THE NEW TUTOR!!! ?????????????

bisco

Elite member
Not a problem my friend. I came across this a little while back

View attachment 211768
Looks pretty interesting and is very well explained in pictures, believe it was made from depron but could easily be made from FB. Here are the plans to look over or if anybody is interested they are welcome to give it a go. looks like it could be a rugged little easy flier.
it does look good. i haven't tried curving foam yet, but you have to start somewhere.

Byrdman

i think i will add a bit of dihedral. i'm not into aerobatics much, and my flat winged bushetrottel tends to waggle because of my nervous thumbs.

IMO, you might as well build 2 wings at the same time. One with dihedral and the regular one. Even without dihedral, that plane is very forgiving on low throws.

bisco

Elite member
Don't be put off by the flite test video either where they are doing tricks and STOL. The plane makes a great basic trainer for someone just starting off, or as an intermediate model for doing aerobatics etc Prior to a nasty Spektrum receiver killing mine, it was one of my best FT model planes in my collection ( FRsky in the next one).
I like it that much I can't decide between buying a Durafly Tundra or just building another Bushwacker.
Fairly straight forward build too ;)(y)
i have eyeballed the dt as well, but it won't fit in my car. very nice model.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Low throws and 40% expo you will be fine, as I said its very forgiving and easy to fly. I used a C pack motor in mine originally the Emax GT2215-09 1180kv. But then I upgraded to a Volantex 4023 1050kv that I had knocking about and that gave it a little more oomph.

1637016054161.png
1637016015932.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
With ailerons and flaps I opted for a 40amp ESC with 5amp BEC, but you will probably get away with a 3amp BEC it depends how you fly.

SSgt Duramax

I havent figured out the recent fixation on the tutor. It looks cool but as stated above there are tons of very very similar planes. I think we need to get someone to get all the high winger FT planes together (like the cub, storch, bushwhacker, and tutor) and have a shootout or comparison.

Dont get me wrong, the FT crew did a heck of a job promoting it, but I think it is more "i want what i cant have" more so than lack of viable planes to build.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Well said sir.
The Tutor is a nice enough looking plane as you said and looks very capable too. If there where free plans available would I build one :unsure: no probably not.
There are already plenty of similar high wing trainer style planes out there to choose from, both Foamboard and ARTF foam.

From my perspective its just another plane, similar to the Storch, Cub, Bushwacker and the other one of which the name eludes me at present :unsure: ah yes the Legacy or was it the Founders plane.
From my point of view there are plenty of plans available for equally capable planes like: The Bushwacker, The Scout and The Storch so the Tutor doesn't really make me want to jump up and down with excitement.

They may have put a lot of work into the Tutor and promoting it. However, for me the name Flite Test these days only conjures up visions of a group of people building over sized models, then destroying them for fun, which I personally find disheartening sad and a little self indulgent.

I even tried watching a John Overstreet build video last night and very nearly fell asleep :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: times. I had to turn it off in the end :eek::rolleyes: what a boring presentation. It was more entertaining watching the varnish dry on my Sea Otter LOL :LOL:.

Ah I miss the old days and the old Flite Test :cry: I never nodded off watching Josh.

Enough said I will have the Flite Test hit squad on my back again trying to get me banned ;)(y)

SSgt Duramax

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Be careful with the Banggood models they are not always packaged as well as they should be and the models/part have been known to arrive damaged.
Read the reviews first before making a decision.
Saying that I got may Volantex Trainstar Ascent and my Phoenix 2 meter V2 glider from them and apart from a few minor dents in the packaging everything arrived perfectly intact. These where ARTF models, the balsa kits I have heard don't do as well in transit.

I would love that Piper Cub myself and have looked at it a few times on the Banggood site, but I always find something else to buy instead.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have been tempted by the Volantex Epoch, its been selling quite cheap in the past.

I have the bigger Trainstar and its a great plane to fly, but fancy the smaller version for taking away on holiday with me.

Marzipan

@bisco if you have a small field to fly in, take a look at the planes from Minimum RC...all UMX and available as ARF or RTF and off AliE, the highest price is about $60 USD. with the 11.11, the most expensive RTF was $58 CAD. I was awfully tempted, but the XK A600 DHC-2 Beaver won out as it's one of my fav planes. :D

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Looking at £127 ($170) for the plug and play version at the moment. It varies during the year depending when they have a sale or its on offer.

Byrdman

I've been perusing some of the PNP planes on banggood and other places. I can't convince myself to take the plunge on them for the price. If you want something truly backyard friendly, I have been eyeing building one of these...

https://www.nerdnic.com/manic-micro-nntiger-moth.html

I think @nerdnic was a contributing member here a while ago. I have seen his name a lot on some old threads, but none recently. Someone that has been around longer may have more info.

Byrdman

Well said sir.
The Tutor is a nice enough looking plane as you said and looks very capable too. If there where free plans available would I build one :unsure: no probably not.
There are already plenty of similar high wing trainer style planes out there to choose from, both Foamboard and ARTF foam.

From my perspective its just another plane, similar to the Storch, Cub, Bushwacker and the other one of which the name eludes me at present :unsure: ah yes the Legacy or was it the Founders plane.
From my point of view there are plenty of plans available for equally capable planes like: The Bushwacker, The Scout and The Storch so the Tutor doesn't really make me want to jump up and down with excitement.

They may have put a lot of work into the Tutor and promoting it. However, for me the name Flite Test these days only conjures up visions of a group of people building over sized models, then destroying them for fun, which I personally find disheartening sad and a little self indulgent.

I even tried watching a John Overstreet build video last night and very nearly fell asleep :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: times. I had to turn it off in the end :eek::rolleyes: what a boring presentation. It was more entertaining watching the varnish dry on my Sea Otter LOL :LOL:.

Ah I miss the old days and the old Flite Test :cry: I never nodded off watching Josh.

Enough said I will have the Flite Test hit squad on my back again trying to get me banned ;)(y)

I agree. It looks like a very nice plane, but let's call it for what it is, a high wing trainer. When everyone was going crazy over the announcement that free plans would not be released, people were losing their minds over it.

I even made a post to see if there was any interest of our community of scratch builders making our own high wing trainer and releasing plans as a resource since the Tutor would not be released like the other's. Needless to say, that didn't go over well with some...