Help! The LARRYMOBILE

ClassickSwagger

Hello guys so recently all of my little brothers and sisters have been watching VeggieTales, (a childhood favorite) and I had a great idea. Why not make the larrymobile fly??? :) For those of you who don't know the larrymobile is the batmobile equivalent for our crime fighting cucumber( view pictures below )

Side View.jpg

FLYYYY.jpg
I AM THAT HERO.jpg
20200912_222409.jpg

As you can see it looks pretty cool, I drew up a rough sketch of how it might be designed, but this is my first no- plans build so I thought I would ask for some advice, like in materials, power systems, ect... So if you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks-Braden

ClassickSwagger

ClassickSwagger

What are you planning for the dimensions of the body ?

Well I'm thinking about 12-24 inches in length and making the width scale it all depends on what kind of scrap pieces of foam I can find ( the nearest hobby store that sells anything useful is over an hour away) My biggest question is in power systems, I could do a pusher in the tail but it would probably have bad CG issues, so I thought about making it an EDF but I've never flown or made one of those before.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Well I'm thinking about 12-24 inches in length and making the width scale it all depends on what kind of scrap pieces of foam I can find ( the nearest hobby store that sells anything useful is over an hour away) My biggest question is in power systems, I could do a pusher in the tail but it would probably have bad CG issues, so I thought about making it an EDF but I've never flown or made one of those before.

I think you could balance a pusher by keeping the battery far up in the nose. I am not sure what effect the canards have and would try to make the chuck glider 1st. Once you know where the CG is good then you can add a power system. I would keep away from EDF since they are a bit more complicated and in general more expensive.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The FT Goblin has the motor right in the tail, you will need larger batts or more weight then you think but it will work. The nice thing about canards is if you add a little AOA like 10 degrees then the canards will be the first to stall and will drop the nose for a stable glide. Then under throttle it will keep the front end up and level. Take a look at some of the FT Viggen vids on YT.

ClassickSwagger

So... Does anyone have any ideas on a way I could have a completely smooth body? The foam I have on hand is too soft, don't know if I could try moulding foam board to get a smooth look or what. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it thanks-Braden

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Moulding the FB would be the way to go, however i don't know how the FB you speak of will shape. I know the Adams FB is the better stuff to use

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So... Does anyone have any ideas on a way I could have a completely smooth body? The foam I have on hand is too soft, don't know if I could try moulding foam board to get a smooth look or what. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it thanks-Braden

check out the "master- build-style" at FT videos... there you can see more to understand how a round shape fuselage could be made.
If one has already done a Master Series then the design side is easier. I have done MS planes from different designers and I know it has taught me techniques just in the experience of doing the builds. Helps with confidence to take on a design of your own

I think EDFs are very inefficient when it comes to making something like this, I say its better with a pusher and it will be less tail heavy than the EDF unit. Just my thought. Also you can buy foam off Amazon : )