The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Everywhere we look if you are seeking an easy RC plane to start learning to fly, or you want a cool STOL bush plane, no matter what RC model company you look at, everyone has a version of the Piper Cub. Even our FT Cub, a great plane for any aspect of flying is still a Cub. I bring to you an alternative, an option, a choice. The Kitfox
20200101_182357.jpg
The Kitfox has always been regarded as a direct correlation to the Cub in the full scale arena and here in the RC world it is no different. This is a versatile STOL airframe that will teach you to fly all the way to relaxing calm evenings sitting on the beach flying in the sunset over the water. Here is some flight footage to get you drooling...

I started this thread to give anyone who would like to volunteer to be a Beta Builder for this sweet model. I have obviously built one already but it would be selfish to keep this much fun to myself. So with the help of @Grifflyer who I profusely thank for drawing up these plans, I share these plans with you.

The only request I have is you post your progress here to help me document a build thread which will essentially be written by you. The plans themselves are fairly intuitive if you have built a couple FT models already and if there are any questions I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to help address any issues.

Thank you and good luck on the build (y)

Attachments

• Kitfox Plans 1.2.pdf
    993 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Everything you need is there except the LG, that would be a builders option for the wheels, floats, or ski's. And the wingtip fences, which can also be a choice of style. You could go with straight tips, the angled dropped fences like I have on mine, which are sweet for multiple reasons, or you could create a small under cambered wing tip, but I think we have all had enough experience with them on other models. It's up to you.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I almost thought you called it the Grifflyer since that name is first and biggest on the plans :) you must think highly of that guy to name your plane after him :)
I think he thinks highly of himself that his name should be the biggest print on the plans :ROFLMAO:.

Actually I built one of his planes I think he should build one of mine, if it isn't to big for him to carry out the door that is :p

jfaleo1

Well I am going to take a look at building one of these since it could be a fun one to have in reserve. I have a few motors to take a look at here for this. Two questions what prop are you using and what are you using for hinge pins on the laminated paper hinges? Ok three questions, why not plywood hinges?

Looks like a good design and I, unfortunately, remember when the Kitfox first came out, I was at Oshkosh that year. As if @Grifflyer doesn’t already make me feel old. This is how I must have made guys in our flying club feel in 1986.🤔

If I can get to it I will document the build best I can as I go.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I already have seen interest from a few possibles Like @Tdugar @ScratchBuildMast @Zetoyoc @The Hangar and even @Wildthing to name a few. Anyone else who is willing to step up to the plate is more then welcome. It gives me the opportunity to get more feedback. Thank you.
Downloaded :) , Still have to put the final touches on the Mustang and Shredder, both minimal work just haven't had the drive lately and with the weather it makes it worse :D . I still need to complete my design of the tray for the Jumper T16 so I can mount my camera .

mach1 rc

Master member
Everywhere we look if you are seeking an easy RC plane to start learning to fly, or you want a cool STOL bush plane, no matter what RC model company you look at, everyone has a version of the Pipe Cub. Even our FT Cub, a great plane for any aspect of flying is still a Cub. I bring to you an alternative, an option, a choice. The Kitfox View attachment 154078 The Kitfox has always been regarded as a direct correlation to the Cub in the full scale arena and here in the RC world it is no different. This is a versatile STOL airframe that will teach you to fly all the way to relaxing calm evenings sitting on the beach flying in the sunset over the water. Here is some flight footage to get you drooling...

I started this thread to give anyone who would like to volunteer to be a Beta Builder for this sweet model. I have obviously built one already but it would be selfish to keep this much fun to myself. So with the help of @Grifflyer who I profusely thank for drawing up these plans, I share these plans with you.

The only request I have is you post your progress here to help me document a build thread which will essentially be written by you. The plans themselves are fairly intuitive if you have built a couple FT models already and if there are any questions I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to help address any issues.

Thank you and good luck on the build (y)
That's an awesome plane!!!!! Thanks for the plans😎👍😎👍😎👍😎

IanSR

I am not sure about making a conversion to A4 as a new PDF but I do know you could pull it into Adobe Acrobat and tile it there however you like. I do this even if there are tiled plans offered

Thanks I don't use acrobat (I like my machine to run at the speed it's supposed to lol) but I might get another guy in the club to try and print it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was thinking of making it wider kinda like the Bushwhacker to be more fitting to the side by side pilot/passenger configuration. But I also found the Bushwhacker to be a fragile fuse comparatively. I have crashed this Kitfox a couple of times now, one really good one actually, loss of signal, dead batteries in the TX, from a decent height. And this fuse has taken the hits pretty good, akin to the Sportster. If I can think of a decent way to get the scale look and retain the physical properties of the full scale Kitfox then I may change it later. I think this way you get just that little more wing area with the narrower fuse, however much it accounts for that is

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well I am going to take a look at building one of these since it could be a fun one to have in reserve. I have a few motors to take a look at here for this. Two questions what prop are you using and what are you using for hinge pins on the laminated paper hinges? Ok three questions, why not plywood hinges?

Looks like a good design and I, unfortunately, remember when the Kitfox first came out, I was at Oshkosh that year. As if @Grifflyer doesn’t already make me feel old. This is how I must have made guys in our flying club feel in 1986.🤔

The prop I am using is an 11x7x3. It's the prop I started with and maidened on so it is what I compare all other props I have tried on it to. Really no other prop I have tried on it compares in speed, torque and efficiency. Others have made the comparison that the Storch will run fine on the C pack with a 10x45 and this model is slightly smaller so by all means run that power set up if you like. I just like to have power in the bank and not need it then need it and not have it

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

The hinge pins are just segments of paper clips trimmed and bent in a "U" shape to fit the hinges. I used laminated card stock just because that's what I had on hand, by all means if you feel it better to use plywood, have at it. I will say I am surprised how durable the laminated card stock is. Using it on the wing tip fences has proved to be a solid wing tip bumper for those less then stellar landings, a couple are in the above video

Last edited: