The Props Aren't Always The Only Sharp Things That Spin

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Check out this video from Tested. Jamie Hyneman attaches a circular saw to his quadcopter to do some landscaping...or is he preparing for the zombie apocalypse?
It's one use for a multirotor that is unique because it does not involve a camera or cargo transport.

jipp

i think, there are better ways to achieve this :D

but who knows as i think he is into robot wars, maybe quad wars will be the next big thing in robotics.
chris.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As much as I respect both Adam and Jamie from their extensive builds and experiments, they occasionally surprise me with obvious hair-brained contraptions.

As well as they both understand physics and engineering, Jamie still completely missed the fact a rotating cutting blade needs either plenty of inertial mass, or mounted resistance to cut pretty much anything beyond gel or light foam. I strongly suspect even mounting the blade rigid to the MR would only provide marginally better cutting, and that is IF he can maintain control.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, now that hanging beast has some mass. I would be curious whether or not all the blades spin the same direction. Three choices. All rotating 'down. All rotating 'up'. Or every other rotating different. Each, I would assume, has its own issues and precautions.

jipp

yeah that has a lot of mass ( 900lbs ) and 10 26" blades. impressive pilot.. hope they paid him a good bonus. so many things could go wrong in a flash with that setup.

some better footage.
chris.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Haha good find Balu. I don't think Jamie's intentions are that devious. Also the rocket at the 4:10 mark is an Estes model rocket; I have the exact same one at home.