The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
Wanted to build a new wing today but it didn’t work out I messed up and called it quits. Decided to fix the old wing what can go wrong it’ll break again? Any how fixing and more updates tomorrow :).

mayan

Legendary member
Ok well fixing the KFM Wing yesterday was horrible I made stupid mistakes that made the wing airframe very weak so I took a break and did an activity with the kids. Check it out.

Any how I cut out a new KFM Wing during my shift at work yesterday night and now going to glue it up and let it dry for the night.

More later.

Piotrsko

Master member
If you want to go bigger: get a truck tire rubber valve stem. Figure out how to hook it to an old fashioned hand or foot powered bicycle pump. Use soda pop bottles 1/2 full of water, force it over the fat end of the tire stem and then let the kids pump it up. Around 60psi it comes out with a whoosh and huge spray of water and the soda pop bottle goes about 100ft. They are empty a foot or so after launch, so being hit only causes a red spot and some tears. I did this for the Boy Scouts, had one heck of a fun wet time , wore out two foot pumps in about an hour. Google water bottle rockets for pictures/details

mayan

Legendary member
If you want to go bigger: get a truck tire rubber valve stem. Figure out how to hook it to an old fashioned hand or foot powered bicycle pump. Use soda pop bottles 1/2 full of water, force it over the fat end of the tire stem and then let the kids pump it up. Around 60psi it comes out with a whoosh and huge spray of water and the soda pop bottle goes about 100ft. They are empty a foot or so after launch, so being hit only causes a red spot and some tears. I did this for the Boy Scouts, had one heck of a fun wet time , wore out two foot pumps in about an hour. Google water bottle rockets for pictures/details
And so I will :).

Jimun

Elite member
Ok well fixing the KFM Wing yesterday was horrible I made stupid mistakes that made the wing airframe very weak so I took a break and did an activity with the kids. Check it out.

Any how I cut out a new KFM Wing during my shift at work yesterday night and now going to glue it up and let it dry for the night.

More later.
I did that a few years ago with the grandkids. They loved it and we had a blast.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright last update for tonight. I glued down the new KFM Wing and set it to dry for the night.
AA118496-EBB8-4691-8DE3-5A22DF7B1F9A.jpeg

Re-enforced the wing with some carbon fiber strips this time :).
B398A390-56CD-490F-8B07-5BD1B77D233A.jpeg

Did a last crap check on my Master Series Corsair and Edge 540 and now I am off to bed and the count down begins.

Count down for what!? For tomorrow’s outing with @Eddo radush, we are meeting up at the field at 6:45. So in ~5.5 hours we maiden the Corsair and Edge. But that’s not the only the planes going to the field tomorrow. I am going to pack the car with TT&Mods, Edge, Corsair and DR-1.

Good night for now see you in the morning ;).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Some of the parts arrived for the KFM Wing. Sadly the motor and battery were not supplied so all I can really post is the fitting of the servos, control horns, and the pushrods.

The right servo recessed into the wing and the control horn etc fitted
DSCF0031.JPG

The left servo recessed into the wing and the control horn etc fitted.
DSCF0032.JPG

The right servo and cable glued in and the pushrod trimmed
DSCF0033.JPG

The left servo and cable glued in and the pushrod trimmed.
DSCF0034.JPG

Hopefully the remaining parts will arrive soon so the test flight can be done and then the hand over!

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member

More later.

Sorry about the KFM wing. lol looks like a fun thing with the kids! Not necessarily aviation related, but you could always try the Mentos and Diet Coke trick too. I'm sure they'd love that too.

mayan

Legendary member
Sorry about the KFM wing. lol looks like a fun thing with the kids! Not necessarily aviation related, but you could always try the Mentos and Diet Coke trick too. I'm sure they'd love that too.
No worries the KFM Wing is one of the easiest builds I have done so far!

First time in a while that I had a day without the kids this summer vacation, we sent them to my mother in a law and had a whole day to our selves. My day started out with 5 hours at the field with @Eddo radush. Then I got home and went with my wife to one store that she wanted to go to for her hobby. We then got home and spent the afternoon together after which we went to have dinner with 1.5L of beer.

So now I am to out of it to edit videos of the maidens that I had done today and tomorrow I got the morning shift at work so that will have to wait to tomorrow afternoon. When I get home from work. Can’t wait to edit and share the maidens of the Edge 540 and Master Series Corsair that took place today.

More about that tomorrow, good night folks :).

basslord1124

Master member
hey @Hai-Lee ...looking over some of the steps and such for the KFM wing...what is the purpose for doing the Minwax? I am used to applying Minwax to give it a protective layer if I wish to paint it with spray paint but I see it's one of the first things mentioned. Is it optional or is there a good reason to use it?

mayan

Legendary member
I told @BATTLEAXE I'd upload some pictures of yesterday's outing to the field this morning during my shift at but I wasn't able to focus on posting anything. Instead we sat and watched a movie in between calls, on a wide set of screens :).

Any how I thought that while I am waiting for the footage to get imported into iMovie so I can edit it and make a few videos out of it, I'd write a post about yesterday. I'll start off by saying that I had a blast! I took 4 planes to the field 2 of which were to be maidened for the first time (Edge 540 & Corsair). @Eddo radush and I decided to meet up at the field at 6:45AM, and since I live a whole lot closer to our one of our flying fields, I usually make it there first; so while I waited for him to arrive I started setting up the SpiTTT. Why the SpiTTT first!? Well I always like to warm up first flying planes I feel super control over, and the SpiTTT would be a prefect warm up for the low winged Corsair.

It windier than I expect it to be at 7AM so I was a little worried that this might ruin our day but it didn't! So I started off flying the SpiTTT and flew two 3S 800mah batteries on it. Eddo that this point was flying his bird the one he invented. When I finished flying the two batteries on the SpiTTT I felt like it was time to step it up and pulled out the Edge 540. The Edge had something special that I wanted to add to it, so it required some setup time. What was it!? I a day before I went to the hobby shop and purchase a spinner for it, my first time ever :). Had a little bit of issues with it at first but then got it figured out and was ready to fly. Having done a crap check at home the day before all I had to do was pop a battery and go flying. Using a 3S 2200mah battery and pre-dailed dual rates and expos set to 70% deflections rates with 30% expo on low rates and 100% deflection rates and 30% expo on the high rates I went flying. The Edge flew amazing and my control over it was great, after all I do have some stick time with that model from previous builds.

I did a few circuits with the Edge and brought it down to check the motor/ESC temp, the motor was hot and I didn't like it :(. When I was at the hobby shop the other day the store owner actually asked my if I didn't want a spinner with holes on the side. I asked what's the difference so he said it helps keeping the motor cool. Sounded logical so I asked how much it cost, he said that it would cost a lot more than one I originally picked up so I said I'd skip and stick to what I had picked up. Mistake! I should have threw in the few extra bucks and took the ones with the holes. Tip from me if you ever get to that choice go with the one that has holes! While I waited for the motor to cool down I decided I'd fix the power pod that broke loose and needed to be re-attached if I wanted to finish off the battery that I still had left. While waiting for the field hot glue gun to get warm I removed the spinner to allow better ventilation of the motor, after all at 50m up you can't see it any how.

I repaired the Edge's power pod, flew it once more, finished the battery and landed it in one piece; hoarry! Time for the Master Series Corsair, packed up the Edge and pulled it out. Again had everything checked and pre-configured at home so all I had to do is just plug in a battery and go fly. Put in my second 3S 2200mah battery and went flying :). Yes, yes, yes it flies and flies amazing too, handling like a dream :). Flew a few circuits with it and started fooling around, trying to do a roll. Unlike the Edge this plane doesn't like to roll, and does sort of a flat spin instead :), trying to do a stupid maneuver close to ground made me crash :(. So it was repair time for the Corsair, luckily all the damage could easily be fixed at the field so again I hooked up the hot glue gun.

While the hot glue gun warmed up I spent some time watching Eddo fly his plane and just when I turned around to start repairing the Corsair I hear Eddo mumble something when I turned around to look what happened I realised that his plane was no longer in the air. WTF happen!? Well his wing clapped, the folded up and his plane went down in a hard nose dive into the ground. Unfortunately Eddo busted his motor breaking the motor shaft ;(. Well he thought it was game over for his flying, when I told him to come help me finish repairing the Corsair and then I'd hook him up with my TT with the glider wings setup. We finished repairing the Corsair, and took a short break waiting for the 3S 800mah battery to finish charging up. By the time the battery finished charging up the wind has picked up and became super strong.

Our hesitation about the ability to fly in these new conditions did last long and Eddo tossed up my TT after I pushed him too :). He didn't feel comfortable and brought the plane down for a landing while saying that he rather not try that with my plane. I told him it was ok and in effort to show him that it could handle the wind I tossed it up myself. WOW what a wind I said out loud, agreeing with Eddo that the TT glider wings can't handle the wind I too brought it down for a landing. I was still super eager to find out if the Corsair could fly again so I launched into the air did exactly one circuit happy that it still flies OK and brought it in for a good landing in one piece happy and pleased it was time to wrap up.

But wait what?! There is more!? Yes! The wind was so strong that we felt like the TT could be slope soared something that we both wanted to try out for a while now. So we took off the prop and started gliding it down on hand tosses. The wind was so strong that it was literally lifting out of our hands with just a simple let go, so we started looking for mini hills around the open crop field that could maybe create a good enough strip of lift. We found something and tried off of there until we broke the wing and that was just around 12PM, so exhausted but pleased we packed up and each head his way.

Me and @Eddo radush at the field the moment we arrived.
IMG_3063.JPG

The SpiTTT I was flying.
IMG_3062.JPG

The plane Eddo was flying before the wings folded.
IMG_3065.JPG

The Edge before maiden.
faa658a5-bbbf-43ad-b957-ac7240eabfbb.JPG

16e208ab-ec42-4a8e-82dc-7331d43a27dc.JPG IMG_3070.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3074.JPG IMG_3075.JPG

The damage on the Edge that has been repaired at the field.
IMG_3081.JPG

The Master Series Corsair before maiden.
3d81e591-9a6b-4859-8828-a4529cc67f2a.JPG

f607408b-c4fd-4c5a-9be5-e20367d2538b.JPG IMG_3089.JPG

The damage to the Corsair that was fixed at the field.
IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

The footage just finished importing so I am going to go edit it now. Stay tuned for the maiden videos of the Edge and Corsair on their co-op build threads we have going. I'll also upload a video with some highlights of the day here so stay tuned for that too :).

Anyhow more later...

EDIT:
@Jimun see I also had damage done to the Corsair and she still flies, hope yours does too :).

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
hey @Hai-Lee ...looking over some of the steps and such for the KFM wing...what is the purpose for doing the Minwax? I am used to applying Minwax to give it a protective layer if I wish to paint it with spray paint but I see it's one of the first things mentioned. Is it optional or is there a good reason to use it?
Yes I normally Minwax as the final sealing step prior to painting BUT I also like to use packing tape to hold pieces together whilst I physically align them and to stop them moving around before the glue dries.

I discovered a long time ago that if I use the cheap packing tape on the bare FB the tape tends to tear the paper when you try to remove it BUT if the paper is sealed with minwax the tape does not want to rip the paper unless you apply a lot of pressure to the tape.

Simply put the Minwax allows me to use packing tape to hold the pieces in position whilst the glue dries and then for the tape to be removed without damaging the paper!

If you do not use tape to hold the pieces in position then you can leave the minwax to the last step prior to painting!

Have fun!

Jimun

Elite member
I told @BATTLEAXE I'd upload some pictures of yesterday's outing to the field this morning during my shift at but I wasn't able to focus on posting anything. Instead we sat and watched a movie in between calls, on a wide set of screens :).

Any how I thought that while I am waiting for the footage to get imported into iMovie so I can edit it and make a few videos out of it, I'd write a post about yesterday. I'll start off by saying that I had a blast! I took 4 planes to the field 2 of which were to be maidened for the first time (Edge 540 & Corsair). @Eddo radush and I decided to meet up at the field at 6:45AM, and since I live a whole lot closer to our one of our flying fields, I usually make it there first; so while I waited for him to arrive I started setting up the SpiTTT. Why the SpiTTT first!? Well I always like to warm up first flying planes I feel super control over, and the SpiTTT would be a prefect warm up for the low winged Corsair.

It windier than I expect it to be at 7AM so I was a little worried that this might ruin our day but it didn't! So I started off flying the SpiTTT and flew two 3S 800mah batteries on it. Eddo that this point was flying his bird the one he invented. When I finished flying the two batteries on the SpiTTT I felt like it was time to step it up and pulled out the Edge 540. The Edge had something special that I wanted to add to it, so it required some setup time. What was it!? I a day before I went to the hobby shop and purchase a spinner for it, my first time ever :). Had a little bit of issues with it at first but then got it figured out and was ready to fly. Having done a crap check at home the day before all I had to do was pop a battery and go flying. Using a 3S 2200mah battery and pre-dailed dual rates and expos set to 70% deflections rates with 30% expo on low rates and 100% deflection rates and 30% expo on the high rates I went flying. The Edge flew amazing and my control over it was great, after all I do have some stick time with that model from previous builds.

I did a few circuits with the Edge and brought it down to check the motor/ESC temp, the motor was hot and I didn't like it :(. When I was at the hobby shop the other day the store owner actually asked my if I didn't want a spinner with holes on the side. I asked what's the difference so he said it helps keeping the motor cool. Sounded logical so I asked how much it cost, he said that it would cost a lot more than one I originally picked up so I said I'd skip and stick to what I had picked up. Mistake! I should have threw in the few extra bucks and took the ones with the holes. Tip from me if you ever get to that choice go with the one that has holes! While I waited for the motor to cool down I decided I'd fix the power pod that broke loose and needed to be re-attached if I wanted to finish off the battery that I still had left. While waiting for the field hot glue gun to get warm I removed the spinner to allow better ventilation of the motor, after all at 50m up you can't see it any how.

I repaired the Edge's power pod, flew it once more, finished the battery and landed it in one piece; hoarry! Time for the Master Series Corsair, packed up the Edge and pulled it out. Again had everything checked and pre-configured at home so all I had to do is just plug in a battery and go fly. Put in my second 3S 2200mah battery and went flying :). Yes, yes, yes it flies and flies amazing too, handling like a dream :). Flew a few circuits with it and started fooling around, trying to do a roll. Unlike the Edge this plane doesn't like to roll, and does sort of a flat spin instead :), trying to do a stupid maneuver close to ground made me crash :(. So it was repair time for the Corsair, luckily all the damage could easily be fixed at the field so again I hooked up the hot glue gun.

While the hot glue gun warmed up I spent some time watching Eddo fly his plane and just when I turned around to start repairing the Corsair I hear Eddo mumble something when I turned around to look what happened I realised that his plane was no longer in the air. WTF happen!? Well his wing clapped, the folded up and his plane went down in a hard nose dive into the ground. Unfortunately Eddo busted his motor breaking the motor shaft ;(. Well he thought it was game over for his flying, when I told him to come help me finish repairing the Corsair and then I'd hook him up with my TT with the glider wings setup. We finished repairing the Corsair, and took a short break waiting for the 3S 800mah battery to finish charging up. By the time the battery finished charging up the wind has picked up and became super strong.

Our hesitation about the ability to fly in these new conditions did last long and Eddo tossed up my TT after I pushed him too :). He didn't feel comfortable and brought the plane down for a landing while saying that he rather not try that with my plane. I told him it was ok and in effort to show him that it could handle the wind I tossed it up myself. WOW what a wind I said out loud, agreeing with Eddo that the TT glider wings can't handle the wind I too brought it down for a landing. I was still super eager to find out if the Corsair could fly again so I launched into the air did exactly one circuit happy that it still flies OK and brought it in for a good landing in one piece happy and pleased it was time to wrap up.

But wait what?! There is more!? Yes! The wind was so strong that we felt like the TT could be slope soared something that we both wanted to try out for a while now. So we took off the prop and started gliding it down on hand tosses. The wind was so strong that it was literally lifting out of our hands with just a simple let go, so we started looking for mini hills around the open crop field that could maybe create a good enough strip of lift. We found something and tried off of there until we broke the wing and that was just around 12PM, so exhausted but pleased we packed up and each head his way.

Me and @Eddo radush at the field the moment we arrived.
View attachment 139691

The SpiTTT I was flying.
View attachment 139692

The plane Eddo was flying before the wings folded.
View attachment 139693

The Edge before maiden.
View attachment 139694

The damage on the Edge that has been repaired at the field.
View attachment 139700

The Master Series Corsair before maiden.
View attachment 139701

The damage to the Corsair that was fixed at the field.
View attachment 139704
View attachment 139705
View attachment 139706

The footage just finished importing so I am going to go edit it now. Stay tuned for the maiden videos of the Edge and Corsair on their co-op build threads we have going. I'll also upload a video with some highlights of the day here so stay tuned for that too :).

Anyhow more later...

EDIT:
@Jimun see I also had damage done to the Corsair and she still flies, hope yours does too :).
Sounds like a fun day. I just want to double check the CG my Corsair and I believe it will fly.:D

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
Here is a highlights video of yesterday's time at the field with Eddo.
@mayan you are getting real good, soon you will be a pro:D
Glad to see you and your friend really enjoying your time at the field.
That little closet you showed awhile back that you keep your planes in must be over flowing.:LOL:. My wife says I have over taken the garage:ROFLMAO:

Last edited: