The refurbishment of a Seagull Swift 40

kilroy07

Legendary member
Do not forget to cut the covering away before gluing it in place
Could you elaborate on that (for those of us (me) who might not be entirely sure of your meaning.... (i’ve Played with covering... once, but it was on foamboard.)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Could you elaborate on that (for those of us (me) who might not be entirely sure of your meaning.... (i’ve Played with covering... once, but it was on foamboard.)

For pieces like the stabilizers that get covered first, and then glued onto the fuselage make certain you are gluing balsa to balsa! Cut away the covering in the spot where the pieces will touch, cause gluing onto covering seems OK in the workshop, but it inevitably fails in the air :p

kilroy07

Legendary member
For pieces like the stabilizers that get covered first, and then glued onto the fuselage make certain you are gluing balsa to balsa! Cut away the covering in the spot where the pieces will touch, cause gluing onto covering seems OK in the workshop, but it inevitably fails in the air :p
Ah, makes perfect sense now! (Duh)..

Thanks!! 👍👍

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
No more to stick together as I've broken it down to units that will be bolted together. The previous owner had heavily epoxyed the tail feathers to the tail and I've taken the trouble to freeing up all that and cleaning it up.

mayan

Legendary member
Quick question about covering why would you use it on FB when FB can easily be painted on? Makes sense with balsa builds where they can act as part of the wing airfoil for example.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Quick question about covering why would you use it on FB when FB can easily be painted on? Makes sense with balsa builds where they can act as part of the wing airfoil for example.
I would use it on EPP foam planes maybe to make it smoother, but would not be bothered covering foamboard.

daxian

Elite member
in my case it was laziness...have a problem with paint fumes (bad chest) so normally use wing tape for most of my builds !!
i had the covering film left over from my balsa days ,so gave it a try !!

mayan

Legendary member
in my case it was laziness...have a problem with paint fumes (bad chest) so normally use wing tape for most of my builds !!
i had the covering film left over from my balsa days ,so gave it a try !!
That’s also a good reason. Tried using a mask when painting?

daxian

Elite member
@ mayan ...indeed i have ,it helped a lot !! ...till my glasses steamed up so much that i could not see the plane...LOL !
now i do a little at a time ,so i can finish the job well ...
now i use the covering very little ,paint very little ,just enough to aid orientation /visability and if i need parts to be more sturdy i use laminating film !!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The 60Amp ESC and servos for the wings have arrived along with a DSMX receiver with satellite.
Now working on the lite-ply supports to mount them on the wings. Once that's sorted I can move on to covering proper.
This should not take too long to get back into the air 😁

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
No way. You can’t leave us on small fire for a couple of weeks ain’t letting that happen. I’ll be biting my nails till then and probably be left with no nails at all by then :).
I'll post some pictures of the mounting of the servos and progress on covering. These servos are massive compared to the ones we use in the typical FliteTest style planes :)
The 60Amp ESC has a 5Amp BEC - that should be ample.