The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Quick question for you all. In regards to an issue I have with the rudder of the mini edge see here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/servo-jitters.58097/

I think the problem is the large control surface and the torque the servo can produce. So thinking of changing it to a 9g servo. Question is, will a 9g servo on one side of the fuselage have a major effect of the plane in flight? Do I need to change both tail servos to 9g?

What’s your thoughts?
The weight difference so close to the central axis of the plane is minuscule! it will work and there will be no noticeable balance issue!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The weight difference so close to the central axis of the plane is minuscule! it will work and there will be no noticeable balance issue!

Have fun!
Thank you @Hai-Lee. Such would have been my guess, but it was only that, so I declined to comment. I was worried that even though it's only a few grams, since he's trying to 3D it might be enough to make things more difficult. I keep forgetting how forgiving these airframes can be. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you @Hai-Lee. Such would have been my guess, but it was only that, so I declined to comment. I was worried that even though it's only a few grams, since he's trying to 3D it might be enough to make things more difficult. I keep forgetting how forgiving these airframes can be. :)
I have in the past ended up removing a tail boom mounted servo, (through one side), and left the other in position on the opposite side. Had a dead servo so I fixed the rudder and flew the bird "Yank and Bank".

In addition if you are too lazy to electrically reverse a servo or cannot buy a reverse servo you can fit the servo offset in position to get the proper direction of movement. This is quite common on commercial foam entry level gliders nowadays. The weight imbalance between wings has no effect at all.

I have tried both imbalance scenarios and there was no noticeable effect!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips @Hai-Lee that was my guess too and so I changed it. Guess what? The servo jitters issue also stopped so my guess about the size of the control surface vs the servo torque was also correct, I am happy :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
Get in the habit of checking your lateral balance, even a little more glue on one side of the wing can make it unbalanced. The few grams of the servo won't effect your plane but if you do check it can help with your build process, not that you need any help there ;) .

mayan

Legendary member
“Sun is shining, the weather is good, yeah....”

What a day, and a blast of good time :)! Sorry no videos :(. I got up late so was in a bit of a rush this morning to drop of the kids at school in time, we made it. After dropping off the kids at school I went home to get ready to go to the field. Having organized my back pack last night to save time in the morning there wasn’t much to pack, apart from my Tx, planes and batteries. Put everything next to the door and quickly went to change into long clothes even though the temperature was climbing towards 31C/88F b/c the snakes are starting to come out of their burrows, and I would hate to have to get myself to the hospital.

When arriving at the field the sun was already up high in the sky and there was very little to no wind blowing, maybe a gust here and there but still not something strong. Is that good or bad? I haven’t decided but one thing I know for sure, next time I go to the field I need to remember to take a hat and dbl the amount of water! The first plane I was going to fly was the TT, so I did a CRAP check on it, connected the battery/prop and went flying.

There was no trimming to do b/c the plane was already trimmed from the last time I went flying. I practiced flying leveled circuits, 8 figures, loops, rolls and barrel rolls; I even tried some fast low passes over head. Coming in low from the right, leveling out, throttling up, and breaking back to the right while pulling up when I’ve come close enough to myself. It was very comforting to see and feel in control of the plane, especially since I flew three 3S 800mah batteries one after the other without a single crash; not b/c of any mistake on my side or an LOS issue (the hack I did for the anthena must have worked). There was some minor damage to the airframe b/c of the dry, hard ground at the field, but nothing that needs any real repairing though, maybe some re-enforcing only.

48FBC788-E71B-4C69-AFDA-F6B6ED57AED4.jpeg

A62AA43C-7404-406C-B7E1-C94908AC2420.jpeg

6A7A5761-B3B3-49BE-9D54-C93FA7DADCED.jpeg

1D5F0BD9-64C0-45AC-BFAB-6C5C564F9B2A.jpeg

After flying 3 batteries straight on the TT I decided I’d fly my three 3S 1000mah batteries on the Mini Edge. So I packed up the TT and started preparing the Mini Edge for a first maiden, the maiden was so so. The plane flew and flew good but my control of it was not even close to the ability that I had proven to have flying the TT. Shortly after the first launch I lost control of the plane due to over controlling and crashed it quite hard. The damage seemed to be cosmetic only that is until I was about the launch the plane for the second time and realized that the power pod was disconnected from its mount. That was a sign for me to take a water break, to evaluate the damage and decide if I can fix this at the field.

After evaluating the damage I decided to try and fix it at the field so I pulled out my tiny battery powered hot glue gun and started fixing the damage. Within 10 minutes I was back in the air, however was still having a hard time controlling the plane even though I was flying using the bottom hole in the servo arm, the one closest to the gear. I thought this would make controlling the plane a little easier maybe a little less responsive, it might have but I can’t say for sure. What I can say for sure is that this plane is fast even at half throttle the plane was speeding around the field. I tried doing a few leveled circuits around the field but always found myself belly crashing/landing hard into the ground after a few circuits. I didn’t get to fly much until the power pod got disconnected again and one of the aileron servos stopped working, this time I decided to wait until I get home to fix it. I did have a spare servo so I could fix that, but was more afraid that the power pod would break again which could eventually lead to a disaster.

This is the Mini Edge before it’s first maiden.
561DADAE-6E39-4F11-AA15-3F8F131DFF55.jpeg

And this is the current damage that needs to be repaired.
624D4168-6E87-4C2F-887A-1E1DAAF8D2DB.jpeg

393B23F5-B86F-4D0C-BC80-C1D9A9D12AA3.jpeg

99F0576C-3BFA-4AF4-98D2-818B72217E8F.jpeg

4EBE4A0F-A815-49F6-B159-0F61FCA21EC3.jpeg

BBEC9A85-FFA7-4863-A1B1-96EA8C7B6466.jpeg

It’s all repairable but was just annoying that it cut my day short. I haven’t gotten around to repairing the damages yet on any of my planes but I will tomorrow afternoon when I get back for work b/c I plan to go flying Friday and Saturday. Over the next few days I’ll also add a sum up post for the Mini Edge Build thread that I have giving all the details about the build some tips and an overall review of the plane flying characteristics, so keep an eye out for that :). Any how after such a long day I got to get so rest so more tomorrow :).

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Looking at you elevator servo/horn setup I doubt I could fly it successfully either!

Drill another hole for the pushrod in the control horn as far from the elevator/control surface as is practicable. With the current setup your control surface throws are still huge considering that you are not using any Expo. The current hole used in the control horn is half of the horn height and so fitting the pushrod in a new hole much higher on the control horn will markedly reduce the throws and therefore control surface response and improve control massively.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
“Sun is shining, the weather is good, yeah....”

What a day, and a blast of good time :)! Sorry no videos :(. I got up late so was in a bit of a rush this morning to drop of the kids at school in time, we made it. After dropping off the kids at school I went home to get ready to go to the field. Having organized my back pack last night to save time in the morning there wasn’t much to pack, apart from my Tx, planes and batteries. Put everything next to the door and quickly went to change into long clothes even though the temperature was climbing towards 31C/88F b/c the snakes are starting to come out of their burrows, and I would hate to have to get myself to the hospital.

When arriving at the field the sun was already up high in the sky and there was very little to no wind blowing, maybe a gust here and there but still not something strong. Is that good or bad? I haven’t decided but one thing I know for sure, next time I go to the field I need to remember to take a hat and dbl the amount of water! The first plane I was going to fly was the TT, so I did a CRAP check on it, connected the battery/prop and went flying.

There was no trimming to do b/c the plane was already trimmed from the last time I went flying. I practiced flying leveled circuits, 8 figures, loops, rolls and barrel rolls; I even tried some fast low passes over head. Coming in low from the right, leveling out, throttling up, and breaking back to the right while pulling up when I’ve come close enough to myself. It was very comforting to see and feel in control of the plane, especially since I flew three 3S 800mah batteries one after the other without a single crash; not b/c of any mistake on my side or an LOS issue (the hack I did for the anthena must have worked). There was some minor damage to the airframe b/c of the dry, hard ground at the field, but nothing that needs any real repairing though, maybe some re-enforcing only.

View attachment 130269
View attachment 130270
View attachment 130271
View attachment 130273

After flying 3 batteries straight on the TT I decided I’d fly my three 3S 1000mah batteries on the Mini Edge. So I packed up the TT and started preparing the Mini Edge for a first maiden, the maiden was so so. The plane flew and flew good but my control of it was not even close to the ability that I had proven to have flying the TT. Shortly after the first launch I lost control of the plane due to over controlling and crashed it quite hard. The damage seemed to be cosmetic only that is until I was about the launch the plane for the second time and realized that the power pod was disconnected from its mount. That was a sign for me to take a water break, to evaluate the damage and decide if I can fix this at the field.

After evaluating the damage I decided to try and fix it at the field so I pulled out my tiny battery powered hot glue gun and started fixing the damage. Within 10 minutes I was back in the air, however was still having a hard time controlling the plane even though I was flying using the bottom hole in the servo arm, the one closest to the gear. I thought this would make controlling the plane a little easier maybe a little less responsive, it might have but I can’t say for sure. What I can say for sure is that this plane is fast even at half throttle the plane was speeding around the field. I tried doing a few leveled circuits around the field but always found myself belly crashing/landing hard into the ground after a few circuits. I didn’t get to fly much until the power pod got disconnected again and one of the aileron servos stopped working, this time I decided to wait until I get home to fix it. I did have a spare servo so I could fix that, but was more afraid that the power pod would break again which could eventually lead to a disaster.

This is the Mini Edge before it’s first maiden.
View attachment 130285

And this is the current damage that needs to be repaired.
View attachment 130284
View attachment 130287
View attachment 130288
View attachment 130286
View attachment 130289

It’s all repairable but was just annoying that it cut my day short. I haven’t gotten around to repairing the damages yet on any of my planes but I will tomorrow afternoon when I get back for work b/c I plan to go flying Friday and Saturday. Over the next few days I’ll also add a sum up post for the Mini Edge Build thread that I have giving all the details about the build some tips and an overall review of the plane flying characteristics, so keep an eye out for that :). Any how after such a long day I got to get so rest so more tomorrow :).
Another awesome day for you, my friend! You and the TT have become close friends. It does sound like your antenna hack worked! I'm glad the damage from LANDING (not crashing, where have those wonderful days gone?:( :p) was so minimal.

Thinking about it, the TT could probably handle a couple popsicle sticks glued to the bottom of the front end like skids. You wouldn't want them to protrude off the front, because they'd catch, but they might help save the underside of the nose.

As far as I'm concerned your Mini Edge project is coming along nicely. Let's face it, if @Hai-Lee says he couldn't fly it? You are doing SUPERB! :D Keep on working on it. I feel like your really close to getting it right.

Come to think of it, I've got a plane I'm supposed to be working on...

mayan

Legendary member
The current hole used in the control horn is half of the horn height and so fitting the pushrod in a new hole much higher on the control horn will markedly reduce the throws and therefore control surface response and improve control massively.
Is there a way to do the change on the servo arm instead?

As far as I'm concerned your Mini Edge project is coming along nicely. Let's face it, if @Hai-Lee says he couldn't fly it? You are doing SUPERB! :D Keep on working on it. I feel like your really close to getting it right.
Thanks I really just think I need to calm down my controls and that will do the trick, only bumper is that I have to wait a bit before I can order a new Tx and if I am patient enough I might just be able to get two so I will also be able to buddy box with the kids.

Wildthing

Legendary member

Thanks I really just think I need to calm down my controls and that will do the trick, only bumper is that I have to wait a bit before I can order a new Tx and if I am patient enough I might just be able to get two so I will also be able to buddy box with the kids.

As Hai-Lee stated moving the holes farther out will lessen your deflection rate . Measure your travel now from neutral to full then
drill a hole towards the outside of the control horn and then hook up your linkage and measure again. Control surface will not move anywhere near as far.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

I do not know if you have the room to drill another hole in the servo arm.

You could try something like this if you are unable to drill into the control horn for any reason.
Insert pic here!

Been trying for an hour to upload a pic.

maybe later if the connection gets better!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
This what I had setup the other day.
526830A3-1BE4-417F-9B48-0EF466A29D6B.jpeg

21874EB0-E1A8-43AA-9E53-DF6E4FFE234B.jpeg

Any suggestions as to what change on the servo arm can reduce the deflection and make the plane more docile?

I also did the repairs on the both the TT and Mini Edge 540.

FF28E7EC-5301-42B0-86EC-06ADC512F55E.jpeg

1826B315-71FC-420D-BF6D-6D163D1DDDF1.jpeg

6CF654D5-CF2B-4948-B545-27790111905C.jpeg

64227549-045F-44C5-B79A-D3086C9DB5A7.jpeg

And this is the Mini Edge fixes had to give it an operation to be able to reach the power pod :).

A6B97A69-F2F0-4E12-A012-3D84EB17C73D.jpeg

9F09D7AB-B2D9-4DF7-8EB5-20FDBE026D33.jpeg

D1BFAC47-8C8F-4792-ACE3-FD06EDBCC981.jpeg

I even gave it an additional decoration :).
984E0073-E660-472C-8BF4-B5881649BB8C.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
I see the holes in the servo arm look dirty, did you just move that rod or is it where you have always had it ? If you just moved it I would try flying it first.

My thought and it looks like there should be room for one more hole on the control horn,
mayan.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - love your work - I have never lasted long enough at the field to use up one battery! :D
I’ve seen your videos and flying skills and I know you can last one battery just have to be a little more crazy like @buzzbomb and a little more daring. Let go of the fear that the plane will get stuck in a tree or anything else or go the hill you tried to SS on and fly directly over the ocean :). Of course don’t forget to water proof electronics first just in case you have to take a dive :).

I had that fear too until I had a plane stuck in a tree, then I let that fear go. I closed a circle when felt comfortable enough to go flying where I first failed.

Trust me that once you’ll let go everything will go smoother and will most likely have to buy more batteries :).

I see the holes in the servo arm look dirty, did you just move that rod or is it where you have always had it ? If you just moved it I would try flying it first.

My thought and it looks like there should be room for one more hole on the control horn, View attachment 130365
So middle hole out of the the three on the servo arm and top most on the control horn?

FDS

Elite member
Right at the top would be my choice if there was too much deflection, then nearest the servo on the other end.
You need to get that new TX sorted, that will save you so much trouble.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I’ve seen your videos and flying skills and I know you can last one battery just have to be a little more crazy like @buzzbomb and a little more daring. Let go of the fear that the plane will get stuck in a tree or anything else or go the hill you tried to SS on and fly directly over the ocean :). Of course don’t forget to water proof electronics first just in case you have to take a dive :).

I had that fear too until I had a plane stuck in a tree, then I let that fear go. I closed a circle when felt comfortable enough to go flying where I first failed.

Trust me that once you’ll let go everything will go smoother and will most likely have to buy more batteries :).

So middle hole out of the the three on the servo arm and top most on the control horn?

Just leave it where it is on the servo arm, then add the hole in the control horn. Your thumb movement on the stick won't be as touchy