P-82 Twin Mustang Build Log for Flite Fest Ohio

Liam B

Hello everyone!

As you can see by the title, I'm starting an ambitious project that I'll be taking to Flite Fest Ohio. The event is in less than a month, so I'm putting FPV in the back seat and focusing primarily on this project.

So "what is it?", you may ask? Well...

F823v1.jpg

Above this text is a North American F-82 Twin Mustang. The wingspan should be around 1/7.8th scale, or 90 inches wingspan in total. I'll update this post with more details as the project goes on.

Thanks for your interest! And PLEASE leave any comments or concerns you have! I really value YOUR opinion!!!

Last edited:

Liam B

Cool! is it going to be hand launched or will it have landing gear?

I’ve not really though about that yet, but I’m thinking of hand launching because it would be easier to transport the plane without landing gear.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Man, you better get crackin and pull some all-nighters! In reality, totally doable if you have the time. In 2015 I built a scale 76" span Sikorsky S-39 from scratch to flying in 51 hours over the course of the event. No hot glue, hand cut and soldered struts (like 36 of them I think), hand-carved fuselage, hotwire cut wings, and she flew true as can be. After FF, I took it home and spent another 40 hours on the glass, paint and landing gear. I'm routing for you!

Liam B

Man, you better get crackin and pull some all-nighters! In reality, totally doable if you have the time. In 2015 I built a scale 76" span Sikorsky S-39 from scratch to flying in 51 hours over the course of the event. No hot glue, hand cut and soldered struts (like 36 of them I think), hand-carved fuselage, hotwire cut wings, and she flew true as can be. After FF, I took it home and spent another 40 hours on the glass, paint and landing gear. I'm routing for you!

That plane is a pure beauty! Was amazing to see in person in 2016!

Liam B

I'll keep my eye out for this one at FF!! (Only thing better than a Mustang, is TWO Mustangs!)

That’s what I thought, too! It’s going together well so far! I think I’ll have this one ready and HOPEFULLY shipped to the the event in one piece!

Liam B

I’ll be keeping an eye on this as well, I can’t wait to meet you and see her fly!

Thanks, man! Been wanting to meet you as well! There’s been lots of people who I haven’t met, even after going to FFOhio 2016.

Liam B

So, I’ve already got most of the first page of these plans done. The next part is for me to tape together the second page and cut it out. Then, I need to Put them on posterboard and super 77 them to it. Then I’ll trace them onto a sheet of foam.

Altogether, this plane should be around 90 inches in wingspan. That being said, I’m planning on running it on a four cell battery with Emax 2215 C-PACK motors. I am so cheap, that I’ve run most of my giant builds on these motors and they’ve really proven themselves to me as a good powerful and efficient power plant. Then I’ll couple them to the 30 amp Emax ESC‘s, and not make the mistake of running 9 g servos… Again!

Do any of you have any ideas for landing gear? I’m going to have to ship this plane in a box to Ohio from California. Therefore, the landing gears have to be easy to install but very durable since the runway this year will be a hard surface.
3940D64E-D01C-43BE-AB4C-73E837B3E43E.jpeg

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I would reccomend using the metal structure out of old yard signs. They’re great for getting a good thickness of metal for free.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It has been brought to my attention that my comment may be taken as rather hostile... I assure you it is not. And as proof of my giant airplane hand tossing skills I present you with proof:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@ELEV8 RC - Wow! Quite the challenge (build it, ship it, assemble it, fly it).

Based on what I saw at FFWest last year, you got the skills - Best of Luck!

DamoRC