The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
What's this I'm hearing about rubber banded landing gear? Any pics? Also how would this plane be as a trainer? I can handle a 4ch but I need something slow to train my eyes to tell orientation. The simulator has that nifty zoomed window in the corner but for whatever reason I can't see it when I fly for real...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What's this I'm hearing about rubber banded landing gear? Any pics? Also how would this plane be as a trainer? I can handle a 4ch but I need something slow to train my eyes to tell orientation. The simulator has that nifty zoomed window in the corner but for whatever reason I can't see it when I fly for real...
I’ll try to get some pictures tonight. I can’t recommend the kitfox enough for that - it would be the perfect choice!

Legendary member
I’ll try to get some pictures tonight. I can’t recommend the kitfox enough for that - it would be the perfect choice!
I just looked at the big red kitfox a few pages ago and saw the gear, I think I get the idea and I like it. What kind of motor works best with this? I have a spare 2212 Radial lying around but I don't know it that'll have the power I'll need for a plane like this.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I just looked at the big red kitfox a few pages ago and saw the gear, I think I get the idea and I like it. What kind of motor works best with this? I have a spare 2212 Radial lying around but I don't know it that'll have the power I'll need for a plane like this.
The 2212 is the b pack motor and this plane should need at minimum a c pack or equivilant. The radial 2218. ( I think that is a 2834? In standard can sizing ) Many of the kitfox builds are using even larger motors than that. A few have a 3536 size installed.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I put a 3536 1200kv on, same with @The Hangar, I am not to sure what @Wildthing is using on his

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes here are pictures of the landing gear on my kitfox:
A877BE17-2246-4F2E-AAB0-F703254C0940.jpeg
F5C1CD90-D7DB-4FF1-96D0-782A53E0ED56.jpeg
583721C6-DF66-43DF-806C-CF8B7E46CBCD.jpeg

The wheels are directly off the bushwacker.

Legendary member
No problem! The Radial should carry it around just fine - it probably won't have unlimited vertical like it does on the rimfire, but it will still be a lot of fun!
I think it'll be perfect for the casual flyer I'm looking for. I forgot to ask, what gauge wire are you using for landing gear? This is new to me, most of my planes are belly landers.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think it'll be perfect for the casual flyer I'm looking for. I forgot to ask, what gauge wire are you using for landing gear? This is new to me, most of my planes are belly landers.
@BATTLEAXE would be the one to ask about landing gear. I just bought the thickest wire I could find that fit some wheels I bought for my cub. The leftovers I used on this build. I can’t remember the size of wire it was. The “thick” sized landing gear you can buy on the ft store would work perfect for the Kitfox though. I think it’s just a tad bit thinner than the stuff I used, and the stuff I use is definitly on the thick side. I had to use a vice just to bend it... :oops:

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE would be the one to ask about landing gear. I just bought the thickest wire I could find that fit some wheels I bought for my cub. The leftovers I used on this build. I can’t remember the size of wire it was. The “thick” sized landing gear you can buy on the ft store would work perfect for the Kitfox though. I think it’s just a tad bit thinner than the stuff I used, and the stuff I use is definitly on the thick side. I had to use a vice just to bend it... :oops:
The stuff on the FT store is about 1/8," I happen to have some 1/8" wire I used on the Stearman and Bird Dog. It's a bit heavy I think for the Bird Dog but I guess it'll be fine for something a bit bigger.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The stuff on the FT store is about 1/8," I happen to have some 1/8" wire I used on the Stearman and Bird Dog. It's a bit heavy I think for the Bird Dog but I guess it'll be fine for something a bit bigger.
You know the wire that they use on election signs that they line the streets with?... I use that wire for my landing gear. It easy to work with, strong enough for what we use it for, and it's free :ROFLMAO:

Legendary member
I've got a wee problem...
I put my triplane and a few WIPs in my grandma's garage on Friday because I needed the space and wasn't going to be using them anytime soon. I need the motor out of my triplane but they've left to Pittsburgh for a few weeks! They'll probably be back before I need it though so it's not much of an issue.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've got a wee problem...
I put my triplane and a few WIPs in my grandma's garage on Friday because I needed the space and wasn't going to be using them anytime soon. I need the motor out of my triplane but they've left to Pittsburgh for a few weeks! They'll probably be back before I need it though so it's not much of an issue.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask