The OSRC Project

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

It's not a transmitter and it's not a receiver, it's an open source remote control system!

osrc - 6.jpg osrc - 7.jpg

Chad and Josh had a chance to talk to the creator of the OSRC and he shares more details about the project and the backstory of the Open Source Remote Control (OSRC).

osrc - 5.jpg

The OSRC project was created by Demetris Zavorotnitsienko and his radio control system is comprised of many modules and additions. It can be as simple and affordable as a basic control system or a UAV ground station, based on what setup one chooses to have.

osrc - 3.jpg osrc - 4.jpg

Among the modules are the FPVC, which can be just additional buttons, FPV Receiver or a complete Linux based embedded device with GSM, GPS, Touch Screen and other additions. Some parts are simple micro controller based, others are 1GHz processor based with Linux functionality.

osrc - 8.jpg osrc - 10.jpg osrc - 9.jpg

Futaba, HiTEC, Spektrum and other modules can be used on this Radio Control. As long as the feed can receive PPM reception to can attach it to this system.

osrc - 2.jpg

There are much more unique features to this radio control which are described in much greater detail at the OSRC website! We encourage you to check out the site and learn more about the progress of the OSRC project!

osrc - 11.jpg

Demetris' next step to push the OSRC project forward is an indiegogo campaign to raise funds for building a custom SLA 3D printer which will be made available to contributors of the campaign but the project needs contributors to make it a reality! Check it out HERE and see if it's something you'd want to help with.​

A newer version of the OSRC is currently being finalized. Demetris is building it through the 3D printer method and it should give lots of advantages in its operation with many materials and colors to choose from as well as shorten delivery times for the final product.

osrc - 1.jpg

More details are available at the OSRC website and other links below:

OSRC Website
http://www.os-rc.com

OSRC Blog
http://www.os-rc.com/osrcblog/entry/osrc-development-manufacturing#comment-5

indiegogo Campaign - "SLA 3D Printer"
http://www.indiegogo.com/ilios-hd-3d-printer

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
FANTASTIC! This product is a TOTAL game changer. The rest of the world of RC had better look out.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

G A M E C H A N G E R

This guy is definitely a visionary! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Let's take bets on which company buys him out first.... (and subsequently screws it up)

I say its Hobby King. Sure, they're not a manufacturer per se, but they do seem to be ahead of other companies in terms of features at an affordable price.

Hope it stays out of the evil clutches of JR, Futaba and Spektrum.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
My bet is on Horizon... They spend lots of money on sponsorship of pro-fliers and I reckon the autonomous sticks teaching you how to fly like a pro would fit their image.

He'd have to make it a million times more complex to suit Futaba, or be ultra-cheap and contain a fatal flaw to be HK (for those of you who have bought a 9XR, check out the cracks in the plastics from bad molding (just for the record, I'm a massive HK fan, but every new product has at least one major flaw from being released too quickly without proper testing)).

A very very cool product full of great ideas. So, do you reckon it'd run Mission Planner for APM?

earthsciteach

If Horizon gets it, I'll never be able to afford it.

How in the hell can something like bad molding happen? Its not as though molding is a new technology. Beyond that, how in the hell does that get through even the most ridiculously pathetic quality control? Can we throw virtual rocks at Anthony Hand for this?

Anthony Hand - If you receive a shipment of poorly molded transmitter cases, please have a person on the floor that will ship them back to the manufacturer and either demand replacements or find another supplier. Is your company really so daft as to simply sell items of this poor quality?

Oh, what was I thinking? My Turnigy 9x is taped together because the screws have fallen out of the plastic casing. Weak, Anthony Hand, weak.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks to my children I've seen many cheap molded plastic toys and crap, and I've never seen any with the molding faults that people have posted of their 9XR. I wonder if the delay in release was due to molding issues and they ended up with the 'near enough is good enough' approach...

On your 9x, try heating up the screw a little, then put a little hot glue in the corresponding holes and screw away. The hot glue should set in the correct pattern and stick to the plastic too.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Teach, in all fairness so is my XP 8103, Which has similar features, at a price tag of 12 times as much if I am told correctly.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If Horizon gets it, I'll never be able to afford it.

How in the hell can something like bad molding happen? Its not as though molding is a new technology. Beyond that, how in the hell does that get through even the most ridiculously pathetic quality control? Can we throw virtual rocks at Anthony Hand for this?

Anthony Hand - If you receive a shipment of poorly molded transmitter cases, please have a person on the floor that will ship them back to the manufacturer and either demand replacements or find another supplier. Is your company really so daft as to simply sell items of this poor quality?

Oh, what was I thinking? My Turnigy 9x is taped together because the screws have fallen out of the plastic casing. Weak, Anthony Hand, weak.

I am not sure I could afford it anyway. 1100 euro's is no chump change but it is quite a system! I suspect an big name company would get $4K or $5K for it if not more.

My 9X has the hot glue screw hole trick applied. :(

Thurmond