P-82 Twin Mustang Build Log for Flite Fest Ohio

Liam B

It has been brought to my attention that my comment may be taken as rather hostile... I assure you it is not. And as proof of my giant airplane hand tossing skills I present you with proof:

Hehe I remember that episode! I don’t doubt your hand tossing skills, but landing gear might look better?

Liam B

@ELEV8 RC - Wow! Quite the challenge (build it, ship it, assemble it, fly it).

Based on what I saw at FFWest last year, you got the skills - Best of Luck!

DamoRC

Haha, thanks Damo! Yeah it’s really ambitious but totally possible if I put in the time.

I’m just worried about how long it will take to ship. I’m probably going to shop it to NeffBros RV so I can have it with me on the ride to FF.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It has been brought to my attention that my comment may be taken as rather hostile... I assure you it is not. And as proof of my giant airplane hand tossing skills I present you with proof:

Yeah, but that was 4 years ago...

Just kidding, all in all it's up to @ELEV8 RC to choose how it's gets airborne:)

Liam B

All the paper has been cut! I only did one wing because you really only need one :ROFLMAO:, cause you can reverse it once it’s on poserboard.

Now it’s off to HomeDepot to get posterboard and Super77!

654CC425-CB6B-4062-B495-9D1D752F63B0.jpeg

Liam B

Got my Super77 and poster board and I’m ready to start working on gluing them all down :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We can always quick build a trebuchet and lunch it like this brothers new method called the string wing hehe

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just make all the cuts so that they are 3/16 in. thick. that's what I did when I made my 70% FT Flyer and it worked great!

Liam B

Just make all the cuts so that they are 3/16 in. thick. that's what I did when I made my 70% FT Flyer and it worked great!

So just scale the cuts down? Maybe by trimming them manually or just shrinking them by filling them in on the paper?

Liam B

So, after hitting the cardstock hard for the last few days, I’ve produced all the templates and I got my first wing done!

E4673ACE-7E04-44AE-84F1-7729154543BD.jpeg

799BB9A1-DE67-4186-A2DD-96B3415ADBEE.jpeg

Liam B

Both of the wings are complete! Not bad for being only three days in to the project if I do say so myself!

Now on to the interesting part: the fuselages!

FDD3A0F9-A238-4C92-B756-BACD1C15057D.jpeg

This photo shows where I’ll most likely put the spar. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make the wings have dihedral AND be able to slot in and out into pieces. We’ll see, I guess!

44EBB674-B185-44DB-8188-7B7D45DC962C.jpeg

Liam B

I built this little jig to allow the spar to have dihedral but still be straight for the center wing!

F987EF84-C5EE-4AB8-AB5F-E992E40364EF.jpeg

Liam B

I just realized how low on foam sheets I am. I have two left, so I’m going to build the center wing and the fuselages will be made out of normal DTFB, as well as the tail.

EDIT: I had enough after all :)

The elevator will be the only DTFB piece.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow - you are motoring through this! Like the dihedral doohickey.

We can always quick build a trebuchet and lunch it like this brothers new method called the string wing hehe

Okay - if I understand this correctly, Psyborg has volunteered to build a trebuchet - Subscribed! ;)

DamoRC