The Life of my Tiny Trainer | Build Log and Review

Today I began my first built - the Flite Test Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer.

As I'm from the UK, I couldn't get it direct from the Flite Test store, so instead I ordered it from gliders.uk.com. The package arrived promptly and in perfect condition.

I will be posting here my thoughts and opinions on the glider, as well as build pictures and and issues I have.

I began my build today, and am generally impressed so far. The lack of build instructions wasn't surprising, but it would be nice to see them in future kits. I was however, a little baffled when I started out - the video is a bit vague, and it isn't really possible without the plans. However, once I got into the swing of it I found building increasingly easy. What didn't help is that the video links to the wrong power pod build tutorial - the swappable one instead of the mini.

I'm about to finish the fuselage so build pics will be on their way soon!

William

FDS

Elite member
Before you throw out any frames left from cutting the parts out, remember they are useful as templates for making more. Also make several spare power pods and order more firewalls as the TT breaks them a lot.

The construction of the fuselage went pretty much without an issue, and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. My one issue is with the two methods of bevelling the control surfaces. I cut the elevator (above) with my craft knife, and the rudder (below) was sanded using 120 grit sand paper. As you can see, I highly recommend using sandpaper over a knife! :p

I'm working on the glider nose right now, so more pics inbound shortly.

QZJM2003.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
TJYZ0724.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG

OK, next update. I've finished the glider nose, and almost finished the powered nose. Building this was not quite as hitch-free than the fuselage, but overall it was ok. Gluing my finger while bending the nose wasn't great, nor was the fact that the holes for the barbecue skewers didn't quite line up, so I had to poke new holes. But it seems to work fine, so I'm happy.
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG

FDS

Elite member
It’s worth ironing the edges of the tail and wing once popped together, it stops the paper delaminating and makes a nice neat rounded edge. Also worth doing on the upward edges of the nose pods.
There is a thread on here about it, I used a domestic iron on medium hot, practice on scrap and you can get a perfect edge. Be aware it can leave a little residue on the iron so don’t anger any domestic authorities!
image.jpg
Top tip for the nose rolling, although the power nose is easier, put the glue on the big part, hold that in your hand then keep the nose piece on the table and roll the main nose over it, then you don’t touch the glue and it applies even pressure for you. If you can’t make the roll in one move do it in two halves. I used that method on my mini guinea and it was way easier.

Next update! I’ve kind of finished the plane! I didn’t really take many photos at this stage, so I’m sorry for that.

The power nose was very straight forward, and I didn’t burn myself like with the glider nose!

I am yet to build the advanced wing, but have done the training wing.

The wing was definitely the hardest part to get right. When folding it, I managed to tear the paper on the foam, which meant that I did have to sellotape it. I can’t blame this on the kit/instructional video, but it would have been nice to know that the risk was present.

Let me know what you think!
9A1BE114-0C26-4CB9-821A-E4A5F6B5FDA8.jpeg
A14F5FCD-D536-4696-8155-1CE4DECC13D1.jpeg

jack10525

I have built and repaired at least 4 TT’s. This is the plane I finally learned to fly Rc with. Cutting bevels takes a little practice. I usually make a score line to help guide me. Also very sharp knives help as well as sandpaper. Build looks good. Have fun with the maiden.

I have built and repaired at least 4 TT’s. This is the plane I finally learned to fly Rc with. Cutting bevels takes a little practice. I usually make a score line to help guide me. Also very sharp knives help as well as sandpaper. Build looks good. Have fun with the maiden.
A sharper knife would probably help!

The maiden won't be happening any time soon - the electronics are arriving over the course of the coming weeks, and even then I'll be arrested if I go to the park!

Long time no see! The majority of my electronics have arrived - in fact everything but the battery! I'll be getting to work soon.

My soldering iron is broken!

My battery just arrived meaning that I was planning to start building. I got everything out, plugged in my soldering iron, and it didn't work. I'm seeing if I can fix it, but I reckon it won't work...

I think my Dad might have an old one lying around so I'll see if he still has it.

Ok, so. I found my Dad's old soldering iron - the tip is bent and destroyed but it will have to do. It also isn't possible to replace the tip. Nevertheless, I'm getting on with the wiring. Pics incoming soon!

FDS

Elite member
When you want a new iron I have found the 25W Antex with silicone cable a superb iron for all types of work. You can also use crimp connectors if you need to as an alternative. The blue auto ones that are just a tube that you put the wire in, they are as good as solder.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hey, i have been out for a while. My home internet conection is pretty bad. Your trainer is looking really great. very neat build!!!!!
The bevel cuts works better with a really sharpen blade using a ruler and the edge of yout table to guide de cut. But sanding works great too.
What part do u need to solder? The ESC and/or motor conectors, or the battery conector?

Well after, a couple of days of fiddling I managed to get the receiver working... turns out the labels on the receiver confused me and I had the cable upside down!!! I'm going to set it up in the glider config this afternoon so I can at least test it in my garden!

Finished!
This morning I wired up the motor and did a little thrust-test in the garden. Oh my lord, this thing is scary. I put a huge prop on a motor which is slightly bigger than the one recommended, and it must be pulling at least a couple of kilograms.

The battery I chose is a bit bigger and heavier than I would've liked (3S 800mAh, probably could of done with a 2S 500mAh) so it is a pretty tight fit up front. Given the weight of it, it feels ever so slightly nose heavy in the hand, although I haven't flown it yet. I am very impressed with the aircraft, and am already looking for recommendations for my next build! (@cdfigueredo if you do those plans, please let me know!).

One question:

My motor comes with a thing (I don't know what else to call it!):
1586692728770.png

I guess it is for mounting the propeller. However, the hole in the prop is too small for the screw-thing on the mounting-thing (so many things), but fits quite well on the shaft of the motor itself. This means that it has a tendency to pop off. What can I do to stop this?