The P47 of MiniacRC

erad05

Thanks to MiniacRC who shared his plans with the community and posted the build video, I built a mini P47 Thunderbolt in the molding style.
The maiden flight was naked and succesful although the Wings weren't level. I had to trim to left aileron to fly straight.
No with Paintjob done, not perfect, but still nice, I want to go flying this afternoon, to see if performance ist better after I leveled out the main wings.
A chalenging build and I made some mistakes but sitll a really awsome plane.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpg
    IMG_3239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

erad05

I want to thank you all for the postive feedback.
The plane flyes just amazing. Even going slow, I haven't seen any bad tendencies like tip stalls.
Maybe I have a little bit to much nose weight... I allow to guess, that the CG for safety reasons is a little bit forward in the plans
Pics after the flight with adjusted wings. Was a little tricky to get the glue off....

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Samh

Elite member
I built one has well, and once i got it trimmed out, it flew amazing. Mine also had some problems when building. I am flying mine on a turnigy 2836-8 motor on a 6045 prop. It is very big motor, but it was to counteract the tail heaviness. On the maiden, i was trying to turn on to final and entered a highspeed stall and went straight into the ground. There was a legit crater, but the only damge, was the cowling came unglued at the seams, and the wing joint came unglued. If you have 1/8" ply, i would highly recommend that slight upgrade. A little bit of hot glue and fibre tape later, she was ready for her second flight last night. It flew amazing. The bit of fibre tape on the underside of the fuse definitely help the durability of it. Mine either, A, glides for ever, or B, carries its weight very well. I highly recommend this plane, and doing the fibre tape and ply spar upgrade makes it very fun. Also a side note, on high rates with alsmost 45 degrees of aileron, it barely is able to a roll.:)

MiniacRC

@erad05 thanks for the review man! Should I move the CG recommendation back a bit? Your thunderbolt looks so sweet!

@Samh that's awesome to hear man! I noticed mine glides a little too much as well. That's a HUGE motor you got there! And I'd love to see your build 😍

Samh

Elite member
I would also recommend a v2 of the plans that have a better fuse halve joiner system. After 2 emergency landings, where the fuse halves join, broke, and the back half fell off.

OliverW

Legendary member
I would also recommend a v2 of the plans that have a better fuse halve joiner system. After 2 emergency landings, where the fuse halves join, broke, and the back half fell off.
I was there, that is called lawn-darting from 100 feet up! If anything it show how strong the design is!

richb2599

I built this mini p47 and it flew great. At least until I got a little crazy with it and crashed. But I decided to scale up the next one a little. I went with 120%. Not that much bigger but enough for this go around. 30" Wingspan. It flies just as nice as the original! I'm using a Turnigy Air 2210A 1650kv, 180W motor with a 7x6 prop. Has more than enough power and speed at half throttle. I did replace the power pod with a 3D printed motor mount. I added some stipes to make it easier to see.
Oricinal and 120%.jpg
Scaled up 120%.jpg
Scaled up Razor Back.jpg
IMG_0311[1738].jpg

Last edited:

MiniacRC

@richb2599 what an awesome build man! The little bubbletop is great and the bigger razorback is also amazing! Seriously killer paint job too!
Glad it flew well for you. How did you do the scaling so well? Did you have to adjust cavity thicknesses and stuff?

richb2599

@richb2599 what an awesome build man! The little bubbletop is great and the bigger razorback is also amazing! Seriously killer paint job too!
Glad it flew well for you. How did you do the scaling so well? Did you have to adjust cavity thicknesses and stuff?

Thanks. You did a great job on the design. For the most part I just had to reduce the width of the notches slightly. I was amazed how nicely it flew though the controls were a bit sensitive till I dialed her back a bit.

richb2599

That's awesome to hear. Showed the beta builders your build and they loved it.
To

Flew it again today. Just amazed how easy it is to hand launch and fly. Much easier than some store bought belly landers and it is fast! Thinking i might build another for an fpv camera. Thanks again for a great design.

MiniacRC

Thank you for the great rendition. The build looks better and better everytime i see it, would love footage if you can get any! :) :) :)

erad05

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure, but I thi k it's 1 cm more back. When I balanced it on your cg I had to give trim more elevator to fly level. So I moved the 1000mah 3s back.

@erad05 thanks for the review man! Should I move the CG recommendation back a bit? Your thunderbolt looks so sweet!

@Samh that's awesome to hear man! I noticed mine glides a little too much as well. That's a HUGE motor you got there! And I'd love to see your build 😍

Mile Hy warbirdz

Thank you MiniacRC for the great plans! I have built two so far using the molded foamboard method I also used the plans to make a few hybrid dtfb and pink foam planes which fly great as well I like the sport wing design I took it a step further and reconfigured the template into a speed wing with the servos coming out of the top of the wing . Any chance you would design a f8f Bearcat minisize in the future? Love what you are doing thanks!
p 47 .jpg p 47 5.jpg p 47 6.jpg p 47 7.jpg

mach1 rc

Master member
Thank you MiniacRC for the great plans! I have built two so far using the molded foamboard method I also used the plans to make a few hybrid dtfb and pink foam planes which fly great as well I like the sport wing design I took it a step further and reconfigured the template into a speed wing with the servos coming out of the top of the wing . Any chance you would design a f8f Bearcat minisize in the future? Love what you are doing thanks!
View attachment 154106 View attachment 154107 View attachment 154108 View attachment 154110
That thing looks sweet 👍👍