The Rubber Chicken - An Exotic Filaments Test Bed

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
gt3R10k.jpg

The noble Rubber Chicken soars high above the plains of the Serengeti, keen eyes kept wide in search of his next meal. Perhaps a wildebeest, or young hippopotamus will tide him over until lunch....

:D

The Rubber Chicken v20-5.png The Rubber Chicken v20-6.png The Rubber Chicken v25.png The Rubber Chicken v25-3.png The Rubber Chicken v25-4.png The Rubber Chicken v33.png

Ok, ok. Lets get serious, or as serious as you can get with that head on an airplane. :) This craft was designed to test some alternate construction methods, as well as be the perfect test bed for more exotic filaments. I intend to make as much of this craft printable from flexible materials as possible, hence the rubber chicken theme. It will also be perfect for nylons, or other filament types that don't take glue well.

I'll be posting STL's once I maiden and make sure everything works the way I want it to.

The internal structures have been optimized for print-ability rather than maximum weight savings like on the Northern Pike. Overhangs are minimized, lightening holes are placed so that materials with retraction issues can't as easily make a mess, and the plane is primarily held together with 3mm nuts/screws and 8mm carbon arrows or tubes. ABS, ASA, polycarbonate, TPU, PETG, PLA, Nylon, or carbon impregnated filament should all work as base materials for this plane.

Quick Specs:

Wingspan: 37.6 in. 955 mm
Wing Area: 305.2 sq. in.
Wing Loading (est): 15.79 oz. / sq. ft
Wing Cubic Loading (est): 10.8

Needs 600ish grams of filament. I'll get a more accurate weight when I finish tweaking things.

Recommended Electronics are the same as the Pike.

2306 2300kv
5-6" Prop
2x 9g Metal Gear Servos
1300-2200 mah 3s-4s. A 2200mah 4s battery is probably the biggest battery you could possibly fit in the fuse as drawn.

PETG Prototype:

qPUZ5Ff.jpg

E0S8aTi.jpg

Pretty much every part just slots together, and should hold without glue. Only thing that will need adhesive or tape is the tail, and control surfaces. You will easily be able to replace broken parts, or even change things out. I'll probably need a bigger tail than what I've got now, but am hoping for some wing waggle for the maiden just to up the goofy factor. :D

GK07EB4.jpg

Fuse and Battery Hatch:

f4LqnXa.jpg

Here you can see the 3mm screws. 3mm nuts slide right into a 8mm OD 6mm ID carbon tube or arrow. I suppose you might be able to get away with using a different screw type and skip the nuts all together. Another option would be to print some short 8mm cylinders to use as pins instead of carbon fiber if you're using stiff enough plastic.

X1hjGqZ.jpg

With the carbon tube going all the way through the wing, I figured beefing up the wingtips in one spot might make it strong enough for people to do wingtip launches if that's your thing.
Mo4MgQ4.jpg

Keno

Love your Rubber Chicken and other designs, great work. This is mine its a simple adaption of a Mini Arrow. It is taxied by its large rudder but its not good at low speeds. As Arrows do it flies great.

Attachments

• DSC00157.jpg
    DSC00157.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I want this over the pike... It would be hilarious to fly it at bigger parks and have horrified people watch!

Heh, yep. Especially if I can squeeze a sound system into it. Might have to make more room on the fuselage. A parachute, or jetpack on the chickens back would give more room and fit the theme lol.

Love your Rubber Chicken and other designs, great work. This is mine its a simple adaption of a Mini Arrow. It is taxied by its large rudder but its not good at low speeds. As Arrows do it flies great.

That's pretty sweet. How's the rudder perform in the air?

Keno

Heh, yep. Especially if I can squeeze a sound system into it. Might have to make more room on the fuselage. A parachute, or jetpack on the chickens back would give more room and fit the theme lol.

That's pretty sweet. How's the rudder perform in the air?[/QUOTE:
Strange things happen.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm aghast.
and I stand up and applaud!

So a modified 'cuda then? Can't wait to see the flight video and about how it handles.

kilroy07

Legendary member
:ROFLMAO: When I fist saw this I thought I had missed a post from last April's 1st!!

Then I saw the prototype and am at once intrigued and horrified!
(y):eek:

Are you going/bringing this to FF? I'd love to see it in the air!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Strange things happen.

Haha, thought that might be the case.

I'm aghast.
and I stand up and applaud!

So a modified 'cuda then? Can't wait to see the flight video and about how it handles.

More like the FT Goblin, or Strix Goblin if you want to trace it back that far. Just a simple plank wing, ratio's of chord and length are just closest to the Flite Test variant.

This here was more like the Cuda.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ed-cuda-clone-it-flies-stls-are-posted.54579/

:ROFLMAO: When I fist saw this I thought I had missed a post from last April's 1st!!

Then I saw the prototype and am at once intrigued and horrified!
(y):eek:

Are you going/bringing this to FF? I'd love to see it in the air!

Yeah, I plan to bring one or two with me assuming the maiden goes well.

TaleSpin

How did the maiden go? Any chance you will be sharing the files? I’ve been drooling over this work comedic of art. I must print, build, and fly this haha. Cant wait to see onlookers at the field awed by this thing o_O