• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The new build so far....

#1
Started building a new Quad, just waiting on the USB ASP so as I can reflash the board to X-copter configuration (pay attention to hobbyking website location next time I order....LOL... HK instead of UK.... DOH!)

arms are 15mm basswood with 2 x 50mm end pieces glued and then drilled and then I added 4mm wooden dowel with wood glue for extra strength, also added 1mm double sided foam to the top and then stuck on 3mm ply to give a solid base for the motors, which are held in place with 2.5mm zip ties, body is 3mm ply, I used M4 X 30 nylon plastic bolts/washers/wingnuts. and drilled 10mm holes to pass the ESC plugs through

used an old DVD tub as a protective housing, this was held in place by 2mm x 20mm bolts with nyloc nuts.

Orientation/navigational aids consist of green/red electrical insulating tape, and for the rear it is 4mm wooden dowel pushed through a piece of pool noodle (I drilled about 6mm into the side of the rear arms using a 4.5mm drill bit).

I implemented Rcexplorers battery and camera mount and glued a piece of non slip matting to keep the battery in place.

Total weight of the copter incl battery and motors (without props and prop mounts) is 950g ......lets hope this things flies... as I never ever managed to get my Tricopter build off the ground properly....
 

Attachments

Last edited:
#2
Have now fitted the HK KK board (flashed with KK 4.7 X-copter firmware), all appears to be firing up nice and evenly... will double check gyros and such, all that's left to do is to fit props and adapters and then it will be ready for it's maiden flight...

weight is just a tad over 1kg.....
 
#5
I decided to modify the spare booms (for when I need to swap out the broken ones..which will happen soon enough.. ;-) )

saved a few grams on each boom

2013-02-04 18.58.38.jpg 2013-02-04 18.49.18.jpg
 
#6
maiden flight today..... I need a great deal of practice....[video=vimeo;61183702]http://vimeo.com/61183702[/video]
 

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
#7
Looking good on the build Davyg.

But two things. Please, please do maiden's in an open area. That maiden had me cringing the entire video. It's like you're trying to learn how to walk on stilts over a bed of punji sticks.

Second, I would have strongly recommended you give up on that KK V3.0. With a buddy code the KK2 is like $24 including shipping, $32 not. I have the blue board and the KK2 is like night and day, plus flashed with 1.5, auto-level is a dream.

Either way, you've got my best wishes you get that flying soon. :cool:
 
#8
Looking good on the build Davyg.

But two things. Please, please do maiden's in an open area. That maiden had me cringing the entire video. It's like you're trying to learn how to walk on stilts over a bed of punji sticks.

Second, I would have strongly recommended you give up on that KK V3.0. With a buddy code the KK2 is like $24 including shipping, $32 not. I have the blue board and the KK2 is like night and day, plus flashed with 1.5, auto-level is a dream.

Either way, you've got my best wishes you get that flying soon. :cool:

Aye, I was just way to impatient to get the thing in the air after all the hassles I had trying to get appropriate prop adapters..

and I am using the KK 2.0 Board.... not the KK V3.0 ....:cool::cool:
 
#10
Oh ok, great. Thought I saw blue inside that plastic container.

Once you flash to 1.5, I think you'll be amazed.
It has been flashed with 1.5 FW .. and I am yet to be amazed....;);););) it's very uncontrollable so far (but that could be down to me being severe on the sticks)...
 

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
#11
I have all three, the 2.1 and the 3.0. Once I popped in the KK2, and then 1.5, it was like waking from a bad dream. Sure I could fly the ones with analog pots, but it was always somewhat of a pain.

I'm just glad those two cards were cheap and I only wasted a total of around $30. I kept them, but can't imagine using them again.
 
#13
I had given up on this project as the quad was just uncontrollable for me to fly safely..

However, I decided to give it one last bash... as per the norm the machine was uncontrollable.... I thought "feck it, enough is enough", and in a fit of throwing my toys outa the pram I there and then did a factory reset on the HK KK 2.0 Board, selected X Layout and never even used a bubble level to do the ACC test...... armed the board and took off... well.... the bloody thing flew like it has never flown before.....just need to fine tune the self level and get plenty of flight time in before I venture outside with it

[video=vimeo;77609968]http://vimeo.com/77609968[/video]
 

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Moderator
Mentor
#14
Congrats on a stable flight!

It's a shame that last bug didn't shake free until after the nice weather moved south for the winter, but at least your quad is flying away from the garbage heap, not toward it!
 
#16
I finally got my ass outdoors with the DIY quad, been over 2 years since I started the build..... just didn't have the confidence to actually fly it outside....(all kinds of horror scenarios playing in my head about the quad)..

Yes it flew.. yes it had a few crashes, yes I scared the crap out off a flock of sheep..:cool::cool:


the video and my lack of flying skills won't win any prizes....... but hey, I had a blast and came away from the field with a big grin on my face.... and I had to do a few running repairs to the quad.... but I was back out with it a few hours later...

just need practice,practice and eventually a decent fpv goggle system..:black_eyed::black_eyed:

My heartfelt thanks to all who have helped me with the build over the years.. :D:D

[video=vimeo;100782429]http://vimeo.com/100782429[/video]