The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so first I forgot to post this picture of the Tiny Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer that I have built and tried to maiden unsuccesfully at the park so here it is.
Forgot it again :eek:. So here it is.
IMG-0449.jpg

Small update. I recently gained more courage to fly some planes at the city park during our weekly outing considering we are there all alone. This week I took the DR-1 considering I had no time to repair the broken Arrowhead. The DR-1 flew ballon like and was very hard to contoll and fly in the area I wanted to stay in. That was until the top wing riped off or should I say I did :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. I kept flying it without the top wing and it flew great actually the videos you are about to see one filmed by my son the other by my wife are both flying without the top wing, enjoy.

IMG-0660 (1).jpg

IMG-0662 (1).jpg

Which filmed better you decided?!

LAST BUT NOT LEEAST I NEED YOUR HELP, I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! Considering I can't go to the field, can't meet up with friends or family expect for those with whom I live, and the fact that I can't really do some real flying; I feel stuck with my YouTube channel. So here is where you come in do any of you have any suggestions as to what you would like to see on the channel? Q&A? Build Video? Anything?

mayan

Legendary member
Following up on our previous outing to the City Park here are a few videos from that day. Also got to give me son some stick time.

My son getting some stick time.

On another note today was Israel’s Independence Day and for the first time ever we didn’t go to my grandfather’s for BBQ. This year the country was under lockdown and everyone was instructed to celebrate the holiday at home with the only those that live with them within the same home. Sad but we tried to make the best of it and decided to find a way into our not yet finished balcony to hold a zoom video conference BBQ, check it out.

We also had the IAF fly over the hospitals around the country to salute those working around the clock to get this whole COVID19 shit figured out while saving lives. Not my video but still short and to the point.

Finally some good news the lockdown is breaking off so tomorrow I’ll be attempting to go to the field to fly something hope to not get fined or something like that.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Good morning everybody, I am super happy over the last two days and I want to let all of you know why. Well it's quite obvious, the lockdown here in Israel is breaking off generally because the government can't hold the people at home any longer, and that in return allows me to hit the field without worrying to get arrested or fined for being outside. You all know that I haven't been wasting time and that yesterday I had already hit the field and had a great time with the Spitfire draining out all my batteries; well today I wanted to go again.

Luckily I had the night shift at work so that gave me the option to charge back my batteries all through the night, I didn't manage to charge them all but did get most of them charged. To avoid the risk of waking up the family I had put everything in the car during the night so the moment I got off work I head to the car, got in and directly drove off to the field. I arrived at the field pretty darn early considering it was only 7:30 and stay for a good two hours until 9:30, I would have stayed more, finishing off all my charged batteries but I was becoming tired and didn't want to do the drive back home on fumes.

I didn't take the Spitfire this time although it's by far one of my favorite planes at this point in time, instead I took the Racer. The Racer flew great although it seemed a bit under powered on a 3S battery, unlike in the past. The plane was already trimmed out so it flew great right from the start. I did have two hard crashes which I think were related to a LOS issue, considering the plane came spinning to the ground uncontrollably. The damage would have sent me home a few times but I found creative ways to keep the bird flying with crutches :).

Getting more time on this bird this morning allowed me to understand it’s flight characteristics. Understand that this bird needs about 65% throttle to cruise under stable control, and that flying with anything under that will put you at risk of tip stalling. I also managed to do some very stable fast low passes and generally got some good stick time and practice. Again no videos, just wanted wanted to go out and have fun, kinda get back to track after such a long time away from the field; if things work out then I’ll try hitting the field again tomorrow :).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good morning everybody, I am super happy over the last two days and I want to let all of you know why. Well it's quite obvious, the lockdown here in Israel is breaking off generally because the government can't hold the people at home any longer, and that in return allows me to hit the field without worrying to get arrested or fined for being outside. You all know that I haven't been wasting time and that yesterday I had already hit the field and had a great time with the Spitfire draining out all my batteries; well today I wanted to go again.

Luckily I had the night shift at work so that gave me the option to charge back my batteries all through the night, I didn't manage to charge them all but did get most of them charged. To avoid the risk of waking up the family I had put everything in the car during the night so the moment I got off work I head to the car, got in and directly drove off to the field. I arrived at the field pretty darn early considering it was only 7:30 and stay for a good two hours until 9:30, I would have stayed more, finishing off all my charged batteries but I was becoming tired and didn't want to do the drive back home on fumes.

I didn't take the Spitfire this time although it's by far one of my favorite planes at this point in time, instead I took the Racer. The Racer flew great although it seemed a bit under powered on a 3S battery, unlike in the past. The plane was already trimmed out so it flew great right from the start. I did have two hard crashes which I think were related to a LOS issue, considering the plane came spinning to the ground uncontrollably. The damage would have sent me home a few times but I found creative ways to keep the bird flying with crutches :).

Getting more time on this bird this morning allowed me to understand it’s flight characteristics. Understand that this bird needs about 65% throttle to cruise under stable control, and that flying with anything under that will put you at risk of tip stalling. I also managed to do some very stable fast low passes and generally got some good stick time and practice. Again no videos, just wanted wanted to go out and have fun, kinda get back to track after such a long time away from the field; if things work out then I’ll try hitting the field again tomorrow :).
Sounds like a blast!

Jimun

Elite member

Great to here you are free. California is wanting to keep us in till June 19th. I don't think that will work, people are getting restless.
Glad you had another good day flying. :)

mayan

Legendary member
I just finished repairing the Racer and boy I am surprised it even flew the last battery I put inside a 4S. The plane was pretty beat up from every single direction possible. The front slip holding the power pod was pretty much holding by a tiny bit of foam. The sides next to the wings were smashed and had holes in them. The firewall was lose and the tail boom was bending right behind the wing. Horrible condition but tomorrow it will fly again that’s a promise :).

mayan

Legendary member
Great to here you are free. California is wanting to keep us in till June 19th. I don't think that will work, people are getting restless.
Glad you had another good day flying. :)
We are not really free but just a moment from there. Sunday all the house distance limitations should be officially removed but for now I am going with this is a sport and it’s allowed story :).

mayan

Legendary member
So I didn't get the chance to go to the field yesterday like I wanted I was just to tired so I decided to stayed at home and rest. I wanted to go this morning after our weekly outing to the City Park but it was just to hot so I gave up on that too. I did get to fly the DR-1 at the park today and was dieing from heat so I wasn't to stressed about going. Here is a video from this morning at the park I was practicing passes between the metal polls, enjoy.

I also realised that I am not in the mood to build new planes lately like I used to at work so instead I am using the time to go back and watch all the FT episodes 9 years back. I've watched about 48 videos till now so have about 1152 left to go :). Tomorrow I will be heading to the field, with a ton of batteries, now all I have to do is decided what planes to take.

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Glad you got out and did some flying and that things are loosening up there. :D

You mentioned something that I have been pondering as well. Go to the field without the intention of filming anything. :) Just takes away one worry/distraction while you're there trying to have fun and learning the characteristics of your planes. I may try and do it as well from time to time.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday I went to the field and despite a bunch of mishaps had a great time. The day began with a rain that started just as I finished packing the car. There was a moment when I debated if to go or not but decided to just go considering I was already up, dressed and at the car. I also managed to convince a friend to tag along so I was definitely not backing out now. On the way to the field the rain didn’t stop in fact it seemed to be quite strong, but it was all a big show because a few moments after I got to there the rain stopped.

Happy with the situation I started preparing the Spitfire for a maiden with a 3S battery inside. The maiden went great but considering I finally had a friend tag along something bad was surely going to happen. I flew the Spitfire like I stole it doing fast and slow low passes, low loops and rolls. It was after I recovered from a lost of orientation that my attempt at an inverted low pass wing tipped me into the ground, which caused the firewall to part from the power pod.

Since my field repair hot glue gun isn’t working I had to improvise a repair and used a hot glue stick and lighter to get the job done instead. The battery was empty too so that went out and a new one went in a 4S this time :). Up we went again with a quick circuit around the field and suddenly silence and something came flying out of the plane taking a slow fall to the ground. Luckily I was able to land the plane as I still had power on the servos and ran to check what happened. At first I thought that only the prop came loose because of the slow fall to the ground but when I got to the plane I found out the entire motor was missing. I searched for the motor for a while but couldn’t find it, so I took a break and went to fly something else.

Next in line was the FT Stem Charlie, flying with a 3 blade 5x4.5 prop and a 1000mah 3S battery was nosy enough to draw in a crowd for my head over low passes show off. All of which went great until the battery was empty and I brought the plane down for a landing. At that point one of the people watching came up and asked if I built them myself and if I was selling them. The answer to the first was easy the answer to the second a little less. Never knew what to answer to that question, never knew how to price it, if to see which or without electronics? Maybe the way to go is charge for flying training, and make the build process part of it? Don’t know, but one way or the other I gave him my number and told him to talk to me. Here is a short video of the one of the head over low passes that I did, enjoy.

Having a crowd made me go all in and take out the FT Goblin with a 4S battery. The Goblin flight was fast, short and scary; the plane was uncontrollable and crashed out of sight a few hundred meters away from where I was. The damage well let’s just say that it doesn’t look good but I still haven’t checked it out.

3E8E3F15-3498-4E09-A699-43C52CB50A30.jpeg
7CB55EC6-4C92-4F1D-A097-2BDBA82D4548.jpeg
94E1A039-204D-4596-919C-C78FEC6A0A25.jpeg

At the end of all this I went out for another search around the field for my missing motor. After exactly 50 minutes of weaving the field back and forth I found it, my missing motor and prop in perfectly good condition :). Lucky the ground was soft because of the rain at the beginning of the day and that cushioned the fall.

199A2985-2008-4A6D-A8FE-E23DE6C89EF4.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yesterday I went to the field and despite a bunch of mishaps had a great time. The day began with a rain that started just as I finished packing the car. There was a moment when I debated if to go or not but decided to just go considering I was already up, dressed and at the car. I also managed to convince a friend to tag along so I was definitely not backing out now. On the way to the field the rain didn’t stop in fact it seemed to be quite strong, but it was all a big show because a few moments after I got to there the rain stopped.

Happy with the situation I started preparing the Spitfire for a maiden with a 3S battery inside. The maiden went great but considering I finally had a friend tag along something bad was surely going to happen. I flew the Spitfire like I stole it doing fast and slow low passes, low loops and rolls. It was after I recovered from a lost of orientation that my attempt at an inverted low pass wing tipped me into the ground, which caused the firewall to part from the power pod.

Since my field repair hot glue gun isn’t working I had to improvise a repair and used a hot glue stick and lighter to get the job done instead. The battery was empty too so that went out and a new one went in a 4S this time :). Up we went again with a quick circuit around the field and suddenly silence and something came flying out of the plane taking a slow fall to the ground. Luckily I was able to land the plane as I still had power on the servos and ran to check what happened. At first I thought that only the prop came loose because of the slow fall to the ground but when I got to the plane I found out the entire motor was missing. I searched for the motor for a while but couldn’t find it, so I took a break and went to fly something else.

Next in line was the FT Stem Charlie, flying with a 3 blade 5x4.5 prop and a 1000mah 3S battery was nosy enough to draw in a crowd for my head over low passes show off. All of which went great until the battery was empty and I brought the plane down for a landing. At that point one of the people watching came up and asked if I built them myself and if I was selling them. The answer to the first was easy the answer to the second a little less. Never knew what to answer to that question, never knew how to price it, if to see which or without electronics? Maybe the way to go is charge for flying training, and make the build process part of it? Don’t know, but one way or the other I gave him my number and told him to talk to me. Here is a short video of the one of the head over low passes that I did, enjoy.

Having a crowd made me go all in and take out the FT Goblin with a 4S battery. The Goblin flight was fast, short and scary; the plane was uncontrollable and crashed out of sight a few hundred meters away from where I was. The damage well let’s just say that it doesn’t look good but I still haven’t checked it out.

View attachment 168509 View attachment 168510 View attachment 168511

At the end of all this I went out for another search around the field for my missing motor. After exactly 50 minutes of weaving the field back and forth I found it, my missing motor and prop in perfectly good condition :). Lucky the ground was soft because of the rain at the beginning of the day and that cushioned the fall.

View attachment 168513
I loved the low passes! And I’m glad you found the motor!