The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
I went out to the field today and it was a bit windy and late so I decided to practice general flying instead of ground take offs and landings. I started by doing leveled high and low circuits at 50% throttle. Then I practiced doing rolls, when at full throttle the rolls were tight and clean when the throttle was lower at around 50% some up and down elevator was required to keep the plane from losing altitude and diving. Not sure that’s how it should be.

After that I practiced loops and those require you to nose dive throttle up and pull max down elevator until at the moment that you are at the top of the loop and then you should throttle down and level out. Didn’t spend much time doing that because I am having battery issues and didn’t want to go max throttle to much. I think the problem is actually my motor dying out and that effecting my battery buzzer making me think it’s the batteries when it isn’t.

Last I practiced inverted flying and this is where I need more practice but some assistance too. I can flip inverted and fly straight my problem starts when I want to turn. That’s when I find myself failing and end up diving inverted into the ground. How do you turn when inverted!?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I went out to the field today and it was a bit windy and late so I decided to practice general flying instead of ground take offs and landings. I started by doing leveled high and low circuits at 50% throttle. Then I practiced doing rolls, when at full throttle the rolls were tight and clean when the throttle was lower at around 50% some up and down elevator was required to keep the plane from losing altitude and diving. Not sure that’s how it should be.

After that I practiced loops and those require you to nose dive throttle up and pull max down elevator until at the moment that you are at the top of the loop and then you should throttle down and level out. Didn’t spend much time doing that because I am having battery issues and didn’t want to go max throttle to much. I think the problem is actually my motor dying out and that effecting my battery buzzer making me think it’s the batteries when it isn’t.

Last I practiced inverted flying and this is where I need more practice but some assistance too. I can flip inverted and fly straight my problem starts when I want to turn. That’s when I find myself failing and end up diving inverted into the ground. How do you turn when inverted!?
If you're using roll to turn, it's exactly the same and right-way-up. Just keep a bit of down pressure to fly level and to remind your head not to pull up out of it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Aileron is the same when doing a banked turn whilst inverted BUT you will need to push the elevator far more than you are used to. Remember that when inverted the wing has lower lift unless it has a symmetrical profile. So therefore you will fly inverted with a rather large amount of "Down" elevator to keep the AoA positive. There is a gotcha though! The plane will not fly as well slowly and it is possible that you will need to keep the speed higher whilst inverted. If you try to fly too slowly the wing will stall and your attempted turn could result in a stall, spin and impact!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Aileron is the same when doing a banked turn whilst inverted BUT you will need to push the elevator far more than you are used to. Remember that when inverted the wing has lower lift unless it has a symmetrical profile. So therefore you will fly inverted with a rather large amount of "Down" elevator to keep the AoA positive. There is a gotcha though! The plane will not fly as well slowly and it is possible that you will need to keep the speed higher whilst inverted. If you try to fly too slowly the wing will stall and your attempted turn could result in a stall, spin and impact!

Have fun!
Now I know to put words to what is happeneing to me :). Thanks @Hai-Lee!

BorisTheSpider

I still need to practice inverted. Probably start practicing it on the sim first.
That's probably a good idea. I'm a glutton for punishment though, so I practice everything on the real thing. For learning inverted, I just took it slow. I got a few mistakes high and practiced rolling inverted and back. Once I was confident in "recovering," I stayed inverted a little longer, sticking to straight runs and rolling out. I've done that for a bit and what I'm working on now is some bank and yank turns. Just doing it one little bit at a time.

mayan

Legendary member
It’s been a few days since I last posted an update about my progress and what I was up too. Some of you might have read on other threads what I have been working on but for those who didn’t and are following this thread I’ll post a short update here as well.

I’ll start of by telling you a bit about the builds I have been working on, most of which are co-op builds. What is a co-op build? Well I see it as a build with other amazing forum members where we all build the same model and share our experience about it; build all the way to maiden. I’ve witnessed a great success with this type of thread with the Mini Scout where a ton of people built the model and went out to fly it each sharing their experience about it, 27 wonderful pages of people having fun with the Mini Scout. Although that thread was more of a challenge than a co-op build thread, I still hope that other members will join our newly created co-op build threads and share their experiences about the model that is being built.

At the moment I am taking part in a few co-op build threads. On some the builds have already been finished or very near to being finished, others have not been started yet. Bellow are links to the co-op build threads that I am taking part in at the moment, so you can follow my progress there as I will not double post here as well.

Edge 540 - At the EDGE of the world, we meet.
Master Series Corsair - Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!
X-29 - X-29 Build - Swept forward in the fun

Lastly over the last few days I did manage to go once to the field and fly my TT and Storch and both surfed some damage. The TT is a goner after practicing flying inverted I landed that way too and broke the fuselage and nose sections, I have decided not to repair it anymore though because of the weight that it has gained from all the repairs. The Storch on the other hand was flying with a C pack motor this time since I felt that the B pack motor was to weak for it to fly well, the damage on it is only a new power pod and a bit of enforcing to the nose section nothing to drastic so it will be air worthy again by the end of the night :).

mayan

Legendary member
It’s been a few days since I last posted an update about my progress and what I was up too. Some of you might have read on other threads what I have been working on but for those who didn’t and are following this thread I’ll post a short update here as well.

I’ll start of by telling you a bit about the builds I have been working on, most of which are co-op builds. What is a co-op build? Well I see it as a build with other amazing forum members where we all build the same model and share our experience about it; build all the way to maiden. I’ve witnessed a great success with this type of thread with the Mini Scout where a ton of people built the model and went out to fly it each sharing their experience about it, 27 wonderful pages of people having fun with the Mini Scout. Although that thread was more of a challenge than a co-op build thread, I still hope that other members will join our newly created co-op build threads and share their experiences about the model that is being built.

At the moment I am taking part in a few co-op build threads. On some the builds have already been finished or very near to being finished, others have not been started yet. Bellow are links to the co-op build threads that I am taking part in at the moment, so you can follow my progress there as I will not double post here as well.

Edge 540 - At the EDGE of the world, we meet.
Master Series Corsair - Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!
X-29 - X-29 Build - Swept forward in the fun

Lastly over the last few days I did manage to go once to the field and fly my TT and Storch and both surfed some damage. The TT is a goner after practicing flying inverted I landed that way too and broke the fuselage and nose sections, I have decided not to repair it anymore though because of the weight that it has gained from all the repairs. The Storch on the other hand was flying with a C pack motor this time since I felt that the B pack motor was to weak for it to fly well, the damage on it is only a new power pod and a bit of enforcing to the nose section nothing to drastic so it will be air worthy again by the end of the night :).
Here is another co-op build that I will be taking part in Spitfire - 'SPIT' roasted FB :).

basslord1124

Master member
I had seen where you've been involved in some co-op builds. That's awesome! I can't remember if I replied to any of the threads but I know I lurked and seen a few (the Edge and the Corsair...don't remember seeing the X29). Very excited to see the progress and experiences. ;)

I was curious on the Corsair how you guys are doing wood framing on the wings. I think I recall somebody (can't remember who) made the framing out of foamboard, but reinforced it with wood. At first glance, I think that'd be a tricky part for a scratch builder who doesn't have access to a laser cutter and that type of wood. Might just have to improvise something. Are you guys all scratchbuilding OR do some have a speed build kit? Sorry I just sort of glanced at the threads so I may have missed those details.

mayan

Legendary member
The TT is a goner after practicing flying inverted I landed that way too and broke the fuselage and nose sections, I have decided not to repair it anymore though because of the weight that it has gained from all the repairs.

TT.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I had seen where you've been involved in some co-op builds. That's awesome! I can't remember if I replied to any of the threads but I know I lurked and seen a few (the Edge and the Corsair...don't remember seeing the X29). Very excited to see the progress and experiences. ;)

I was curious on the Corsair how you guys are doing wood framing on the wings. I think I recall somebody (can't remember who) made the framing out of foamboard, but reinforced it with wood. At first glance, I think that'd be a tricky part for a scratch builder who doesn't have access to a laser cutter and that type of wood. Might just have to improvise something. Are you guys all scratchbuilding OR do some have a speed build kit? Sorry I just sort of glanced at the threads so I may have missed those details.
That was my concern but Kilroy helped me out with the plywood spars. If I was to scratch build i would probably use balsa wood to laminate a piece of foam board.

mayan

Legendary member
Took a short break from all the co-op build threads that I am part of to get myself a new TT to replace my broken one. Finished it last night so I can take it to Jerusalem and show off for a good friend that has shown some interest. Thinking of it I should have hooked it up with a parachute / bomb drop mechanism which is totally impressive:).

Any how tonight I’ll probably finish off my master series Corsair build so I can prepare it for a paint job along side my Edge that is also waiting for a paint job.

More later...

mayan

Legendary member
A few updates here.
Haven't been out to the field lately which is kind of depressing, it's just really hard to achieve during summer vacation with the kids being at home. Since I couldn't go to the field I did this.

Rebuilt the fuselage and nose of my TT.
FF7FF0F8-593D-45C8-8787-2E155EE98A93.jpeg

Finished my Edge 540 full scale and started a painting it. Missing black and gray vinyls to be able to decorate it.
07654E75-0D8E-4AE2-97EC-5DA863139E14.jpeg

Finished my Master Series Corsair and started painting and decorating it with hand cut decals.
275DC700-5297-4FB1-B869-900C02398F7A.jpeg

Started my X-29 build. This is where I am at, until tomorrow when I’ll hopefully be able to go get two servos to continue the build.
96256CA4-CE80-4F87-AB0B-BB11A76AFBA5.jpeg

7FC6F2A5-03D5-4087-BA90-1F549835BE09.jpeg

Repaired my Simple Storch. Rebuilt the power pod and fixed the nose section. Also added some wire to hold the wheel gear together.
24F3BBD0-1DA7-4AB7-8849-AA2A741BD635.jpeg

Thinking of building a new Mini Arrow which is something that I want to learn to fly :). And last but not least I’ll try to finish the Quik Trick @Hai-Lee recommended I build a very long time ago.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so I won’t be going to get some servos today as I really don’t have why to rush myself with the build of the X-29. I’ll be missing the EDF and battery for this build which will have to wait for next month’s paycheck anyhow so I might just add the servos to that order as well.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A few updates here.
Haven't been out to the field lately which is kind of depressing, it's just really hard to achieve during summer vacation with the kids being at home. Since I couldn't go to the field I did this.

Rebuilt the fuselage and nose of my TT.
View attachment 136492

Finished my Edge 540 full scale and started a painting it. Missing black and gray vinyls to be able to decorate it. View attachment 136493

Finished my Master Series Corsair and started painting and decorating it with hand cut decals.
View attachment 136494

Started my X-29 build. This is where I am at, until tomorrow when I’ll hopefully be able to go get two servos to continue the build.
View attachment 136495
View attachment 136496

Repaired my Simple Storch. Rebuilt the power pod and fixed the nose section. Also added some wire to hold the wheel gear together.
View attachment 136497

Thinking of building a new Mini Arrow which is something that I want to learn to fly :). And last but not least I’ll try to finish the Quik Trick @Hai-Lee recommended I build a very long time ago.
Reworking the wing build as we speak. Just returned after an 8 1/2 hr training. (Instruction), session, (time flies as well as planes).
Do you still have a few long scraps to allow you to cut new spars for the Q Trick?

Have fun!