The Life of My FT Spitfire

ThatPolishHotdog

I'm sure the original FT Spit doesn't need another build thread, but I'll document it just in case people can learn something new. I'll be using the FT Power Pack C. In truth, it is not my favorite electronic setup, however it is reliable and they are in good condition. I am using the canopy designed by @Flynn. The power pod and spars are reinforced with balsa, and in the second image, you can see BBQ skewers running through the V-Stab and Elevator. The wings will be started tomorrow, and hopefully a set of new servos will arrive in the mail shortly.
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

flamingo

I'm sure the original FT Spit doesn't need another build thread, but I'll document it just in case people can learn something new. I'll be using the FT Power Pack C. In truth, it is not my favorite electronic setup, however it is reliable and they are in good condition. I am using the canopy designed by @Flynn. The power pod and spars are reinforced with balsa, and in the second image, you can see BBQ skewers running through the V-Stab and Elevator. The wings will be started tomorrow, and hopefully a set of new servos will arrive in the mail shortly. View attachment 181403

View attachment 181404 View attachment 181405 View attachment 181406
can we see a vid when its done

ThatPolishHotdog

Started the wings today. Here you can see the balsa-reinforced spars in place.
IMG_0492.JPG

A tip for the builders out there. I love the under-camber wingtips, but they often crumple under minimal stress during a landing, and make the wingtips look very ugly. A solution I have found it to simply peel back the paper on the bottom cut to the wingtip, and readhere the paper with copious amounts of hot glue. This significantly increases the strength of the wingtip, and makes sure it looks much better, for far longer.

Below is a before and after of the process. The red indicates where glue is applied and the direction the glue should be squeegeed.
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0488.JPG

Unfortunately, the squeegee does crinkle the paper and foam underneath, as seen above, but in my opinion is a better trade than a damaged wingtip. Work shall resume once I have a fresh batch of servos in hand.

ThatPolishHotdog

You said the Radial C isn't your preferred electronic setup. Just curious, what do you prefer?

Specifically, I don't like the 35A ESC. I prefer the EMAX brand esc's that came with the old power packs. Unfortunately I sold mine. Close inspection of two crashes have both pointed to the BEC acting up on my ESC, causing me to lose a Bronco and another Spitfire. It could also be other things, but suffice to say my ESC's have been temperamental compared to others of similar specs.

I use a wire across the elevator....I'm curious how well the skewer will keep both sides of the elevator connected.

I am too. Traditionally I have used coffee sticks, but in the Master Series Spitfire build, John uses a skewer through the horizontal stab, so I decided to follow what he does only for the elevator.

Last edited:

ThatPolishHotdog

A little work today. To prevent the ailerons from flexing, I ran a BBQ skewer through both of them. Only one is pictured below, but you can see where is runs and all that.
IMG_0502.JPG

Flyingshark

Master member
The servos finally arrived at the doorstop today! Work started immediately.
View attachment 181948 View attachment 181949 And she's done! All that she needs is a nice paint job, and she'll be ready for the maiden. It surprisingly heavy, but it must be because of the extra reinforcement.
Beautiful!! It looks like you cut off the top of the rudder, and did a different shape. Is that just the perspective?

ThatPolishHotdog

Beautiful!! It looks like you cut off the top of the rudder, and did a different shape. Is that just the perspective?
The cuts on the elevator are different as well.

Sharp eyes! Yes I've cut the tail surfaces to resemble the earlier Mk Spits, as I will be painting it in a 1939/1940 Summer camo. The Standard lines of the rudder and elevator are for later Mks, specifically the IX and XIV respectively.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Specifically, I don't like the 35A ESC. I prefer the EMAX brand esc's that came with the old power packs. Unfortunately I sold mine. Close inspection of two crashes have both pointed to the BEC acting up on my ESC, causing me to lose a Bronco and another Spitfire. It could also be other things, but suffice to say my ESC's have been temperamental compared to others of similar specs.

I am too. Traditionally I have used coffee sticks, but in the Master Series Spitfire build, John uses a skewer through the horizontal stab, so I decided to follow what he does only for the elevator.
Why do you like a seperate power source for your escs?

ThatPolishHotdog

Paint job getting started with the underside.
IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

Masking tape off and she's all painted! Definitely one of my favorite paint schemes for any plane, ever.
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG

All that's left is the cockpit, exhausts, and markings. The cockpit has been a real pain in the ass to get right, but I am going to try my best as that Malcolm hood is such an iconic look.