The SE.5 Flies Again

dylanbeaudette

We recently “finished” a FT SE.5 model with paint a new motor. Flew great although was a tad tail heavy with a 3s 1300mah battery.
431F7B9B-9523-4290-BF4B-201ACA1FC197.jpeg

Until, I wrecked it and sheared off the top wing. An ace pilot friend flew it with just the lower wing, and it was a rocket! Just enough lift to run a full throttle. Not something my son and I could fly though..

82134CEE-B0F8-4B9D-B1BC-C6FA7BA71393.jpeg

The top wing supports were shredded, so we went for a drastic redesign. It didn’t fly great in the wind, but well enough that we kept it in the air long enough to use two full batteries!

FFC4B361-2407-4B5E-9C48-969AEC16A6CC.jpeg

Not pretty, but seems to work!

dylanbeaudette

This plane has been renamed "the beast". Whenever we are out flying with friends, this monstrosity is a fun topic of conversation. However, flying is a real chore that takes complete concentration. I suspect that moving the wings closer together has greatly affected the stability. We will keep flying her until it falls apart, and then put the parts into a new DR1.

Apart from a DR1, are there any other fun kits that use the motor from an F power pack? Would it make sense to use this motor on a TT?

luvmy40

Elite member
The Mini MS Corsair was a hoot to build and crash! It was the first MS style plane I built. (I have anothe SBK on the shelf to replace the first one) It's an F pack plane. The F pack would work with the Mini Scout as well.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Good job! You can probably try one of the slower, indoor flyers like the Mini Scout, Mini Speedster/ Sportster, the reborn FT Nutball or Flyer or even the new Mini Old Fogey. Some of these planes might be rocket ships on this motor setup, and I wish there were plans for the Mini Old Fogey. Another scratch build that you can try is to make a Slow Stick. It is a very simple airplane that is simple, easy to fly and customisable. They are commonly built with carbon fibre rods and the electronics are all zip-tied or velcroed to the rod. I have not personally flown one before but I've heard many good things about the style of aircraft. I don't have a picture of one but you can google itand see what I'm talking about. There is so much to be done with these common powerplants. Keep posting!