The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
Alright some updates here for you all :).
I/we are on the last two days of the Build Raury Challenge, and this is my almost last update for any of you haven't followed my progress on the other threads that I posted this.

Mayan Build Raury Challenge.png

I still need to paint 3 more planes and maiden most of them not to mention reveiw them all :/. Today I got a super long shift at work so will try to finish building the DGA Wing which is what I am missing to finish that bird. Then I'll run home on my break to bring paint so I could try to paint it here.

That's that on the Build Ruary Challenge, moving on to some other stuff. I got 4 more receivers so now I have a total of 8 planes that are always hooked up and ready to fly at very little to no time. Two of the planes that have Rxs in them are the Arrowhead and Spitfire two planes that I also enjoy flying so very much. Both planes are very fun to fly, and can fly both fast or slow. They are my go to planes right now for 3S 1000 + 2200 batteries. This morning I finished the chores I had and couldn't resist but to hit the field with these two models. I flew half a battery on the Arrowhead because that is all that I left from my last outting considering I haven't charged up my batteries yesterday. Then I pulled out the Spitfire and set it up for a maiden going with a 3S 2200mah battery and a 9x4.7 prop when I realized that one of the control horns on my ailerons was loose. My battery powered hot glue gun was still not replaced so I generally had the vibe that it was game over but then it hit me if you have a hot glue stick you try to heat it up with a lighter and maybe just maybe it would drip and work. Guess what it did and I managed to field repair it so I could fly.
IMG-6449.JPG
IMG-6450.JPG

I flew two batteries and then took a break before I put in a 4S 1300 battery inside for the remaining time that I had left.

IMG-6452.JPG

IMG-6456.JPG

I then flew half of that battery until I had to wrap it all up and go home :(, if I get lucky maybe I'll hit the field tomorrow morning too :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
I/we are on the last two days of the Build Raury Challenge, and this is my almost last update for any of you haven't followed my progress on the other threads that I posted this.

View attachment 159598

I still need to paint 3 more planes and maiden most of them not to mention reveiw them all :/. Today I got a super long shift at work so will try to finish building the DGA Wing which is what I am missing to finish that bird. Then I'll run home on my break to bring paint so I could try to paint it here.

That's that on the Build Ruary Challenge, moving on to some other stuff. I got 4 more receivers so now I have a total of 8 planes that are always hooked up and ready to fly at very little to no time. Two of the planes that have Rxs in them are the Arrowhead and Spitfire two planes that I also enjoy flying so very much. Both planes are very fun to fly, and can fly both fast or slow. They are my go to planes right now for 3S 1000 + 2200 batteries. This morning I finished the chores I had and couldn't resist but to hit the field with these two models. I flew half a battery on the Arrowhead because that is all that I left from my last outting considering I haven't charged up my batteries yesterday. Then I pulled out the Spitfire and set it up for a maiden going with a 3S 2200mah battery and a 9x4.7 prop when I realized that one of the control horns on my ailerons was loose. My battery powered hot glue gun was still not replaced so I generally had the vibe that it was game over but then it hit me if you have a hot glue stick you try to heat it up with a lighter and maybe just maybe it would drip and work. Guess what it did and I managed to field repair it so I could fly.

I flew two batteries and then took a break before I put in a 4S 1300 battery inside for the remaining time that I had left.

I then flew half of that battery until I had to wrap it all up and go home :(, if I get lucky maybe I'll hit the field tomorrow morning too :).
You will need to take a holiday after this month. :)

Jimun

Elite member

View attachment 159598

View attachment 159599 View attachment 159600

View attachment 159601
View attachment 159602

Good job Mayan. So many planes, so many choices.

basslord1124

Master member
Love the quick repair with the lighter and glue stick. I've had those moments at the field too.

Looks like you've been a little busy with building, painting, etc.. I kinda wonder if you should pursue a career in aviation...it seems pilots are always on the go like you are. :) Awesome job as always.

I must have missed them, but what did you think of the Racer and Bloody Baron? Racer has been on my list for a while, and the BB is a fun little plane.

mayan

Legendary member
Love the quick repair with the lighter and glue stick. I've had those moments at the field too.

Looks like you've been a little busy with building, painting, etc.. I kinda wonder if you should pursue a career in aviation...it seems pilots are always on the go like you are. :) Awesome job as always.

I must have missed them, but what did you think of the Racer and Bloody Baron? Racer has been on my list for a while, and the BB is a fun little plane.
I think I need more time on both to make up my mind but the very little time that I was on the BB was great fun it is a fun little easy to build and fly plane. I still haven't reviewed any of the planes I built and maiden because I feel like I got to do it right. 10 days 1-2 planes per outing 1-2 batteries on each and I'll be able to review them :).

mayan

Legendary member
Hey everyone I haven't posted an update here in a very long time and that is due to so many things happening all together; so this post will be long in hope to get you all up to date. It all started with one hell of a busy building month thanks to @FoamyDM and Build Ruary. Not complaining at all because I had one hell of an experience and now have so many new planes to crash :). Talking about Build Ruary, I am pretty happy with my results; I built 10 out of the 14 planes that were on my list and successfully maidened 7 out of those 10. All the details regarding my building and flying experience can be found here: FTFC20: Build-ruary by Mayan (Build Skill: 4, Pilot SKill: 3 Novice), make sure to check it out.

Now Build Ruary was over and the weather got better too, but then it happened; COVID19 :(. It came in fast and hit us hard; in no time our beloved country was being locked down. Schools were shut down, workers put on unpaid vacation, and movement generally limited to up to a 100m from your home and only for a few minutes; unless you are considered to be a vital worker and then you can keep going to work. Luckily my wife and I (working at the same place) are considered vital workers and thus our jobs were not hurt and we could keep going to work. Technically our income shouldn't have been hurt either but since my wife is considered to be at high risk she is staying at home and thus all the finicals are on me at the moment :/. With all this being said the government with a lot of logic decided to exclude construction work from the lock down, so the construction in our building continued as normal, and this is what we got to wake up to at 7AM for about 3 weeks, we thought it was over with but over the last two days it's back again :(.

Ok so now picture this, me before/after work, two kids at home and that noise from 7AM none stop all the way til 17PM-18PM. I was losing it, really losing it. At first I wanted to do everything and anything I could to get the city to make them stop the work but then I realised that I actually don't know what I prefer. If I prefer they stop the work and have the whole project delayed or for them to just keep going and for this long project to be done on time. One way or the other I came to understand that no matter what I do, there is nothing that is going to make them stop unless it came from the government; which wasn't happening :(. To top it all up the construction work was also causing some damage to the interior walls of our house, as well as other stuff, all adding to the frustration that was high already.

2CA73DF6-4708-48C3-BC0E-C7CC47DDD463.JPG 5FAFC533-A1E0-48FC-B394-A9C338118B59.JPG 64924A24-4817-44D1-B0CE-518130D2A270.JPG IMG-0319.jpg IMG-0473.jpg IMG-0548.jpg

Time passed and things were getting worse at home. The whole family started to lose it, especially our 9 year old daughter with special needs. She started pulling her hair day after day screaming her lungs out that she wanted the Corona Virus to go away, at some point she even screamed she wanted to die; typing this is bringing tears to my eyes so I'll keep it short. After a few days of this going on I managed to get us onto a list of a few families only that are allowed to access the city park which is locked down, for an hour and half once a week. There is no interaction between the families so that allows you to really let the kids run around and take out some of that stored energy that they have; too bad it can't be used to power the electrically devices around the house :). That one outing a week to the city park really brought in some air to the family, and have made things a little more bearable. We also found a solution for the other days of the week :), check it out.

I am still feeling a bit down as my pressure reliever, flying is still gone for a while because I can't go to the field since it’s more than a 100m away from home :(. I did get to fly some before the country was locked down and the movement limited, but it wasn't enough; in fact it was the start and end of a great spring period ;(. I just started playing with FPV giving my son his and my first FPV flight, I managed to train my son some more even though he ends up not talking to me after each training session and most importantly I got a friend interested in the hobby after handing him a Tx on one of our joined outing :). Like I said, the start and end of a potentially great time that would have been enjoyed with family and friends; but instead we got social distancing :(.

IMG-0203.jpg

First FPV experience

Training my son

FT Racer 4S “No Shitting Around” - @BATTLEAXE this is for you :).

Spitfire 4S at Sun Set
https://youtu.be/KiQsBIrwil8

c6eebac0-7572-41a7-acda-1a59fc2b0c56.JPG

Not having the ability to fly outdoors in my normal field made me search for indoor solutions, bringing back my Tiny Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer project. Everything was technically built except for the power pod, so rebuilt the power pod, put back the motor and ESC and was ready to give it a try. I decided to wait for our next outing to the city park to give it a try before I let her rip indoors; and a smart idea it was too :). The plane just kept wanting to spin left and was very uncontrollable, let alone wasn’t slow enough to be able to fly in the small indoor area that I had hoped to be able to fly in. I am pretty sure that adding some more down + right thrust will fix the wanting to spin left which I think is part of the motor torque, but that will have to wait for next Sunday the next time we go to the city park. Speaking of the city park, the last time we were there I took the Arrowhead with me knowing I can fly it in a small area but that didn’t end up well for a few reasons and ended in the totaling of the power pod and nose section. Anyhow I decided I’d try and find something to buy that can fly indoor and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014906979.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRqpxhD, now just waiting for it to arrive and hope it does before the lock down is released :).

OK so I thought to myself if small doesn’t work well, why not go big and decided to start a scale up project, which I had planned to do anyhow during the summer making it a quarantine project instead. Debating what model to build I decided I’d go with the Tiny Trainer and scaled the plans up to 206%, which I could use to train my son with in case it flies nice and slow, it will surely be easier for him to track in the sky :). I don’t want to get into that too much here because I plan on opening a thread dedicated to that project, so once I do I’ll just post the link here. Last thing for this post is that I decided I’d build the Master Series Spitfire so going to tile the plans together right now.

mayan

Legendary member
Awesome flying as always, glad to see your son really getting in on some training! Looking forward to your ongoing projects(y)
Thanks buddy. I actually am thinking what to do next and what to put next on my YouTube channel. Any suggestions?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I dont envy those locked in their homes, especially with children. We're homeschooling our boys now but we are fortunate to be able to turn them loose outside. I'm not sure our family would handle being indoors that long... I know I sure wouldnt! 😳 Sounds like you're making it work, good job and good luck going forward!

mayan

Legendary member
I dont envy those locked in their homes, especially with children. We're homeschooling our boys now but we are fortunate to be able to turn them loose outside. I'm not sure our family would handle being indoors that long... I know I sure wouldnt! 😳 Sounds like you're making it work, good job and good luck going forward!
It's hard but we try to keep sane :).

Jimun

Elite member
Hey everyone I haven't posted an update here in a very long time and that is due to so many things happening all together; so this post will be long in hope to get you all up to date. It all started with one hell of a busy building month thanks to @FoamyDM and Build Ruary. Not complaining at all because I had one hell of an experience and now have so many new planes to crash :). Talking about Build Ruary, I am pretty happy with my results; I built 10 out of the 14 planes that were on my list and successfully maidened 7 out of those 10. All the details regarding my building and flying experience can be found here: FTFC20: Build-ruary by Mayan (Build Skill: 4, Pilot SKill: 3 Novice), make sure to check it out.

Now Build Ruary was over and the weather got better too, but then it happened; COVID19 :(. It came in fast and hit us hard; in no time our beloved country was being locked down. Schools were shut down, workers put on unpaid vacation, and movement generally limited to up to a 100m from your home and only for a few minutes; unless you are considered to be a vital worker and then you can keep going to work. Luckily my wife and I (working at the same place) are considered vital workers and thus our jobs were not hurt and we could keep going to work. Technically our income shouldn't have been hurt either but since my wife is considered to be at high risk she is staying at home and thus all the finicals are on me at the moment :/. With all this being said the government with a lot of logic decided to exclude construction work from the lock down, so the construction in our building continued as normal, and this is what we got to wake up to at 7AM for about 3 weeks, we thought it was over with but over the last two days it's back again :(.

Ok so now picture this, me before/after work, two kids at home and that noise from 7AM none stop all the way til 17PM-18PM. I was losing it, really losing it. At first I wanted to do everything and anything I could to get the city to make them stop the work but then I realised that I actually don't know what I prefer. If I prefer they stop the work and have the whole project delayed or for them to just keep going and for this long project to be done on time. One way or the other I came to understand that no matter what I do, there is nothing that is going to make them stop unless it came from the government; which wasn't happening :(. To top it all up the construction work was also causing some damage to the interior walls of our house, as well as other stuff, all adding to the frustration that was high already.

Time passed and things were getting worse at home. The whole family started to lose it, especially our 9 year old daughter with special needs. She started pulling her hair day after day screaming her lungs out that she wanted the Corona Virus to go away, at some point she even screamed she wanted to die; typing this is bringing tears to my eyes so I'll keep it short. After a few days of this going on I managed to get us onto a list of a few families only that are allowed to access the city park which is locked down, for an hour and half once a week. There is no interaction between the families so that allows you to really let the kids run around and take out some of that stored energy that they have; too bad it can't be used to power the electrically devices around the house :). That one outing a week to the city park really brought in some air to the family, and have made things a little more bearable. We also found a solution for the other days of the week :), check it out.

I am still feeling a bit down as my pressure reliever, flying is still gone for a while because I can't go to the field since it’s more than a 100m away from home :(. I did get to fly some before the country was locked down and the movement limited, but it wasn't enough; in fact it was the start and end of a great spring period ;(. I just started playing with FPV giving my son his and my first FPV flight, I managed to train my son some more even though he ends up not talking to me after each training session and most importantly I got a friend interested in the hobby after handing him a Tx on one of our joined outing :). Like I said, the start and end of a potentially great time that would have been enjoyed with family and friends; but instead we got social distancing :(.

View attachment 166071

First FPV experience

Training my son

FT Racer 4S “No Shitting Around” - @BATTLEAXE this is for you :).

Spitfire 4S at Sun Set
https://youtu.be/KiQsBIrwil8

View attachment 166072

Not having the ability to fly outdoors in my normal field made me search for indoor solutions, bringing back my Tiny Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer project. Everything was technically built except for the power pod, so rebuilt the power pod, put back the motor and ESC and was ready to give it a try. I decided to wait for our next outing to the city park to give it a try before I let her rip indoors; and a smart idea it was too :). The plane just kept wanting to spin left and was very uncontrollable, let alone wasn’t slow enough to be able to fly in the small indoor area that I had hoped to be able to fly in. I am pretty sure that adding some more down + right thrust will fix the wanting to spin left which I think is part of the motor torque, but that will have to wait for next Sunday the next time we go to the city park. Speaking of the city park, the last time we were there I took the Arrowhead with me knowing I can fly it in a small area but that didn’t end up well for a few reasons and ended in the totaling of the power pod and nose section. Anyhow I decided I’d try and find something to buy that can fly indoor and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014906979.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRqpxhD, now just waiting for it to arrive and hope it does before the lock down is released :).

OK so I thought to myself if small doesn’t work well, why not go big and decided to start a scale up project, which I had planned to do anyhow during the summer making it a quarantine project instead. Debating what model to build I decided I’d go with the Tiny Trainer and scaled the plans up to 206%, which I could use to train my son with in case it flies nice and slow, it will surely be easier for him to track in the sky :). I don’t want to get into that too much here because I plan on opening a thread dedicated to that project, so once I do I’ll just post the link here. Last thing for this post is that I decided I’d build the Master Series Spitfire so going to tile the plans together right now.
It is good to here from you my friend. I have praying for you and your family. I believe we will all make it through this. I really enjoyed your flying videos, they make me want to get out and fly. But California is under stay at home orders and I don't know if the field is open. Work is down to 3 days a week for me and my wife is down to 1. We are doing okay for now. My wife is really missing being with friends and we had to cancel our vacation to visit our grandkids and parents. I could share more but I don't want to hog up your thread. God bless you

basslord1124

Master member
Great to hear an update from you...with the whole coronavirus thing and everything else, I haven't been around as much to catch up on updates.

Had no idea you made a Racer...that's awesome! Always did like that one but never built it.

I remember too about your all's construction situation. I hate that! Hope it finishes soon for ya.

You and your family stay safe and stay inside. ;):)

mayan

Legendary member
It is good to here from you my friend. I have praying for you and your family. I believe we will all make it through this. I really enjoyed your flying videos, they make me want to get out and fly. But California is under stay at home orders and I don't know if the field is open. Work is down to 3 days a week for me and my wife is down to 1. We are doing okay for now. My wife is really missing being with friends and we had to cancel our vacation to visit our grandkids and parents. I could share more but I don't want to hog up your thread. God bless you
Thanks buddy you are in my prays too.

That was sweet man. You flew that with courage and grace my friend. I salute you sir! beautiful flight. Did it scare you a bit on 4s?
Funny to say it actually feels more right, as if it needs the 4S speed :).

Great to hear an update from you...with the whole coronavirus thing and everything else, I haven't been around as much to catch up on updates.

Had no idea you made a Racer...that's awesome! Always did like that one but never built it.

I remember too about your all's construction situation. I hate that! Hope it finishes soon for ya.

You and your family stay safe and stay inside. ;):)
Thanks buddy. We have been inside for about a month now, these video were all taken on the last opurtunity we had to get out which was on the 23-03-2020 ever since, we have been limited to 100m from home.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks buddy you are in my prays too.

Funny to say it actually feels more right, as if it needs the 4S speed :).

Thanks buddy. We have been inside for about a month now, these video were all taken on the last opurtunity we had to get out which was on the 23-03-2020 ever since, we have been limited to 100m from home.
That sucks man - I’d go crazy! I’m praying for you and your family. I’m gonna get the Mr. Mulligan done and flying hopefully next week, so I’ll definitely keep you posted.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so first I forgot to post this picture of the Tiny Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer that I have built and tried to maiden unsuccesfully at the park so here it is. I am using an MT1806 2230 kv motor with a 5x5" prop and a 2S 1000mah battery, if any body wants more details about the size and weight of it, let me know and I'll check and post them.

I also opened a thread for the big Tiny Trainer project that I am working on, more details can be found here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/tiny-trainer-on-stroids.62905/; enjoy!