The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

basslord1124

Master member
@mayan ...sounds like you guys had an awesome time! Glad to see you gave the Storch a try too. Are you using the recommended motor on the Storch? Aside from the flaps, I also changed the motor out to a 920KV on the Storch and plan to probably add an 11" or 12" prop. I've been so focused on my other plane projects that I haven't gotten back to finish it up. No joke, I had the Storch hanging in mid air once with the stock motor. The wind picked up enough and I had the throttle so low, she was barely budging. It was the softest touch down ever lol. And glad you gave Charlie a go. I'm not sure why, but the Sparrow just never interested me.

mayan

Legendary member
Two days ago I took the Charlie out again tried to figure out if the ESC was now calibrated properly. Guess what I still didn’t feel like I was getting enough thrust, the plane didn’t just want to jump out of my hand like I am used to. So yesterday night I stayed up till 3am to figure it out and this is what I’ve come up with.

The ESC I fixed, got messed up again and won’t throttle up the motor at all. The motor is damaged and not preforming like it should, the copper coils have started becoming darker which proves that something there is not right. Where is this standing though?

Well I soldered up a new 20A ESC with small banana connectors and a attached a new F pack motor. After doing a test the plane suddenly wants to jump out of my hands again. So the next time I am at the field this plane will fly :).

This morning I’ve also fixed the landing gear on my Simple Storch, I re-enforced it with some thin piece of plywood. So now the next time I go to the field that too can come out again :).

D37FC6E9-AE12-45BA-9986-622E02F52AC4.jpeg

I also want to trash my old FT Edge 540 and build a new one after breaking the fuselage on one of the repairs I attempted to do. I also want to build a new mini edge but need to find patience to cut out the pieces, I already have the pieces for a FT Edge 540 cut out so only have to build it :).

I also want to try a twin motor plane with differential thrust setup using two A pack motors any recommendations?

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
[QUOTE="mayan, post: 479920, member: 40146"I also want to try a twin motor plane with differential thrust setup using two A pack motors any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

How about a mighty mini guinea?

mayan

Legendary member
I haven't built a mini guinea so I can't say anything about its flight characteristics, but I love the fact that it can carry a payload, and I am planning on building one myself once I have some crashed planes to recycle!
Thought about one of those but just can’t find room for it atm.

mayan

Legendary member
Tomorrow me and @Eddo radush are going out to the field again I might take me Simple Storch out for some practice before he arrives if I fix it and set it up with my Tx fast enough in the morning. Other than that I am taking Charlie and my friend TT out too :). I’ll try to borrow the GoPro for some videos but not stressing it this time.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Your Storch seemed like it was very tail heavy in your last video. Try moving the CG forward as much as you can, the Storch has a huge tail and a long fuselage, it can handle a ridiculous amount of nose weight.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday’s results at the field were devastating! The Simple Storch lost the firewall and motor, the Charlie needs a nose job and the TT has a hole in the upper side of the wing after I tried replacing a servo on it at the field. We don’t bitch, we don’t cry; we laugh and have fun. @Eddo radush’s TT also took a beating and needs to be rebuild but it’s all cool we got stuff we are working on.

Mean time I want to build myself a new FT Edge 540 as well as the TTT mod by @Arcfyre. I managed to convince my wife to buy some Rxs for my new Tx so really waiting for those to arrive. That way I can setup models on it and not have to waste time to program the plane I want to fly each time I want to fly it. Hope they arrive soon.

Can’t wait for tonight! I did a deal with my wife which was that I would help her with her hobby stuff yesterday and that she would help me tonight :). Tonight we will build the FT Edge 540 and maybe she will help paint it too :).

mayan

Legendary member
I owe you all pictures of the damage that the Charlie took, so here it is.
1E1B5050-109C-493F-9287-FE2334251B7D.jpeg

Ohhh did I mention that it’s already repaired?! I didn’t build the FT Edge 540 with my wife the other day and ended up doing this.

8B5A7799-8FD2-4F80-9FAC-7873471388C0.jpeg

A48E1B6D-7620-4C08-81E1-80D619FE1139.jpeg

I also cut out another set of wings and the glider nose for @Arcfyre’s TTT mod and already have a SpiTTT wings set built. Tomorrow I’ll go to the field for an hour to see if the swappable tail mod holds in flight.

More tomorrow...