The Majik1's First Scratch Build

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Alright all, I got my package from Grayson Hobby Wednesday. These guys know what they are doing and are quick to get an order out. I will be buying from them again, no question!

So here is a pic of what I received:
IMG_0276.JPG

Spektrum 600 rx
GH2217-09 Motor
Grayson 30 amp ESC
1800 mAh 3S 11.1 25C lipo
EC3 Male and female connectors
8X4 Electric Thin
10X5 Electric Thin

I have soldered the ESC connectors to the ESC, and used an EC3 connector for the battery. The battery came with a Deans plug. I did get a adapter to plug the battery into the Deans as I use a lot of EC3 batteries from ParkZone.

Here are some pics of the insides:
IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

I did get some rare earth magnets for the back hatch so I can get to the rx and servos in case, and here they are IMG_0273.JPG

I will post more in a few minutes!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Here is a pic with the prop balanced and adapter attached:

IMG_0280.JPG

And I will attach a video of checking the control surfaces and running up the motor to see how everything looks. Need to upload to youtube first... See you in a bit!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay, here is the video:

I hope to maiden this weekend. If it flies, I will be painting as soon as I can and post the after paint pics!!!

I will post the maiden video as soon as I can fly!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Looks really good. I couldn't tell, did you have a skid or tail wheel? How hard does it pull at full throttle?

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Looks really good. I couldn't tell, did you have a skid or tail wheel? How hard does it pull at full throttle?

Right now, the gear was just placed, not attached. I will probably not have it for the maiden for less weight.

Seems like it pulls okay, going to try with the 8X4 first, then try out the 10X5 depending...

I am stoked to see what happens! As soon as I fly (or attempt to) the vid will be posted!!!

Thanks AK!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think you will not have much trouble. It looks pretty good.

***Make sure you have enough elevator throw set up right from the beginning to at least keep it in a high alpha so if it's trying to dive you can keep the nose up.***

That way if you aren't getting the lift you need or the cg is off, you will have a better chance of keeping it together. Nose heavy is easier to fly than tail heavy.

Try both props on the ground and start with whichever one pulls harder. Better have too much at first than not enough.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I think you will not have much trouble. It looks pretty good.

***Make sure you have enough elevator throw set up right from the beginning to at least keep it in a high alpha so if it's trying to dive you can keep the nose up.***

That way if you aren't getting the lift you need or the cg is off, you will have a better chance of keeping it together. Nose heavy is easier to fly than tail heavy.

Try both props on the ground and start with whichever one pulls harder. Better have too much at first than not enough.

Oh yes, I will have the elevator trimmed up for sure... I set the cg at 33% from the leading edge or so and figured I would start there. I have balanced both props, I guess I can stick the 10" on it and see what the difference in thrust is and go from there. I am hoping that Saturday is a calm day and I can get out and fly some... Been a while and I need some stick time. Keeping up on the simulator though.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Definitely want to be fresh and confident on the sticks when you maiden something, especially a scratch build lol. I almost always start out flying the plane I'm most comfortable with, then move on to my nitro planes or my heli's.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Its alive !! now its time to fly it !!

Im a little concerned with the rubber binding on the wing, when you throttled up i saw the wings vibrating alot in the video ... maybe you didnt fastened tight enough just for the video test ??

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Only enough for vid test! I have a bag of rubber bands for it if needed, around 3 for each side. I know it will be enough when maidened! Thanks for the concern though, I did notice it as well.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor

I put the 10X5 on the motor tonight and ran it up and I cannot believe the difference in the amount of thrust! I am absolutely going to start with this prop. I am glad that you told me to check both before the maiden AK, I have much more confidence in this one.

Thanks!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I put the 10X5 on the motor tonight and ran it up and I cannot believe the difference in the amount of thrust! I am absolutely going to start with this prop. I am glad that you told me to check both before the maiden AK, I have much more confidence in this one.

Thanks!!!

Glad to hear it. A word of caution though, I started playing with different size props on my 3D foamy and it pulled the biggest of them no problem. However, this caused it to get so hot that I couldn't even touch it. Had to drop it down again. Run it hard on the big prop for a while and check temps of your motor and esc before sending it into the sky. It would be horrible to find out things got too hot when you're just getting it trimmed lol.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Glad to hear it. A word of caution though, I started playing with different size props on my 3D foamy and it pulled the biggest of them no problem. However, this caused it to get so hot that I couldn't even touch it. Had to drop it down again. Run it hard on the big prop for a while and check temps of your motor and esc before sending it into the sky. It would be horrible to find out things got too hot when you're just getting it trimmed lol.

Yea, I did run it for a few minutes to be sure the motor nor the ESC got hot. They were both just a little on the warm side, but nothing I would even consider worrying about. This one was recommended for the 10X5 so I think it should be fine.

They are saying the wind is supposed to blow 10-20 mph tomorrow, but I am going to just keep an eye on it and wait for my chance to get out there. A steady 3-5 will be okay, but more than that I will have to postpone.

Getting excited now!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Cool. I'm excited too. Keep looking for little things you can refine to give you more confidence. If you take it up confident, you're a lot less likely to be the cause of any crashes. Double and triple check your programming, your rates, throws, make sure the servos aren't binding, or making noise and not centering, um.....servo direction obviously (but you would not believe how many crashes are something stupid like that). look for anything loose, check your rubber bands, make sure that your wing isn't going to pull away from the fuselage when you pull up hard. I've had that happen.

Triple check all your electrical connections. On my big planes I put a tie wrap tape or heat shrink on all my servo connections, flight battery connections etc. I don't want to lose a plane to a loose connection.

Double check your mounts, control horns, keepers etc. Basically go over it until you're tired of looking at it and then do it again lol.

I'm sure you've done all of this I'm just trying to think of any last thing that might help.

Oh, if your radio has a timer set it up and use it. Set it far below your expected flight time. Make sure you are landing with plenty of power to recover the first couple times. Bring more charged batteries if you have them. I tend to fly till the battery cuts off but I know how my planes will act. Until you are very comfortable with how it flies and your expected run time make sure you have a reserve when you land.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
AK, all good advice and I hear you loud and clear. I have been checking everything over and over, 3 batteries ready to go, servo connections taped in place, and only will fly for about 2 minutes on first flight so I can check motor, ESC, and all connections again to make sure I do not have any issues.

If it doesn't fly, it will be because of something I did overlook, but I cannot see it right now.

Too windy right now to maiden, but all that has to happen is for the wind to get calm and a flying we will go!!!