THE NEW TUTOR!!! ?????????????

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
well, he certainly laughed appropriately, because the duster is a much more difficult plane to fly. if you go to the thread, only a few post videos of good experiences. and like many ft planes, you need speed to keep it aloft
Its my turn to disagree with you this time @bisco, I have not flown the Duster so can't really comment on that model or how it fly's. However, I have built and flown a few Flite Test planes now and some of those are great models and really easy to fly. I agree there are some that are not quite as forgiving.
Lets work through a few:
1) The scout - great model fly's slow or fast I have a Sunnysky in mine so it gives me the option. I built it to teach my son how to take off with a tail dragger, it doesn't disappoint either very docile easy to handle too.
2) Bushwacker - already been singing the praises of that plane earlier, excellent slow speed performance. With a little dihedral it makes a great trainer, easier than the Scout for take offs too.
3) Simple Spitfire - I was told its not an easy plane to fly, hog wash the Simple Spitfire is a pussy cat. I love warbirds but this one not only looks good, it flies really well and slow if you want it too. I have never quite got the landing gear design right, the take off's are fine. But landings are another matter not the planes fault, just can't get the wire stiffness correct. As a belly lander cant really fault it.
4) F22 - I thought it would be a nightmare, in fact its the opposite you can fly this slow too great plane and lots of fun. I have two of them the second has a Sunnysky 1250kv motor and can really rip along at full throttle.
5) Sportster - Looking at it you would expect it to be a nightmare being a 1930s-40s racer style plane. But with the right motor setup and prop combination its a lovely plane to fly, not the most forgiving but it can still be flown slowly.
6) FT Flyer - its so basic it has to be easy to fly, from a 500mAh 2s up to a 700mAh 3s it fly's really well and is great fun.
7) Tiny Trainer - not a lot I can say its a great plane 3ch or 4ch, just get the CG right and the control surfaces optimised and its one of the best planes around for beginners to learn with and intermediate flier to play with.

Planes I would avoid
FT Delta - my son built one and it has crashed more times than it's flown. I have personally had it flying on its last 2 flights and landed it without damage, but I've never liked it.
Versa Wing - initially I struggled to get the setup right and it was a hand full to say the least. However, once I finally got the setup right and got it trimmed its been a good plane to fly and has grown on me.
Old Fogey - LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL: Josh made it look so easy flying this plane and to be fair once you get the throws right and the throttle setting right, it is easy. But I had some hair raising first few flights, too much rudder authority can easily send it into a Dutch roll on turns. Once I finally got my throws right it was loads of fun and it fly's unbelievably slow. I didn't do the Josh trick of setting the transmitter down and let it fly in circles, but I did the same while holding the transmitter hands off.
Simple Cub (Tiny- scaled down version) - so many times I nearly threw that plane in the bin, it was a absolute pig to fly. I eventually got a good motor prop combination and with hand launches it became tolerable. Its still one of my least favorite planes.
Sea Otter - this is probably more down to my building of this particular model rather than the plane. However, I have had 3 shocking maidens so far and not in a rush to repair it a 4th time. It is one of those planes that definitely seems to perform better with a bit of speed.

Great planes but not for beginners
Edge 540 - You don't have to be into 3D to fly or love this plane, with low throw rates and throttle back its a lovely plane to cruise around the sky, not ideal for someone learning though.
Simple Stick (Hangers) - Similar to the above, its an amazing plane to fly with reduced throws with the throttle stick at just over half way. But swap the controls to mid rates and take that throttle to 3/4 and its a great aerobatic plane. Once again not an ideal beginners plane but something to aspire to.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Its my turn to disagree with you this time @bisco, I have not flown the Duster so can't really comment on that model or how it fly's. However, I have built and flown a few Flite Test planes now and some of those are great models and really easy to fly. I agree there are some that are not quite as forgiving.
Lets work through a few:
1) The scout - great model fly's slow or fast I have a Sunnysky in mine so it gives me the option. I built it to teach my son how to take off with a tail dragger, it doesn't disappoint either very docile easy to handle too.
2) Bushwacker - already been singing the praises of that plane earlier, excellent slow speed performance. With a little dihedral it makes a great trainer, easier than the Scout for take offs too.
3) Simple Spitfire - I was told its not an easy plane to fly, hog wash the Simple Spitfire is a pussy cat. I love warbirds but this one not only looks good, it flies really well and slow if you want it too. I have never quite got the landing gear design right, the take off's are fine. But landings are another matter not the planes fault, just can't get the wire stiffness correct. As a belly lander cant really fault it.
4) F22 - I thought it would be a nightmare, in fact its the opposite you can fly this slow too great plane and lots of fun. I have two of them the second has a Sunnysky 1250kv motor and can really rip along at full throttle.
5) Sportster - Looking at it you would expect it to be a nightmare being a 1930s-40s racer style plane. But with the right motor setup and prop combination its a lovely plane to fly, not the most forgiving but it can still be flown slowly.
6) FT Flyer - its so basic it has to be easy to fly, from a 500mAh 2s up to a 700mAh 3s it fly's really well and is great fun.
7) Tiny Trainer - not a lot I can say its a great plane 3ch or 4ch, just get the CG right and the control surfaces optimised and its one of the best planes around for beginners to learn with and intermediate flier to play with.

Planes I would avoid
FT Delta - my son built one and it has crashed more times than it's flown. I have personally had it flying on its last 2 flights and landed it without damage, but I've never liked it.
Versa Wing - initially I struggled to get the setup right and it was a hand full to say the least. However, once I finally got the setup right and got it trimmed its been a good plane to fly and has grown on me.
Old Fogey - LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL: Josh made it look so easy flying this plane and to be fair once you get the throws right and the throttle setting right, it is easy. But I had some hair raising first few flights, too much rudder authority can easily send it into a Dutch roll on turns. Once I finally got my throws right it was loads of fun and it fly's unbelievably slow. I didn't do the Josh trick of setting the transmitter down and let it fly in circles, but I did the same while holding the transmitter hands off.
Simple Cub (Tiny- scaled down version) - so many times I nearly threw that plane in the bin, it was a absolute pig to fly. I eventually got a good motor prop combination and with hand launches it became tolerable. Its still one of my least favorite planes.
Sea Otter - this is probably more down to my building of this particular model rather than the plane. However, I have had 3 shocking maidens so far and not in a rush to repair it a 4th time. It is one of those planes that definitely seems to perform better with a bit of speed.

Great planes but not for beginners
Edge 540 - You don't have to be into 3D to fly or love this plane, with low throw rates and throttle back its a lovely plane to cruise around the sky, not ideal for someone learning though.
Simple Stick (Hangers) - Similar to the above, its an amazing plane to fly with reduced throws with the throttle stick at just over half way. But swap the controls to mid rates and take that throttle to 3/4 and its a great aerobatic plane. Once again not an ideal beginners plane but something to aspire to.
You continue to ignore the DR1. Unforgivable (shakes his head and walks away)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sorry @Mr NCT no offence meant I know how much you love them, but I struggle with small planes that's why I have avoided the mighty mini series.
I can't see the damn things and its too easy to lose orientation and crash them. The Tiny Trainer is the smallest I fly these days and even that size of model is becoming a problem lately.

bisco

Elite member
i guess i have built the wrong models. i always choose by looks. but i don't find simple cub any more difficult than the 4ch tiny trainer.but neither fly slow like a umx turbo timber, slow motion but still great in the wind.
as good a pilot as you are, i have to think something was wrong with your cub.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yep the design of the Cub was wrong from the start, it needs longer wings ;) with a touch more under-camber.
The extra torque from my motor, probably doesn't help the take off's but I can deal with that using some rudder.

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah, the Simple Scout was my first Flite Test build, and it's still a great flying airplane. I've said many times already, when it either crashes or just plain wears out, I'm building another.

The Storch is a fairly docile and simple flying plane for me as well. I can't imagine needing to install either the flaps or the slats. It takes off and lands so slow anyway. Last week, I 3D printed a steerable tail wheel mount for it, which made for nicer ground handling.

The Tiny Trainer with the sport wing is another just all-around solid flying plane. She'll handle basic aerobatics just fine, while also being good for just relaxing with pattern flying.

The Versawing was the biggest surprise for me, as I'd never flown a wing before that. One I got my launches dialed in, I found her a fun flying model, and she looks good in the sky.

With the Bushwacker, I had to put some weight into the nose to get a good CG on her. With that, though, she's also a solid flying design, and great for either doing some stunts, or just puttering around the pattern.

To be honest, I'm very tempted to get the Tutor and the float kit, and paint it up in Dodo Airlines livery from the Animal Crossing New Horizons game. It may not be a perfect match for the DAL plane in game, but I think it would look close enough with the paint job, to just be fun.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I had the same situation with the Bushwacker, needing additional nose weight. Saying that most of my FT builds need the extra weight in the nose to balance out at the CG mark. This is due to the heavier density of the foamboard I use, which produces more tail weight in the finished model.

Hoomi

Master member
Mine was built from the SBK, so the maker foam that Flite Test uses. I still found that I needed to push the battery way forward to come close to a workable CG, until I glued some weights in the nose. Still a fun airplane to build and fly.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have 3 favorite FT builds and the Bushwacker is definitely one of them.
20201225_034029.jpg

Spitfire76

IMG_2997.JPG
My attempt at a scratch build of the Tutor. Only flown it a couple of times but was nervous to get out of Aura's level assist mode so can't really say that I have flown it. I like that the battery goes in from the top and those extra doublers make for a stronger fuselage. Would like to add the floats as I've never flown off of water.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
View attachment 212770
My attempt at a scratch build of the Tutor. Only flown it a couple of times but was nervous to get out of Aura's level assist mode so can't really say that I have flown it. I like that the battery goes in from the top and those extra doublers make for a stronger fuselage. Would like to add the floats as I've never off of water.
Great knife edge by the way :LOL:

Spitfire76

It's good nature.
If you mean is it a gentle flyer the answer is yes. I flew it yesterday and it does fly slowly but not as slow as the FT Storch which was my first FT plane and trainer. I had installed an Aura 5 Lite but had no problem flying with the level assist switched off.

Bigeard

I have just watched the you tube video on the Tutor, it looks really good. The trainer would be an ideal option for my Grandson :) seriously tempted to buy one. I will check out how much its selling for first, here in the UK.
Hello Flying Brit , just wondering did you / have you managed to get the Tutor for your Grandson and if so have you built it or indeed flown it , any info ?
Thanks

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Hello Flying Brit , just wondering did you / have you managed to get the Tutor for your Grandson and if so have you built it or indeed flown it , any info ?
Thanks
I can't afford the price of FT kits. Unfortunately postage is extortionate to the UK, so going to buy a Volantex Epoch for him instead.