. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I should listen to my own preaching:D:D Couple minutes into flight while doing an inverted she shut down totally and came straight down nose first. Really surprising almost zero damage, broke the front top piece of foam off infront of the hatch. Oh it did smell in there like burnt electronics, my 6 year old 50A esc didn't like the new motor even though I was just putting around at 1/2 throttle. :)
Lol - the kitfox sure is tough though!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well soldered up a 80A esc and went to test it and maybe 1/2 throttle things slowed down and voltage dropped, tried another battery and the same thing. OH , wires are getting hot and motor is super hot. Pull the motor out and all looks good and no burnt windings and spun ok at first and then developed a rough spot to it so apart it comes. Nice little piece of solder jammed in there and not from my doing, these motors came complete with bullet connectors on already . Removed the piece and put the motor back together but damage was already done so a few pictures and so on and submitted a claim to HK so we will see how that goes, I did get credit for that bad servo already. I did buy two of these motors so the other new one is in and purring like a kitten with the 80A esc (overkill :D )

2020_0229_091005_001.JPG 2020_0229_091854_001 (2).JPG