The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 where have you been buddy? I haven't heard from you in a long time. PM me I'd love to hear more about what you've been flying. Too bad you missed my other thread, it might have helped you with the learning. Any how stick to this one it will be interesting :).
After the Build-ruary burnout I took a bit of a break, and got a couple RTF planes to learn the flying side of things. I have got away from safe mode stuff, and picked up a Hobby Zone RTF champ, and it is an outstanding trainer. I have a thread where I reviewed it in depth. I had a couple early crashes that repaired easy, even a wing busted clean off. Now, I rarely have a rough landing and can do loops, tight turns, wide turns, short takeoff from a rough gravel path. Just yesterday I received a super micro 2ch outdoor plane I ordered for $27, RTF with transmitter. It's no champ, but It's a good flyer, it teaches you to use throttle more because throttle is pitch. I have also reviewed that one, and although it can't do aerobatics, it's fun because it's more of a challenge to fly properly. I'll keep you updated, I'll PM you any links you might want and let you know how my stuff goes. hopefully tonight I get some build work done.

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb so as you see you are in the prays of all of us :).

I didn’t get much done tonight was feeling a bit lazy. I’ve added the servos to the Tedge, and decided to take the power pod with the F pack motor and 20A ESC from my TT, just being a little lazy to solder new electronics.

Other than that I checked what models I am missing on this list: List of all the FT Models with electronics required so that I can update it. Hoping to finish updating it later today.

Haven’t gotten around to the Quick Trick yet maybe later today as well :). Any how off to drop the kids off at school and going to get some sleep.

PS- I need more FB, going to pick some up later today so that I’ll be able to start building 3 new TTs.

mayan

Legendary member
After a few long days of 12 hours night shift I had to take a break and get some good rest. My wife fancied me with some more sleep time and took the kids to a threatment that they had letting me get some more rest. So now I 3/4 full of energy which is enough to get up get some planes out of the closest to make sure they work properly and prepare them for Saturday. I’ll also start charging up my batteries so I won’t have to do it in a rush on the last minute. I let my wife go to sleep took the kids under my watch and went to fix some planes :). More later...

mayan

Legendary member
Recently I have been having problems with some servos on a few models, I have changed out the servos but the problem remains. I have done some other checks and also the problem stays the same. I have a thread going on about it and was comforted to know that it has happened to others. You can see the problem and read about others experience here: servo jitters.

Over the last 2 days I have been out of it, having slept only 8 hours during a 48 hour time period. With that being said and a mistake that I have done with the wing spars of the Quick Trick that model won’t be ready for tomorrow’s outing.

I do plan to take quite a few planes with me to the field though. I plan to take the TT, SpiTTT, MMM TT (Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer), Tedge (TT/Edge crossover), Mini Scout and my new trainer plane the Mini Edge 540. Hoping to get the family to come with me, maybe get my wife to film me.

I have few challenges that I have to complete before the package from Kilroy arrives and then I’ll be busy with that challenge which should be a handful. I have to follow @buzzbomb and @basslord1124 and complete the FT Mini Scout newbie challenge. I want to post another submit to the Fly It Inverted, The Challenge, flying the SpiTTT. I want to give the MMM TT and Tedge a first and proper first maiden, if the handling of the planes will be good I’ll create build threads for them and maybe even submit some videos of the maidens to the Getting stupid with the TT challenge. Last but not least I want to just practice flying the Mini Edge 540. My last flight with it was so thrilling and the control I felt over the plane was so satisfying that by now I have completely fell head over feet in love with it.

Kind of getting the feeling like that is too much planes and plans for one outting. What’s your thoughts?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Recently I have been having problems with some servos on a few models, I have changed out the servos but the problem remains. I have done some other checks and also the problem stays the same. I have a thread going on about it and was comforted to know that it has happened to others. You can see the problem and read about others experience here: servo jitters.

Over the last 2 days I have been out of it, having slept only 8 hours during a 48 hour time period. With that being said and a mistake that I have done with the wing spars of the Quick Trick that model won’t be ready for tomorrow’s outing.

I do plan to take quite a few planes with me to the field though. I plan to take the TT, SpiTTT, MMM TT (Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer), Tedge (TT/Edge crossover), Mini Scout and my new trainer plane the Mini Edge 540. Hoping to get the family to come with me, maybe get my wife to film me.

I have few challenges that I have to complete before the package from Kilroy arrives and then I’ll be busy with that challenge which should be a handful. I have to follow @buzzbomb and @basslord1124 and complete the FT Mini Scout newbie challenge. I want to post another submit to the Fly It Inverted, The Challenge, flying the SpiTTT. I want to give the MMM TT and Tedge a first and proper first maiden, if the handling of the planes will be good I’ll create build threads for them and maybe even submit some videos of the maidens to the Getting stupid with the TT challenge. Last but not least I want to just practice flying the Mini Edge 540. My last flight with it was so thrilling and the control I felt over the plane was so satisfying that by now I have completely fell head over feet in love with it.

Kind of getting the feeling like that is too much planes and plans for one outting. What’s your thoughts?
Simply put what we or I think about the number of planes is not important.
We do this for the fun of it and if you feel the fun is starting to be reduced then slow down a little and enjoy it as much as you can.

Too much too fast can lead to burn out and a serious loss of the enjoyment. I have battled through a number of bouts of lessening of the enjoyment and only by cutting back and concentrating on your PERSONAL enjoyment can you regain the drive that got you started!

Now I take between 4 and 8 planes to the field to fly but NOT to fly them all but to fly what I feel like when I get there. Often I may only fly 2 or 3 but then I do so for maximum enjoyment. (The ones I fly may have more than a single battery put through them though).

So I recommend that you fly what YOU want to fly for as long as you wish to fly. Do not force yourself to fly as it will quickly become a chore and you will fade in desire to continue and possibly even fade from the hobby itself,

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Simply put what we or I think about the number of planes is not important.
We do this for the fun of it and if you feel the fun is starting to be reduced then slow down a little and enjoy it as much as you can.

Too much too fast can lead to burn out and a serious loss of the enjoyment. I have battled through a number of bouts of lessening of the enjoyment and only by cutting back and concentrating on your PERSONAL enjoyment can you regain the drive that got you started!

Now I take between 4 and 8 planes to the field to fly but NOT to fly them all but to fly what I feel like when I get there. Often I may only fly 2 or 3 but then I do so for maximum enjoyment. (The ones I fly may have more than a single battery put through them though).

So I recommend that you fly what YOU want to fly for as long as you wish to fly. Do not force yourself to fly as it will quickly become a chore and you will fade in desire to continue and possibly even fade from the hobby itself,

Have fun!
Thanks for caring my dear friend. Trust that I will enjoy flying them all otherwise I wouldn’t have the want to take them all :). Only thing that would drive away the fun atm is the fact that not all my batteries arrived and that would be the only thing holding me back from flying them all.

I’ll probably start with the maidenning of the new models the MMM TT and Tedge. The MMM TT is well balanced on a 2S 1000mah and 3S 800mah batteries. Having an issue balancing the Tedge, it balances only if the battery is right on the CG which means it will either be on the top or bottom of the plane but one way or the other it will be exposed. Something that I have an issue with, having ruined a couple of batteries by puncturing one of the battery cells on my crashes.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks for caring my dear friend. Trust that I will enjoy flying them all otherwise I wouldn’t have the want to take them all :). Only thing that would drive away the fun atm is the fact that not all my batteries arrived and that would be the only thing holding me back from flying them all.

I’ll probably start with the maidenning of the new models the MMM TT and Tedge. The MMM TT is well balanced on a 2S 1000mah and 3S 800mah batteries. Having an issue balancing the Tedge, it balances only if the battery is right on the CG which means it will either be on the top or bottom of the plane but one way or the other it will be exposed. Something that I have an issue with, having ruined a couple of batteries by puncturing one of the battery cells on my crashes.
There is nothing stopping you from making a cover for the battery using FB, (a sort of belly tank), which you could hold in place with a tape hinge in the front and a skewer at the rear.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
There is nothing stopping you from making a cover for the battery using FB, (a sort of belly tank), which you could hold in place with a tape hinge in the front and a skewer at the rear.

Just a thought!

Have fun!
What is recommend top or bottom?

mayan

Legendary member
Ok well all my batteries are charged up and if all goes well tomorrow I’ll go to the field taking all of these birds and the Mini Scout.

B6BA36CA-BD69-4366-9BE5-91782A92B2BA.jpeg

PS - I checked all the planes control surfaces to make sure they are working properly so I won’t have issues tomorrow.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What is recommend top or bottom?
If you place it on top you can make ot look like a false canopy whereas if you fit it under it becomes a belly tank, (which you can add wheels to for an undercarriage).

My preference is to mount under because it adds to the pendulum stability whereas mounted on top it enhances maneuverability by making it just a tad more unstable.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, (perhaps you could try both), as it is you that is flying it!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

I think Hai-Lee has it. You've definitely got the bug, maybe the most of all of us. I don't know of anyone else who is pushing more to do and create than you are. Don't forget to have fun along the way.

Get some darn sleep. Enjoy some quality time with the family. Heck, take them out to eat and talk about what THEY are doing. Reconnect with the ground that you are rooted in. You'll be thinking about plane's the whole time, no help for that, but it's a good idea to just step back when something becomes too much.

PLAY with the planes when you want or are able to. That's right. P.L.A.Y. Go flying, take 'em all if you want to, but nobody is pushing you to design and fly every cool plane on the planet except yourself. There is not a Challenge anyone has thrown out that has an end date.

Enjoy flying for a little bit, Reacquaint yourself with that child-like excitement when the plane is just flying around and you do a loop or something. I LOVE that feeling! Not the feeling of accomplishment you get from flying something or doing something difficult. Just that wonderful "WooHoo!" we get just because we are flying.

There are a lot of people on this Forum who love and respect you. You won't hurt anyone's feelings if you just step back and live a little bit.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks guys. Stepping down from flying today cause the family doesn’t want to come and if they don’t want to come then I rather find something else that they do want to do and do that.
I think my daughter just knocked my wife of the top of the world when she told her that she wants to go with me to the field. The world might have just flipped on itself and we might all go back to the original plans that I had. What a roller coaster?!

mayan

Legendary member
I think my daughter just knocked my wife of the top of the world when she told her that she wants to go with me to the field. The world might have just flipped on itself and we might all go back to the original plans that I had. What a roller coaster?!
So we ended up going to a forest 50 mins drive from our home. The weather was chili but with no rain so we hooked up breakfast and took with us. We arrived the forest and walked for a while until we found a nice place to sit down an eat in between a dozen butterflies.

When we got home I convinced a firend to tag along and come flying with me (more like film me) :). I took a lot of planes and flew nearly all of them. Had problems with most, and things didn't seem to go well. The Mini Scout was acting weird fliping out on me like it was too nose heavy and not trimed, might have been the 3S battery I was using. On the first tries at the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge I was using a 2S 1000mah battery which must have done 2 things, balance the plane better and give me less power. Any how a total failure, read about it and watch the videos here: FT Mini Scout Newbie Challeng.

I tried flying the SpiTTT but also here something was off. It seemed like the plane was climbing with a weird up angle and then stalling. Don't really understand why considering it flew amazing the last time I took it out with me. Also seemed to be fighting some sort of hidden wind as at some points I was having a hard time bringing it back towards me. Realizing that the plane won't fly straight and level I figured I'd play around with it, bringing it down in a spiral until a moment before it hits the ground, flying inverted at low altitude and more. You can read about it and watch the videos here: Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge..

I have maiden the Tedge for the first time but something really weird happened, reminded me of what happened to me with the Simple Soarer. Have a look and tell me what you think? I thought it might be a balance issue but when I stoped and played toss with my friend it glided prefect so I am not sure what happened to it and why it looped back the way it did. Going to have to figure this out sometime.

I also tried flying the Mini Edge V2 but had an issue with the elevator control horn that broke lose, so I couldn't fly it. To close off the day of bad flying I pulled out my TT, had fun flying it in leveled circles until I decided to go inverted and crashed in the middle of the grain field. Spent some long time looking for it with no success, I decided I'd have a smoke and thorttle up hoping the battery buzzer would react and so it did, I found the plane and went hope happy. I have decided though that I will no longer take so many planes with me to thr field, rather enjoy flying 1-2 models at a time instead of taking 5+ and not flying them all or flying very little of each one.