The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
I love your color schemes. I'm just slapping some tape onto my birds. They are beautiful just like they are. :cool: Your taking the family to an airshow! How cool is that! I loved taking my son to the big airshows, when we lived in Virginia Beach. He was too young to remember it, but we had a blast! There used to be an airshow within an hour of here, once a year, then once every two years, then it went away. You'll be making some memories, there. Ya'll have fun!
I was looking for information about the place in english but couldn't find any, the place is actually a museum. I have a picture of myself there when I was a kid, I'll look for it tomorrow if I find it I'll post it.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday after a hard night shift with little to no hours of sleep we went to the IDF Air Force musuem. It was a blast! At least for me it was. I enjoyed looking at the different planes the IDF had once used and read the descriptions about the planes; information regarding where the plane came from and what it was used for and when. We spent more than 3 hours at the musuem walking in between the many different planes that were on show. I took so many pictures of the day, that it's too much to post them all here, so I opened up an album about it for you to see, here.

Yesterday after we got home and the kids fell asleep I pulled out the plans of the Mini Edge the ones that I have traced onto the FB and finished cutting them up into the pieces. The Mini Edge has a lot of pieces so it took me some time to get it finished and once I did it was too late to do anything else. Today after I finished doing a few errants around the house I pulled out the plans pieces that I had cut out for both the TT and Mini Edge and scored them, now all that is left to do is build.

IMG-1038-min.JPG

IMG-1039-min.JPG

IMG-1040-min.JPG

Unlike my previous builds with paint jobs that have all been painted before the build started this time I will be doing the paint job after the build process. I think it's harder to paint after the build is complete because of the 3D shape of the plane, but I might be worng and will find that out when the paint job starts. I have also decided to make some small changes to the paint job for the TT so stay tuned for an update on the paint job.

Now after I got up to date on new threads on the forum and I posted some stuff of my own it's time to stop sitting on the computer and start building. I have the pieces for both the TT and Mini Edge here and will probably start with the TT which I hope to finish building by the end of my night shift. Since I am painting after the build is over I will not be adding the electronics until I finish the paint job.

PS- when I was at the musuem I found this.
IMG-0908-min.JPG

Which reminded me of the paint job that I had given my SpiTTT (the TT warbird twist modifitcation).
206929_66605026f9ca10c12b6aa77906938a35.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looked really smooth, just one to many loops. ;)
*Walks onto the floor dressed as a gentleman of 19th Century England with one hand inside of his petticoat at his chest, and one raised high to gain attention*

I wholeheartedly disagree, sir! Harrumph! Modern science has proven, and I say PROVEN, sir! That one cannot possibly do too many loops! Scientifically impossible, I say to you, sir! The error lies solely in the fact that the ground has moved too close to the plane on what became the final loop. The fault lies NOT with the pilot or the plane! No, sir. The fault lies with the ground moving up to MEET the plane!

The same phenomenon has been scientifically observed and recorded by many varied observers in "Plane Catching Trees." I agree that is a discussion for another day, but the phenomenon remains. It is the fault of neither pilot nor plane, but these obstacles that just rise up from nowhere, and take the joy from our day.

I say "Down with the ground!" Yes! "Down with the ground!" Make it stay where it should be, and not interfere with our ability to do endless loops at our leisure and as we please! The ground should never, I say NEVER rise up like that to meet a plane in a loop. It is a travesty of all that is antigravity, and should not be tolerated! No sir! Not today, not ever! Down with the ground! Hurrah!

*hands at his sides, the orator walks off the floor, triumphantly.*

:p

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
*Walks onto the floor dressed as a gentleman of 19th Century England with one hand inside of his petticoat at his chest, and one raised high to gain attention*

I wholeheartedly disagree, sir! Harrumph! Modern science has proven, and I say PROVEN, sir! That one cannot possibly do too many loops! Scientifically impossible, I say to you, sir! The error lies solely in the fact that the ground has moved too close to the plane on what became the final loop. The fault lies NOT with the pilot or the plane! No, sir. The fault lies with the ground moving up to MEET the plane!

The same phenomenon has been scientifically observed and recorded by many varied observers in "Plane Catching Trees." I agree that is a discussion for another day, but the phenomenon remains. It is the fault of neither pilot nor plane, but these obstacles that just rise up from nowhere, and take the joy from our day.

I say "Down with the ground!" Yes! "Down with the ground!" Make it stay where it should be, and not interfere with our ability to do endless loops at our leisure and as we please! The ground should never, I say NEVER rise up like that to meet a plane in a loop. It is a travesty of all that is antigravity, and should not be tolerated! No sir! Not today, not ever! Down with the ground! Hurrah!

*hands at his sides, the orator walks off the floor, triumphantly.*

:p
You should be a play writer my firend, I can't stop laughing at your texts :).

@sundown57, @Wildthing I guess @buzzbomb is right after all. Trees, ground and other obsticales just keep magenting the planes to them, and boy they can ruin your joy :). No worries about the crash, the never ending loop was my attempt to go crazy :).

mayan

Legendary member
Ok I didn’t get any work done on the mini edge build today, my shift at work was almost over and it made no sense to start a fresh build. I did finish the TT though and started preparing templates for the paint job that I hope to give it tomorrow morning.

668819EA-0EFC-4F12-BFEE-70EA7B176049.jpeg

Any tips about painting a built model? What should I watch out for? Like I mentioned I haven’t painted built models yet because I find it much easier to paint them before building so any tips will be appreciated.

Good night everybody calling this night short.

FDS

Elite member
I just remove the linkage for the ailerons, then use blu tack to mask the servo splines on the wing. At the back you can paint then clean out the control rod slots later. Cover exposed foam with a thin layer of PVA glue to seal it.
As for pre paint prep, I would use a medium to fine Scotchbrite pad to lightly scuff the surface of the foamboard then make lots of thin coats like usual.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ok I didn’t get any work done on the mini edge build today, my shift at work was almost over and it made no sense to start a fresh build. I did finish the TT though and started preparing templates for the paint job that I hope to give it tomorrow morning.

View attachment 129283

Any tips about painting a built model? What should I watch out for? Like I mentioned I haven’t painted built models yet because I find it much easier to paint them before building so any tips will be appreciated.

Good night everybody calling this night short.

I seal all edges with a wipe of a liquid glue. I then wipe the whole model with a sealing layer of varnish.

When painting a fully assembled model I always paint the lightest colours first and when dry I mask off the areas to remain in the light colour and then apply the darker colour/s. Darkest colours cover best and so will hide light colour areas but light colours do not like covering dark colours unless applied very very thickly.

If possible use a number of light coats allowing to dry between coats!

Do not assemble planes such as a TT if the paint is not properly dry or the plane will become glued together by the paint!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Great day today, I am happy! Why? Teaching the kids is going good so far. Their interest seems to grow each time we sit to work on this and that makes me pleased, you can check out the progress here if you'd like. I got a package of goodies today, that was and awesome suprise, one that left this great big grin on my face that probably won't go away any time soon.

I must mention if any of you ever send a package to Israel make sure you send it with the receivers phone number, otherwise the package will sit there waiting to be delivered until the reciever calls to file a claim for it. I must mention that he/she will be on the phone for more than an hour trying to get a hold of them, at least that's what I waited :mad:.

I managed to give my TT a half paint job. Not really happy with the results though :(. Nevermind no one will see those mess ups when it's up in the air :).
IMG-1108.JPG

As I assume you've all figured out by now I have the night shift at work. I just finished getting up to date on the threads on the forum, which I enjoy reading and learning from :) and now it's time to build the FINAL version of Mini Edge. Sorry for having to let you all go but it's 3am and I want to get it all built by 6am a second before the cleaning lady comes in and yells at the mess I leave her to clean. Not really I keep my workspace clean when I finish, when you have two kids you don't want to leave anything behind that is unless you want to play hide and seek with your stuff, not my cup of tea.

Ciao I'm out...

mayan

Legendary member
Just finished my night and going to bed to get a bit of rest. Will probably get up at around 12/13 to finish the decorating the kids TT and maybe mine too. I didn’t finish the build on the Mini Edge but I have done quite a bit.

348DEFA8-143A-4E58-8504-D1D6D169E1BB.jpeg

C075F1C0-4279-484A-97E8-DD3FF3233AD4.jpeg

There is so much good content going on right now on the forum but I just have to go to sleep so I can’t read it now :(.

Before I go here is something I liked and want to share with you all.

Good night.

mayan

Legendary member
Friday morning jumped out of bed,
And put on my best suit.

67B273C8-DA46-476B-9F65-BB1CBF57341E.jpeg

Got something to eat and rushed like a jet,
Just to get to you.
I set up my tools with heart in my hand,
To finish building you.
Cause I know that you need to look like a champ.

0B3A716B-D077-4BEB-8EEF-4A5677DD574C.jpeg

90BE7A38-E3DF-4121-8467-B98FC38FA515.jpeg

Can I have you live for the rest of my life?
Say yes, say yes cause I need to know.

Me feeling poetic. We are only missing the electronics which I will add tomorrow morning. Now going to get ready for a holiday eve dinner.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Great looking build!
Hope you can keep her in the hanger a long while! (I've put three noses on and two wings on my first Tiny Trainer, but she's still kicking!)

mayan

Legendary member
On the way to dinner and my wife is driving so I get read the forum and overlook pictures. So looking at the bottom of my TT build I decided that I need to add a stripe of tape on the aileron too. I’ll also explain why I put the tape only on the bottom and top of the right wing and how I use the tape stripes and color scheme to help me with orientation in flight.

1) Having tape only on one wing side helps knowing right from left.
2) The bottom side has 1 stripe, the top 2 stripes and helps understand if you are right side up or upside down.
3) The nose is solid blue and the tail white which helps understand if the plane is coming towards you or going away from you.

That’s my 2 cents for now...

mayan

Legendary member
Alright well here is quick update. I haven't finished my Mini Edge build yet which is kind of annonying me, b/c I really want to start building the DR1 for my Tribuild with @kilroy07, @buzzbomb and @sundown57, see here. So far I finished building the fuselage and the hatch but things are sitting right, and the build isn't going as smooth as I expected it to be. I am not happy with my end results, and working hard on myself not throw the whole build to the trash and start fresh. Any how I thought I'd try to get my mind set changed and this morning took the plane down stairs to give the fuselage a basic paint job that will act as the base color for the rest of the paint job that I plan to give this plane.

IMG-1176.JPG

IMG-1177.JPG

Any how going to get the rest of the pieces from home so I can try finish build.
More later...

mayan

Legendary member
So I finished the Mini Edge wing halves but forget the servos at home so I couldn’t finish that part of the build and stopped there. When I got home I decided that after dinner I’ll finish adding the electronics to my new TT so that one plane will be completely built and ready for a maiden.

Tomorrow we have a trip planned and I have decided not to take any planes with me in the end, so we can enjoy the trip. I have the night shift tomorrow and want to finish the Mini Edge build them and maybe even start the DR1 build too, will have to see how that works out.

On Tuesday I have the afternoon with the kids so thought that maybe we can go maiden my new TT and have the kids practice flying theirs too.

More to come on Tuesday...

PS- I haven’t found time over the last 2/3 days to go over the threads on the forum like I like to do, so I also have some catching up to do.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I have no clue how to help with the tedge besides stating that I agree it looks like a CG issue. That slow inverted cartwheel thing was the weirdest crash I've seen. If it isn't CG or a problem still with thrust angle, it could be that the weight is noticeably off to one side or the other or something relatively heavy inside is shifting, or there could be substantial warp to the wings or to your wingtip plates. Those issues could all potentially do it.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday’s trip was absolutely fun and exhausting. We left the house pretty early in the morning and went to a mountain/forest called “Swsistherland forest”. It was freezing out side that even with 3 layers and a coat I was cold, but the view OMG!
C6439FC2-E161-48FA-AAB8-70F5805EA026.jpeg

This is also where I was initially thinking of slope soaring yesterday, but as you know decided not to take the TTs in the end. Though the idea of using this location for slope soaring seemed good it would have been the exact opposite. B/C for some weird reason the wind was coming from the side of the mountain and not the side of the lake bellow.

Since it was so cold we decided to go down to the lake to see if the wind is softer there thus less cold. When we got to the lake called the “Keneret” it was definitely warmer eventually the sun came out and the kids also got to wet their legs in the water.

8AE35FC3-CC60-45E6-9B32-162434CDD812.jpeg

After about and hour and a half at the lake we went to a city called Nazerath were we had lunch before heading home. When we got home there was still sun outside so I continued painting my new Mini Edge, setting it on fire. I told you I wasn’t happy with the build :).

21C851A1-6F8F-44D6-9090-7459802A5573.jpeg

After which I went to sleep before my night shift at work. What a night shift? He’ll yeah! Let’s finish the Mini Edge build and finalize it’s paint job. To be honest the motor was added this afternoon after I woke up from a few hours of rest after the shift, because I was stupidly having issues with how to attach it together. Might have just needed a fresh look.

EF964CC6-1007-4613-8690-DC7527718ADA.jpeg

D47E45B4-BC81-435F-82B0-474C9A7C911A.jpeg

And now I have two new planes to maiden :).
160BE33A-EA0E-4225-A89C-0F96C255579C.jpeg

When I finished adding the motor it was 16:30 and the sun was still up. So what am I going to do with my free just for myself afternoon I asked myself. Having the kids were with my mother in law picking strawberries and later going to sleep there and my wife was at work til 23. It’s to windy to maiden these for the first time, plus it’s been a while since I last went flying. So what plane can I take? What is the quickest to get ready the Simple Scout or Edge 540. Edge 540 won considering it was just missing a motor and ESC. Flew one battery on it prefect, expect for a bad landing into some cabbage. Which did this.
C3D28756-7D0E-4A5E-A152-7CAF98A9433F.jpeg

That holds the wings for those who don’t know. Didn’t have how to fix it but decided to fly the other battery any how b/c I cared less I want to fly and have fun plus the hatch does hold down the wings as well so that might just be enough. The wings held down well but I think I had a rudder issue so I brought it down and realized that the rudder wasn’t responding and on off side so I disconnected it and straightened it up. Kept flying only with elevator and ailerons, flying close and low until I got distracted by a bird that was flying close to the plane and crashed into a metal fence. That ended the day with a lot of damage to repair :).

2A4D4F0B-53DE-46ED-A8EF-81E7644081E7.jpeg

9A161201-D139-4514-A3B2-6113C2A63542.jpeg

4ADB08CE-5332-4926-95F3-9AB9E2E6DD33.jpeg

5627468A-6F35-4F28-840C-2E6C9CFA75ED.jpeg

F2B467EF-0C07-48A0-A1D9-A5A7B6FA7513.jpeg

No worries I’ll repair it at some point. When I got home I still had some time before my wife would arrive so I did this.

6481DE52-2B73-4CCB-A415-35E3967C5602.jpeg

And now after eating a good dinner with my wife while watching a movie I am off to bed.