The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Side view drawing of the Kit...
20200617_192402.jpg

This was the second run of the side view. I had already drawn up the top and front profiles and the side view was just supposed to be a copy representation of the two combined. Once i saw it in side view it didn't look right, kinda looked like a minivan. Just moving the rear former forward an inch made a world of difference. Mocked up the fuse box...
20200617_203029.jpg

20200617_203035.jpg

Then my 2212 kit got delivered today. Comes with a 2212 1400kv motor complete with the trimmings, two prop adaptors, firewall, x mount, 30 amp esc, and two crappy 8x6 props. Good deal for what you get at $30, but you definitely see the difference in quality on all the components. All said and done though it should do the job well enough. Check out how cute it is next to the rimfire...
20200618_211050.jpg

What makes me laugh is that the 2212 is a b pack equivalent, sans the KV of coarse, in size which will fly the Simple Scout, if built light enough. I ran this Rimfire in all my Scouts, which means one of or a combination of things. Either I build heavy or i just like a lot of power. There are many reasons why I like this size of motor, but this one in particular is 1400kv which will do nicely on 3s with 30-32" WS. Any way onto the rest of the fuse, I built the formers next...
20200618_230239.jpg

20200618_230320.jpg

I found there was just enough room along the side stringer to get a servo beside the fuse box instead of inside taking up room. So much more room for the Rx, it was just a natural solution to space efficiency, gonna try to utilize this on future builds. I also wrapped the FB paper around the skewers that the wing and the LG mount to by rubber band, plus both top and bottom skewers are mounted to the same former, definitely won't be tearing any skewers from the FB. Got the radial cowl finished up as well...
20200618_230157.jpg
20200618_230133.jpg

The battery hatch will be going in the area between the cowl and the second former, along with the windshield attached to it. Still hafta make the power pod, but next really is to skin the sides of the cockpit and the underside of the nose. This is going just as planned so far, might have just jinxed myself, but i like it. Thanx for watching and stay tuned...

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Side view drawing of the Kit... View attachment 172357
This was the second run of the side view. I had already drawn up the top and front profiles and the side view was just supposed to be a copy representation of the two combined. Once i saw it in side view it didn't look right, kinda looked like a minivan. Just moving the rear former forward an inch made a world of difference. Mocked up the fuse box... View attachment 172358
View attachment 172359
Then my 2212 kit got delivered today. Comes with a 2212 1400kv motor complete with the trimmings, two prop adaptors, firewall, x mount, 30 amp esc, and two crappy 8x6 props. Good deal for what you get at $30, but you definitely see the difference in quality on all the components. All said and done though it should do the job well enough. Check out how cute it is next to the rimfire... View attachment 172360
What makes me laugh is that the 2212 is a b pack equivalent, sans the KV of coarse, in size which will fly the Simple Scout, if built light enough. I ran this Rimfire in all my Scouts, which means one of or a combination of things. Either I build heavy or i just like a lot of power. There are many reasons why I like this size of motor, but this one in particular is 1400kv which will do nicely on 3s with 30-32" WS. Any way onto the rest of the fuse, I built the formers next... View attachment 172363
View attachment 172364
I found there was just enough room along the side stringer to get a servo beside the fuse box instead of inside taking up room. So much more room for the Rx, it was just a natural solution to space efficiency, gonna try to utilize this on future builds. I also wrapped the FB paper around the skewers that the wing and the LG mount to by rubber band, plus both top and bottom skewers are mounted to the same former, definitely won't be tearing any skewers from the FB. Got the radial cowl finished up as well... View attachment 172362 View attachment 172361
The battery hatch will be going in the area between the cowl and the second former, along with the windshield attached to it. Still hafta make the power pod, but next really is to skin the sides of the cockpit and the underside of the nose. This is going just as planned so far, might have just jinxed myself, but i like it. Thanx for watching and stay tuned...
Ii really like your idea for the skeleton on this one. i cant wait to see how this progresses

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
the kitfox is the first plane I flew before painting. The weather was just too good to waste waiting for paint to dry. I did finally paint it. hopefully my color choice will keep it well visible and oriented in the sky :) After taking the pictures i realized it does need something more. i think it needs a tail number or something back there on the side or tail to balance it a bit. but i like it as is too

View attachment 161187 View attachment 161188
Great paint job!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Progress on the little kitfox...
20200621_010318.jpg
20200621_010300.jpg
20200620_224710.jpg

Are the wheels to big... never!
20200621_010233.jpg
20200621_010440.jpg

How cool does that look from the top shot. The way I put together the control horn on the ailerons, right to the inside at the edge i will ghave to glue the wing down instead of using rubber bands. Long story short, I though I had a brilliant idea to begin with then it didn't pan out so now I am kinda committed. If i build another then i will change it and put the aileron servos in the wing, depends on how this works out. Moving on to finish it today, obviously the nose needs to be skinned and the hatch made, there are some detail stuff to work out as well. Coming along just as planned though

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Side view drawing of the Kit... View attachment 172357
This was the second run of the side view. I had already drawn up the top and front profiles and the side view was just supposed to be a copy representation of the two combined. Once i saw it in side view it didn't look right, kinda looked like a minivan. Just moving the rear former forward an inch made a world of difference. Mocked up the fuse box... View attachment 172358
View attachment 172359
Then my 2212 kit got delivered today. Comes with a 2212 1400kv motor complete with the trimmings, two prop adaptors, firewall, x mount, 30 amp esc, and two crappy 8x6 props. Good deal for what you get at $30, but you definitely see the difference in quality on all the components. All said and done though it should do the job well enough. Check out how cute it is next to the rimfire... View attachment 172360
What makes me laugh is that the 2212 is a b pack equivalent, sans the KV of coarse, in size which will fly the Simple Scout, if built light enough. I ran this Rimfire in all my Scouts, which means one of or a combination of things. Either I build heavy or i just like a lot of power. There are many reasons why I like this size of motor, but this one in particular is 1400kv which will do nicely on 3s with 30-32" WS. Any way onto the rest of the fuse, I built the formers next... View attachment 172363
View attachment 172364
I found there was just enough room along the side stringer to get a servo beside the fuse box instead of inside taking up room. So much more room for the Rx, it was just a natural solution to space efficiency, gonna try to utilize this on future builds. I also wrapped the FB paper around the skewers that the wing and the LG mount to by rubber band, plus both top and bottom skewers are mounted to the same former, definitely won't be tearing any skewers from the FB. Got the radial cowl finished up as well... View attachment 172362 View attachment 172361
I like the idea of the Servos sitting out of the box core. Helps keep things tidy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
About 95% done the build
20200621_180952.jpg
20200621_180846.jpg

There is still some detail work to be done. I have found that with no battery this will balance on CG at 25% of the wing chord. This means that i can run as big a battery as it will carry. So far there has been a 1800 and a 2200 3s fit in and balanced, two thumbs up here.
20200621_180905.jpg
20200621_180802.jpg

I did try some taxi testing in the driveway and found that the tail surfaces have plenty of authority. On a bit of a run up it ran into the grass on the diveway and flipped over, breaking the rudder hinge. Made a new rudder surface and attached with a tape hinge. Both the battery hatch and rear wind screen/turtle deck fit super nice

Still looking for inspiration on the paint scheme. I want bad ass bush plane feel, gonna search up some images and see what strikes me

Wildthing

Legendary member
About 95% done the build View attachment 172601 View attachment 172603
There is still some detail work to be done. I have found that with no battery this will balance on CG at 25% of the wing chord. This means that i can run as big a battery as it will carry. So far there has been a 1800 and a 2200 3s fit in and balanced, two thumbs up here. View attachment 172602 View attachment 172604
I did try some taxi testing in the driveway and found that the tail surfaces have plenty of authority. On a bit of a run up it ran into the grass on the diveway and flipped over, breaking the rudder hinge. Made a new rudder surface and attached with a tape hinge. Both the battery hatch and rear wind screen/turtle deck fit super nice

Still looking for inspiration on the paint scheme. I want bad ass bush plane feel, gonna search up some images and see what strikes me
Looks pretty slick

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
There is still some detail work to be done. I have found that with no battery this will balance on CG at 25% of the wing chord. This means that i can run as big a battery as it will carry. So far there has been a 1800 and a 2200 3s fit in and balanced, two thumbs up here. View attachment 172602 View attachment 172604

Sweet!

"Corpse"

Legendary member

Just saw this build after vacation! I wanted you to do a radial version for so long, and you delivered! YEAH:love::love::love:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

She's looking awesome!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I love it! :D