The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I realized I should post my build progress here. After some teasing about never getting around to building the kitfox I noticed that 1, I was done building the dr1 upscale and 2, the weather should be great on Monday. (fingers crossed.) I won't have any build time tomorrow so I found myself today making huge progress toward getting the kitfox in the air in a day and a half. I needed a few more parts cut out but had the main part of the wing folded so a bit of a head start. I am running short on time. I do have to work tomorrow and can't stay up all night. so chances are the steerable tail wheel and paint may have to wait till after the maiden. what I do have is a magnetic battery hatch I borrowed from @Wildthing and I decided since I was short on time to engineer a screw-on wing mounting.

the fancy wing took more time than expected but was a very satisfying part of the build.
wing.jpg

this is probably overkill but that wing is not coming off :) until I want it to then it is very easy.

wing screws.jpg

a few more bits to do. The tail control surfaces are next. Then the landing gear might be done printing. then.. it might be time to chose a prop and test it.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I nearly had it in a flyable state tonight but as I was setting up the flaperons one of the wing servos crapped out went twitchy and possessed. so ill dig that out and replace it tomorrow I guess. but it is looking great.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I might have a winner for a new motor finally, only $13.00, the Turnigy Air 3730 1000kv. Good power with only the 12x6 prop and I think it was pulling 29A. Now to put it to work :)

Oh, Kitty needs larger skis but maybe next year, hopefully wheels will be going on soon.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Well I might have a winner for a new motor finally, only $13.00, the Turnigy Air 3730 1000kv. Good power with only the 12x6 prop and I think it was pulling 29A. Now to put it to work :)

Oh, Kitty needs larger skis but maybe next year, hopefully wheels will be going on soon.

That looked like a good flight on that motor. I flew mine today as well but won't have a video up till after work tonight. I'll have to compare our flights to see the differences from yours to my new motor. a Leopard 3536 980kv. I used an 11x5.5 prop and flew it for about 10 and a half minutes. next filght ill try not to go quite as long :) really nice flying plane though.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

So that's what it looks like when a plane will fly further then 40' lol. Nice flight, flaps really slow it down good

Wildthing

Legendary member
That looked like a good flight on that motor. I flew mine today as well but won't have a video up till after work tonight. I'll have to compare our flights to see the differences from yours to my new motor. a Leopard 3536 980kv. I used an 11x5.5 prop and flew it for about 10 and a half minutes. next filght ill try not to go quite as long :) really nice flying plane though.
I never did check my battery to see what was left, just brought it in before I would have to do a long walk through the snow :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It does add stability in calm weather. The Bushwacker had over 6" of under camber on the tips and it would grab any breeze and cause excessive roll issues. I cut those in half and it was better. Thats why i opted for the no UC and tip fences

Zetoyoc

Elite member
the kitfox is the first plane I flew before painting. The weather was just too good to waste waiting for paint to dry. I did finally paint it. hopefully my color choice will keep it well visible and oriented in the sky :) After taking the pictures i realized it does need something more. i think it needs a tail number or something back there on the side or tail to balance it a bit. but i like it as is too

kf side.jpg
kf front.jpg

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
the kitfox is the first plane I flew before painting. The weather was just too good to waste waiting for paint to dry. I did finally paint it. hopefully my color choice will keep it well visible and oriented in the sky :) After taking the pictures i realized it does need something more. i think it needs a tail number or something back there on the side or tail to balance it a bit. but i like it as is too

View attachment 161187 View attachment 161188
Looks great!

Wildthing

Legendary member

SWEET

K3V0

Elite member

Great detail work! It looks like your LG is forgiving too! Is your tail wheel steerable?

Wildthing

Legendary member

Had to go through Ebay because Altitude doesn't ship to Canada but I have this guy coming to test with :)

Leopard 3542-5T 1080kv Brushless Airplane Motor

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Had to go through Ebay because Altitude doesn't ship to Canada but I have this guy coming to test with :)

Leopard 3542-5T 1080kv Brushless Airplane Motor
I looked at that one too, briefly. I was doing a lot of research on the thrust/ amp readings and I think I am going to do a lower KV to have the option of 4s as it is rated, best bang for the buck, looked better on paper, even the 900kv was more efficient. It would be interesting to see what you think of them when you put them to the test

Wildthing

Legendary member
I looked at that one too, briefly. I was doing a lot of research on the thrust/ amp readings and I think I am going to do a lower KV to have the option of 4s as it is rated, best bang for the buck, looked better on paper, even the 900kv was more efficient. It would be interesting to see what you think of them when you put them to the test

I am looking at it to spin that 13x4W 3D prop on 2S or 3S