The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not know if you have the room to drill another hole in the servo arm.

You could try something like this if you are unable to drill into the control horn for any reason.
Insert pic here!

Been trying for an hour to upload a pic.

maybe later if the connection gets better!

Have fun!
Throw Reduction-1.jpg

It finally loaded after multiple size reductions and more than 20 attempts!

Have fun!

FDS

Elite member
An omega bend in the control wire might help too, it gives a bit of flex that can soften the control response.

mayan

Legendary member
I think I have a good idea in regards to all the servo/control horn setup. I think I am going to try put the big FT control horns which have 3 holes in them. I’ll have to modify them a bit but think that will work what’s your thoughts?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think I have a good idea in regards to all the servo/control horn setup. I think I am going to try put the big FT control horns which have 3 holes in them. I’ll have to modify them a bit but think that will work what’s your thoughts?
Measure the distance from the control surface to where your hole is now on the control horn and compare that to your other ones, the farther away from the surface (or hinge line) the less throw. Closer to the servo the less throw.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Should work fine just be sure the holes line up with the hinge line. If they aren’t, you will get slightly more throw in one direction.

<edit>
Just watched video myself, yea, what he said! 😂

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks again for all the wonderful tips. This is the change that I did on the rudder and elevator still need to do the ailerons too. Deflection rates went down tremendously :). Will have to find a day to play around with this to see what positions give what deflections but that’s for a different day :).

5E8DC7F9-7B30-459C-A42E-913B2A06829B.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Once all done and trimmed in and if by chance you don't think you have enough authority then move that control rod out one hole on the servo arm. You will have to adjust you thumbs and brain because you will know have to move the sticks farther for the same reaction like you are use to. I think you will find it a more relaxing flight and not so much on the edge of things.

mayan

Legendary member
Once all done and trimmed in and if by chance you don't think you have enough authority then move that control rod out one hole on the servo arm. You will have to adjust you thumbs and brain because you will know have to move the sticks farther for the same reaction like you are use to. I think you will find it a more relaxing flight and not so much on the edge of things.
Thanks for the tip. I am sure you know the Edge is a fast plane and as per its name is edgy, any slight stick movement makes the plane respond quicker than my brain can grasp. Actually hoping for a more controlled flight, I am sure the plane will still respond fast.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday morning (Saturday) I got up at 8:30 with my wife who had to go to work, so that I can finish changing the ailerons control horns to the new version. After I finished I wanted to go to the field with the kids but the area start to get a bit tense and my wife prefered that I stated at home close to shelter, so I did. When she came home we had lunch, and I asked if it was OK that I go to the field alone for a bit, as I don't have much time to go to the field this coming week. She agree so I packed up and left, taking with me the TT and Mini Edge. It was much windier than it was in the morning and was blowing at 21 km/hr SE. I started with the TT like always, helps me get comfortable, again I flew 3 batteries without crashing or having an LOS issue, feeling good about it :). I couldn't do much aerobatics because the wind was just too strong, but I did have fantastic landing all which were close to me.

Next I switched over to the Mini Edge, which was way more controlable than before :), so once again thank you all. I flew around the field for a bit trying to stay in leveled circuts but an LOS issue made me break the prop and bottom of the fuselage that holds the motor mount. I decided not to fix this at the field for two reasons; one I had no more 9x4.5 props, two I don't like the hot glue sticks that I have for the battery powered hot glue gun (they are the milked base glue sticks and it feels like their joints are not strong at all). BTW also today I busted a servo on the wing and had to get it replaced. When I got home I decided that I would quickly repair the damage and had to give the plane another surgury :/.

IMG-1395.JPG

IMG-1396.JPG

IMG-1397.JPG

Sorry no video,I tried get a few ppl to come with me but none wanted to :(. In the morning I'll be after a night shift but I am really thinking that I might go to fly for an hour before I go to bed after droping the kids off at school, we'll see :).

mayan

Legendary member
I decided not to go flying in the end cause I still had a long ahead of me. I won’t be able to go to the field today or tomorrow but will try to go again on Tuesday. I really want to get more practice on the Mini Edge.

Vimana89

Legendary member
“Sun is shining, the weather is good, yeah....”

What a day, and a blast of good time :)! Sorry no videos :(. I got up late so was in a bit of a rush this morning to drop of the kids at school in time, we made it. After dropping off the kids at school I went home to get ready to go to the field. Having organized my back pack last night to save time in the morning there wasn’t much to pack, apart from my Tx, planes and batteries. Put everything next to the door and quickly went to change into long clothes even though the temperature was climbing towards 31C/88F b/c the snakes are starting to come out of their burrows, and I would hate to have to get myself to the hospital.

When arriving at the field the sun was already up high in the sky and there was very little to no wind blowing, maybe a gust here and there but still not something strong. Is that good or bad? I haven’t decided but one thing I know for sure, next time I go to the field I need to remember to take a hat and dbl the amount of water! The first plane I was going to fly was the TT, so I did a CRAP check on it, connected the battery/prop and went flying.

There was no trimming to do b/c the plane was already trimmed from the last time I went flying. I practiced flying leveled circuits, 8 figures, loops, rolls and barrel rolls; I even tried some fast low passes over head. Coming in low from the right, leveling out, throttling up, and breaking back to the right while pulling up when I’ve come close enough to myself. It was very comforting to see and feel in control of the plane, especially since I flew three 3S 800mah batteries one after the other without a single crash; not b/c of any mistake on my side or an LOS issue (the hack I did for the anthena must have worked). There was some minor damage to the airframe b/c of the dry, hard ground at the field, but nothing that needs any real repairing though, maybe some re-enforcing only.

View attachment 130269
View attachment 130270
View attachment 130271
View attachment 130273

After flying 3 batteries straight on the TT I decided I’d fly my three 3S 1000mah batteries on the Mini Edge. So I packed up the TT and started preparing the Mini Edge for a first maiden, the maiden was so so. The plane flew and flew good but my control of it was not even close to the ability that I had proven to have flying the TT. Shortly after the first launch I lost control of the plane due to over controlling and crashed it quite hard. The damage seemed to be cosmetic only that is until I was about the launch the plane for the second time and realized that the power pod was disconnected from its mount. That was a sign for me to take a water break, to evaluate the damage and decide if I can fix this at the field.

After evaluating the damage I decided to try and fix it at the field so I pulled out my tiny battery powered hot glue gun and started fixing the damage. Within 10 minutes I was back in the air, however was still having a hard time controlling the plane even though I was flying using the bottom hole in the servo arm, the one closest to the gear. I thought this would make controlling the plane a little easier maybe a little less responsive, it might have but I can’t say for sure. What I can say for sure is that this plane is fast even at half throttle the plane was speeding around the field. I tried doing a few leveled circuits around the field but always found myself belly crashing/landing hard into the ground after a few circuits. I didn’t get to fly much until the power pod got disconnected again and one of the aileron servos stopped working, this time I decided to wait until I get home to fix it. I did have a spare servo so I could fix that, but was more afraid that the power pod would break again which could eventually lead to a disaster.

This is the Mini Edge before it’s first maiden.
View attachment 130285

And this is the current damage that needs to be repaired.
View attachment 130284
View attachment 130287
View attachment 130288
View attachment 130286
View attachment 130289

It’s all repairable but was just annoying that it cut my day short. I haven’t gotten around to repairing the damages yet on any of my planes but I will tomorrow afternoon when I get back for work b/c I plan to go flying Friday and Saturday. Over the next few days I’ll also add a sum up post for the Mini Edge Build thread that I have giving all the details about the build some tips and an overall review of the plane flying characteristics, so keep an eye out for that :). Any how after such a long day I got to get so rest so more tomorrow :).
The edge looks intimidating to me. I haven't seen one fly, I'm going to look at some vids but I suspect a sleek mid wing plane like that to have a big flight envelop, low drag, and super responsive controls. I'm still having trouble more or less with elevon or AET slender delta builds for similar reasons, so I built the RETjet and it flies great, like a slender delta trainer if that's even possible. I now have footage of it on my YouTube channel. Looking forward to see your mini Edge fly when you get more comfortable with it!

mayan

Legendary member
The edge looks intimidating to me. I haven't seen one fly, I'm going to look at some vids but I suspect a sleek mid wing plane like that to have a big flight envelop, low drag, and super responsive controls. I'm still having trouble more or less with elevon or AET slender delta builds for similar reasons, so I built the RETjet and it flies great, like a slender delta trainer if that's even possible. I now have footage of it on my YouTube channel. Looking forward to see your mini Edge fly when you get more comfortable with it!
Now that I managed to reduce the deflection rates its more controlable. I hope to get a few more flights with it on Tuesday, I hope to be able to fly 3 batteries on it like I do on the TT :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
Now that I managed to reduce the deflection rates its more controlable. I hope to get a few more flights with it on Tuesday, I hope to be able to fly 3 batteries on it like I do on the TT :).

If you find that there is still to much deflection you could install taller control horns and move the control rods even farther away from the surface.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday after a long time waiting I finally managed to get someone to come with me to the field and film me. We were both short on time so I started off flying the Mini Edge. Was hoping for a good video to sum up my Mini Edge 540 Build Thread, but that didn't come out like I wanted. My friend stoped the movie short and a bit later I crashed due to a loss of orientation. Here is the plane before it's maiden, must I mention that this plane already has some repairs under it's belt.

5ef9d5ff-39f9-4011-bbe0-a1252a1bcfef.JPG

And here is the bit of video that I do have.

My lost of orientation led to this.
c4dd410a-2e85-41bc-8af6-0b5bf7674f81.JPG

The Mini Edge 540 was obviously done for the day, no worries though I'll try to fix it, and if I can't then I'll just rebuild it :). Still having time on our hands I decided to pull out the Tiny Trainer. Not much to say about it expect for fun fun fun! Was pushing my luck some (trying to show off :)) so I had some crashes, broke a firewall but other than that no damage done. Swapped out a motor which I had ready in advance and kept flying. Here is a picture of it before maiden.

56D0BF17-FB43-42AB-9076-ADD6D172C971.jpeg

And here are two videos that I have.